• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

v6 conversion?

bbonner

Donation Time
V6 Jose

Hi I am a newbie only had my alpine 1 year (regular engine 4 cylinder). Not planning on changing my car! However, After seeing the V6's around here and at the invasion and after talking with my son....he is considering eventually finding a alpine with no engine and putting a V6 in it. My question to you is...What is this conversion kit they are all talking about? What parts does it consist of and why is it needed. You can't just buy a V6 out of a mustang and put it in. What adjustments have to be made? My husband and son have put a 8 cyl chevy in a 4 cylinder s10 before so they have done something like this before. Also a 350 chevy in a 64 Chevy Nova II (that was a 6 cylinder). Not sure what the concerns are when transforming an Alpine to a V6 would like to know before he gets too involved. Bev

bbonner

Donation Time
Scott
It is very nice but part of the idea is for him and his father to do it together. They did the other conversions together. Thanks for the suggestion. Bev

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Bev,

I am the guy that sells the conversion kit. The conversion can be done without it, but because the engine compartment in the Alpine is so narrow and short, it makes for a tight fit. The kit makes it easier to install the Ford 2.8 V6 and T5 transmission into the Alpine. The conversions you mention that your husband and son have done, are simply installing a larger displacement engine, into a car that had it as an option from the factory. The conversion of the Alpine isn't just a bolt in operation. The Alpine transmission tunnel has to be slightly modified in order to give clearance for the larger transmission. The rest is pretty straight forward. Not hard or complicated, but it takes time to do it right. If you want more information about the conversion, you can send me an re-mail, or you can call jim Ellis, so you can talk to a real live person. He has done the conversion and can answer any question you might have. I look for ward to helping your son and husband getting a V6 Alpine done. They will love it.

Jose :)

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Bev,

I forgot to mention what the kit consists of. The kit contains everything you need to set the engine and transmission into the Alpine.

It contains a set of equal length tubular headers, transmission support crossmember, motor mounts, alternator bracket and adjusting strap, and modified center link. With these parts, the hardest part of the conversion can be done.

Jose

bbonner

Donation Time
Jose
Thank you. Your knowledge and help is greatly appreciated. We first have to find the body to start and then go from there. My son does autobody work for a living and they changed a 4 cyclinder to an 8 cylinder and had to adapt the body to fit the larger engine and to avoid steering etc. So it was a little more involved. But we know it takes alterations and adapting parts to fit. We will definitely keep letting you know how we are doing and look forward to your help in the conversion. Bev

lgurley

Donation Time
Kit

Bev,
I saw pictures of your car at the invasion. Sweet!! I have one of the kits in my storage room waiting for the correct engine and chassis to come along. I would be happy to send pictures if your son and husband would like to see them. Apparently they are good enough to fabricate their own but my thought is "why reinvent the wheel?".
E mail if you would like me to send pictures.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Bev,

I'm sorry if I sounded dismissive of your son's and husband's accomplishments. I really don't mean to offend anyone. What I was trying to say is that doing a conversion on an Alpine is a bit complicated, because of how restricted the space to fit any other kind of engine. Even swapping in another make four cylinder can be difficult. The 2.8 Ford V6, because of it's wierd exhaust port arrangement, is about the easiest engine to swap in. The kit parts really simplify the process. The quality of the parts (design and fabrication), is the best we can provide. I would really like to help you do a V6 Alpine, if you want one.

Jose :eek:

Jose
Thank you. Your knowledge and help is greatly appreciated. We first have to find the body to start and then go from there. My son does autobody work for a living and they changed a 4 cyclinder to an 8 cylinder and had to adapt the body to fit the larger engine and to avoid steering etc. So it was a little more involved. But we know it takes alterations and adapting parts to fit. We will definitely keep letting you know how we are doing and look forward to your help in the conversion. Bev

bbonner

Donation Time
Jose I did not mean to sound like that I just wanted to indicate that they have had to make modifications in the past and know what they are getting into. Your advice and knowledge will definitely be called upon. I didn't mean to come across that way either but I thought you thought they thought that all they had to do was drop the engine in and hook it up and off they went. They really know the work involved but look forward to the challenge. To them the fun is doing it and the satisfaction afterwards. I always want and need everyone's input and help. I just wanted to know what this kit involved and what parts came with it. Obviously we will need to get this when we get ready. First the car because unless something drastic happens to mine....not going in mine. I like her the way she is. Sorry for any remark that sounded ungrateful. By far you guys have been the greatest help to me. Thanks Bev

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hey Bev,

If you're looking for a body to do a V6 conversion, why don't you consider my original right-hand-drive SIV GT (HRO) car you saw a few weeks ago when you were down here? Now THAT would be a unique car.

Mark

mikephillips

Donation Time
You may also want to consider starting to collect some of the mechanical parts while you're waiting for the right body to come along. As I understand some of them are starting to be hard to find.

bbonner

Donation Time
Mike
Is that true? Hah I know he is looking for an engine and tranny. But I really need to know what is exactly in Jose's kit so we don't buy something that is included. Some have used Mustang motors 2.8 is that the general rule of thumb??

bbonner

Donation Time
Jose

I don't know if you told me already but what exactly is in this kit that you provide? Thanks Bev

bbonner

Donation Time
Jose's kit

Hi Jose
Larry was good enough to send me an email with the pics of what is in your kit. Great kit. This is something they will definitely need. If you have more let me know when they will be available. Thanks Bev

mikephillips

Donation Time
The used bits aren't things you'll get in Jose's kit. Although I've not done a conversion from what I've seen here some things like the bellhousing, pulleys, and timing cover are getting harder to find because they weren't on a wide range of vehicles. Jim Ellis is probably the guy to talk to and see what is the best way to go about finding what you need.

Jim E

Donation Time
The hard to get stuff

Some where on here is a big long post I did on the conversion, it is not the be all end all on the conversion but pretty much hits all the high spots and some of the low spots. Did a search but could not find it maybe someone else can locate it for you and post a link to this thread.

The hard to find items are all Mustang II bits and you need them. The best find would be a manual shift MII engine complete from the bell housing to the front pulleys.

Note the MII engine and the Ranger/Bronco II version have some internal differences. The cam bearings on the MII version are smaller than the later 2.8, so the cams do not interchange. Also the main crank shaft thrust washer configuration is different on the early motors.

To fit the 2.8 in an Alpine, and it is a very tight fit we are talking 50 thou at some points, you need to have a 2.8 with a Ranger/Bronco II rear sump oil pan. The MII has a front sump pan and will not clear. So need the R/BII pan and pick up. These are easy to get. You also need a MII timing cover and the water pump pulley and crank pulley. The MII water pump is shorter than the R/BII pump and is required due to space limits. The R/BII water pump pulley will not mount on the MII water pump. The crank pulley has to be a single groove unit to clear the cross memeber. All the MII crank pulleys I have seen will unbolt down to a single pulley. Not sure on the R/BII crank pulleys but you many require the outer pulley be machined off. I have never tried a R/BII crank pulley so am not sure they will line up with the MII water pump pulley. You also need the MII lower radiator/heater hose water necks, which are different than the R/BII necks. You want the lower necks made of aluminium if you can find good used ones. On the back of the motor you need the MII bellhousing These bells only came on the MII and the first year Fox body 2.8 mustang which is a pretty rare car. When sourcing the bell you want to get the block plate if at all posible, thin metal piece that goes between the bell and the block. For teh fly wheel the MII unit is used but there is an isuue getting a clutch kit they seem to no longer be making them so it is a part you want to source early in the game if you can find one. Most parts houses list this clutch kit but when it comes to shipping it they just do not have one. The whole clutch thing is a sort of chicken and egg deal as in can you find a MII flywheel and can you find a MII clutch kit and which do you buy first.... and what happens if you find one and not the other. You can use a R/BII flywheel instead of the MII unit but there are a couple issues. The center of the R/BII F/W where it bolts to the crank is thicker than the MII F/W and you have to chuck it up in a lath and reduce the thickness to match the MII F/W in this area. The other thing is the R/BII clutch disc has the wrong spline count so you need to have a disc made with the correct hub, not a big deal.

The MII stuff is getting a little hard to find but it is out there you just have to dig for it. Buying the MII stuff piece meal can be a little pricey and the online junk yards do not typically want to deal with the small bits like the pulleys and block plate which is why a complete manual shift MII motor is usually a good buy even if you just steal the needed bits off it and put them on a R/BII engine. Oh and a 1974 non smog 2.8 heads are really rare.

Hope that helps get you pointed in the right direction, the only other thing I sugest to anyone building an Alpine is get the nicest car you can afford, solid rust free as posible and complete.

bbonner

Donation Time
Jim Wow you have been there done this a few times it sounds like. I have printed this off to give to my son and husband. It is amazing all the work that goes into these conversions. We know that this will take time to do it right the first time. That is our hope anyways. Your information will be very helpful and i appreciate everyones input. Well we can start looking around for the parts now and then when we find a alpine so be it. But the information you supplied gives us a great place to start stock piling parts. Thank you again. Bev

Jim E

Donation Time
Oh and my SV is for sale if anyone is looking for a good start on a V6 car. The front end is totally rebuilt with poly bushings and all new bits, also has the rare Hillman dropped spindles. The car has new floors and all rust has been fixed. Most of the paint is removed, the cowl seams have been lead filled. This is just a rolling shell that has been fitted with the V6 frame mounts and has the tunnel mod completed.