• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tool Locations

65beam

Donation Time
john,
if you're talking about the two large rubber grommets in the frame rails,i have to disagree on that. they were rubber. my series 4 has the originals and they are rubber. they are there to give you access to the rear spring hangers.

mikephillips

Donation Time
I have to agree with you Bob, the ones in my Alpine, which I've had since the early 70s, were rubber for the suspension plugs. Only tin ones I ever had were the ones in the trunk floor towards the rear.

Rootes 66

Donation Time
John
Its your car, hence its your call, I was just pointing out what I and everyone else with a Series 4 handbook would associate with being correct, the wrench in the 8 o'clock position.
The Series 5 handbook has the wrench in the 10.35 position, there being no clearance issue as there was no starting handle as standard.
Pete

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
John
Its your car, hence its your call, I was just pointing out what I and everyone else with a Series 4 handbook would associate with being correct, the wrench in the 8 o'clock position.
The Series 5 handbook has the wrench in the 10.35 position, there being no clearance issue as there was no starting handle as standard.
Pete

Hmm... my SV came with a starting handle, though. Odd.

John Boggis

Donation Time
John
Pete

Pete... I do prefer the position that you ponted out and shown in the handbook... as it is just a matter of turning the wrench around on the two clips I will change it next time I go into the cars air chamber.

I will scan the Rootes sales brochure and post the picture tomorrow so you can see the wrench in the other direction.

65beam

Donation Time
i think it's time to go back to enjoying the cars and not worry about piddly things. there was a low mileage series 4 GT in this country for years that had every option on it. it had quite a story behind it also. even more than john's car. those of you that know tiger tom know the car i'm talking about. TT and i were discussing that car just a few days ago. it was sold several years ago to a canadian and he literally drove it to death. it was driven every day. he enjoyed the car and that is what it is all about. for what it's worth,i checked several of my sales literature and some show john's jack handle to be in the right position,just at the wrong angle.

Rootes 66

Donation Time
I was actually offered Johns car by the Greens back in 1995, at that time I felt it was more a Museum motor than a regular driver,
With its pedigree you would only feel to be Its Custodian rather than its owner.
My parting shot

Pete

John Boggis

Donation Time
Pete...I could not agree with you more. This special Alpine is not for driving every day it is too rare a car. It is not just it's originality but the incredible condition it is still in after 45 years! How many Alpines have never had any body work done on them and still have all the original rubber seals in A1 condition with seats that still look like new.

The only way any classic car can look and stay in this condition is not to use it! And Pete you are right as I do feel I am just a custodian for the few years I will own this car. I still see the previous owner Mike Green now and then and have said to him I still feel the car is more his than mine.

I own a few classics and get different things out of all of them. I drive a classic Merc for my every day use (11000 miles last year) but only take the Alpine out in the summer...last year I covered 500 miles. What I do enjoy is getting the detail correct on the car...like this thread on which way the tools are placed in the boot.:)

Limey

Donation Time
This is all great information for Series 3GT, Series IV, now I should be able to get the trunk of our 3GT and IV ST fixed up. Now something that has not been addressed, so far as I can see, what is the correct location for the tool bag, jack, jack handle, crank, lug wrench and knock-off hammer for the Series I and II? :confused:

Me to Bob,

Never mind these 'Johny come lately' Alpines:D;) Any Serious S11 Gurus out there to help us brothers of the true 'finned' faith?

Limey

Donation Time
i think it's time to go back to enjoying the cars and not worry about piddly things..

Not wrong but every Alpine has it's place on the road but only a very few have a place in history. Should Mr B drive his car 25000mls a year it wouldn't be the same afterwards. Personally I don't want John to knacker his car. It is so rare, I am glad that John is its careful, learned and loving custodian and does not plan to rag it back to ordinariness. When my resto is done it may have cost much more than Johns is worth BUT his car is and will remain the more important historical example. Indeed the more I drive my 'perfect' resto the more patina it will get. Johns car has all the patina it will ever need. I know JB personally and he drives it in the rain and never trailers it.

Personally I love any Alpine with an enthusiastic owner, condition and originallity is secondary to that enthusiasm. V6? Avenger Holbay? Lime green paint job? I don't care. It's alive and being driven and not scrapped.

I suggested the 'factory correct' forum as a repository of information not 'perfectionists spin off' and I am so relieved that there is no elitism in our club. Every Alpine is equal!

65beam

Donation Time
locations

limey,
i appreciate what john is doing with this car. it is an original car and is a cut above most. it probably is the nicest in the U.K. are there no other cars as original as it ? another could pop up in a different part of the world. but if you guys plan on placing it on a gold throne,you better do it. the next owner may decide to show it off and drive it into the ground. or do a tiger or V6 conversion to it. not spend their time being a caretaker.just let me know when it comes up for sale.

alpine_64

Donation Time
the next owner may decide to show it off and drive it into the ground. or do a tiger or V6 conversion to it. not spend their time being a caretaker.just let me know when it comes up for sale.

I thin kyou will find owners of these cars will only pass them on to people who they know appreciate them for what they are.. and will treat them accordingly.

As for the example you gave of that original optioned alpine being driven into the ground.. well that just makes me sad.

Concourse restored cars are great.. modified restored cars are great.. but a car is only original once, and after a resotration they are not the same.. they might even be better.. but they are no longer factory.

65beam

Donation Time
locations

michael,
current owners may not want to sell to certain people, but sometimes they may get a surprise down the road. i own a car that the original owner did not want to sell to one person. he sold it to another person that sold it to the person that originally wanted it. i bought it from that owner a few years later. stranger things have happened! i just recently bought an item that i was told i couldn't buy. anything can be accomplished if you work your connections.

alpine_64

Donation Time
michael,
current owners may not want to sell to certain people, but sometimes they may get a surprise down the road. i own a car that the original owner did not want to sell to one person. he sold it to another person that sold it to the person that originally wanted it. i bought it from that owner a few years later. stranger things have happened! i just recently bought an item that i was told i couldn't buy. anything can be accomplished if you work your connections.

i'm not going to let you turn my MKIA into a SV Tipine.. :D

alpine_64

Donation Time
John,

The problem with rootes brochures in period is they tended to colour over photos.. you will notice that in the brochure there is no plug on the RHS at all.. and we know that to be wrong.

Best bet will be a picture from a period road test pref with a light couloured car.. will see if i can find one in the gold portfolio book.. i know they tested a red SIVGT auto..

alpine_64

Donation Time
OK,,

the best examples i could see are on the gorld portfolio pages:

page 46 .. S3GT.. seems to have a rubber plug on a red car (guess on colour)

page 96.. White MKI tiger with the false floor up.. black plugs.

65beam

Donation Time
locations

john,
on the back of the brochure in the bottom left corner is a number.i have #7745ex and it has the same photo. if you notice ,the trunk latch appears to be red also.we know that's not right. this is for the early cars with nonsyncro 1st gear. #7773 is for later cars and it shows the same photo. #1091h also has the same photo. if you notice,they all show the motor painted GOLD and we know that's not right. the plugs were black rubber, not metal. i do have some that are painted but they are from cars with a respray,