• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Vents

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I like the idea of the vents being high up like Joel has these. Heat rises, so it is best to vent in the top area.

loose_electron

Donation Time
I like the idea of the vents being high up like Joel has these. Heat rises, so it is best to vent in the top area.
if the car is parked then yes, underway, the dynamics of the air will probably be a lot more than thermal gradients.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The biggest issue for the tigers is the areas up in the rear of tbe compartment near the firewall. The hot air collect there badly.

Ive posted it many times on the forum.. But rootes work rally tigers ran triangular vents veey high up that went back down to that area... Not pretty but effective

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
All I see is a wall of water being sent crashing into the engine compartment. I know, your supposed to drive Tigers on sunny days with the temperature between 70 and 80 F.

Tigerbill

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dam, now my desire to start cutting and fabbing is getting stoked up...grab the masking tape and start measuring...hmmmm

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here's some that I have been trying to perfect. They are to be similar to a set of vents from a Tiger I borrowed.

The angles are difficult. I have the inside about an inch higher than the outside and it rakes toward the back and downwards about an inch. Air flow seems to be good, IMO.

I believe the air flow over the hood and fenders will help force (draft) the hot engine air out.

They are being printed.

Hoping to have some final very soon,

Attachments

• 20210405_122124_resized_1[1].jpg
    20210405_122124_resized_1[1].jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 20210406_084426_resized[1].jpg
    20210406_084426_resized[1].jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 20210521_114408_resized_1[1].jpg
    20210521_114408_resized_1[1].jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 20210521_114451_resized_2[1].jpg
    20210521_114451_resized_2[1].jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 20200528_132711.jpg
    20200528_132711.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 79

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Aladin, Been awhile trying to get the right design with functional and appealing for the Alpine.

Very difficult for me.

Still working on a means of easy installation and means of securing the vent,

I would like to have a slim chrome like appearance to the outside lip that will blend in with the Alpine/Tiger Script.

My Guys are trying to please:)

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
They look great Dan. Could be another tech session topic at SUNI! And bring some of them for the parts room please.

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
if the car is parked then yes, underway, the dynamics of the air will probably be a lot more than thermal gradients.
On an Alpine, doesn't it make sense to locate them as near as possible, on the driver's side anyway, to the top of the exhaust manifold or header? Isn't that the hottest air you would like to get pulled out of the engine compartment?
With a Tiger, and all the other junk in the way, it might not be so important?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
"..........doesn't it make sense to locate them as near as possible, on the driver's side anyway, to the top of the exhaust manifold or header?

I'd say yes ! But, as heat rises, the vents should be at the uppermost position for the heat to escape.

See the PIC of an engine with headers I have included with some notes.

The "yellow" oblong block is approximate t0 the V6 exhaust headers and the frame inside the engine compartment of an Alpine (and a tiger).

There is approximately 8" from the top of the frame and the top of the header flange to where I have my vents located.

I will post the dimensions of the vents when I get back home.

Attachments

• 0766 4.0 V6 with headers    20190616_190955(0) - Copy.jpg
    0766 4.0 V6 with headers 20190616_190955(0) - Copy.jpg
    857.8 KB · Views: 37

loose_electron

Donation Time
On an Alpine, doesn't it make sense to locate them as near as possible, on the driver's side anyway, to the top of the exhaust manifold or header? Isn't that the hottest air you would like to get pulled out of the engine compartment?
With a Tiger, and all the other junk in the way, it might not be so important?

I think the most important thing is establishing a high rate of air flow through the engine compartment. I know a lot of people have electric fans at the radiator with good success. Presumably most of that air exits under the engine. Any other vent path would help improve that. Exhaust fans might help too but I think that's overkill.

Not sure if anyone has considered venting ports through the hood/bonnet - the cosmetics would be interesting and the issues during rainfall would be a concern. Probably a crazy idea?

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I think the most important thing is establishing a high rate of air flow through the engine compartment. I know a lot of people have electric fans at the radiator with good success. Presumably most of that air exits under the engine. Any other vent path would help improve that. Exhaust fans might help too but I think that's overkill.

Not sure if anyone has considered venting ports through the hood/bonnet - the cosmetics would be interesting and the issues during rainfall would be a concern. Probably a crazy idea?
Vents in the bonnet, Called louvers like on a 32 Ford or the Reverse NACA ducts like a LAT hood.

alpine_64

Donation Time

The LAT hood.. Scoop for cold air to the carb... Vents for exiting hot air from rear of engine bay.
index.php

index.php

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wonder where I've seen those pictures before...
That blue car had lots of vents that aren't readily apparent.
Too bad they were every firewall opening ;)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I tried to buy a LAT hood at the Stranton, Va 2017 meet but the guy that put it on display in the parts room disappeared before I had to leave for home.

I have considered doing some of the same mod's to one of my hoods..... Think I need to study it more, perhaps at SUNI.....Might yet make or modify something.