• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

unleaded gas

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Everything I have read suggests that there is no problem with unleaded gas in these engines, especially engines with alloy heads and steel valve seats as long as you use high enough octane so that there is no pinging....

Tom

I've got to say, I've always used high-octane exclusively in my Sunbeam and kept it in good tune (timed properly, too), and I still had some really recessed valves, so I'm not sure that's the 'cure'. Now, I had over 100,000 miles on this motor, and that's a bit more than 5,000, so I guess that makes the difference. All the same, I'm going to replace the seats and hope for the best!

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Kevin, Oh yeah, I think it makes sense to install harder seats while you have the motor apart. But I don't think Bev needs to do that on her car. The previous owner of her car used the "lead substitutes" and recommended she use it. I think it makes the most sense to keep using it. From the MSDS sheets you can see that CD-2 "Super Concentrated Lead Subsititute" has a few additional ingredients that are not in Mystery Oil. Note, by the way, that all CD-2 products and Marvel Mystery Oil are all made by Turtle Wax company now. The additives are quite inexpensive- one 16 oz bottle does 160 gallons - that's about 4000 Miles- so why not.

Tom

mikephillips

Donation Time
To keep an eye out for valve recession pull the valve cover every now and then, how often will depend on your driving habits and mileage, and look at the valve stems. Normally you should be able to take the tops and see they form a straight line if a ruler or other straight end is laid across them. If one or more stick up above the others, then there's recession going on with it.

Nickodell

Donation Time
I'm very sorry, Nick, I wasn't picking on you at all, and please don't take it as such. Having a child with severe ADD and learning disabilities as I do, I'm just very sensitive to anything that would potentially give this horrible curse to yet another child - even in small measure - and I suppose I tend to climb on the soapbox over it.

Please don't apologise; I didn't take it that way. Congratulations on overcoming your own affliction, and my compassion at your struggle to help your own child.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
To keep an eye out for valve recession pull the valve cover every now and then, how often will depend on your driving habits and mileage, and look at the valve stems. Normally you should be able to take the tops and see they form a straight line if a ruler or other straight end is laid across them. If one or more stick up above the others, then there's recession going on with it.

Yep... or, as in my case, the symptom was a slow but steady narrowing of the gap between the rocker and the valve, requiring repeated re-adjustment of the valves.

Kevin, Oh yeah, I think it makes sense to install harder seats while you have the motor apart. But I don't think Bev needs to do that on her car. ...
Tom

Agree. As I say, mine had over 100,000 miles before it got so bad as to have to yank the head!

bbonner

Donation Time
Yes I know what pinging is in the old days it was very common. My car does not ping at all so I must be okay.