• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

tonneau studs

bing

Donation Time
The holes for the tonneau studs on my dash in my Series V are covered by the dash pad. I would like to install the studs to accommodate my new tonneau cover. Can someone out there look at theirs and provide a measurement that might get me close to where they are. Then I can stick a pin through the pad to get spot on. Thank you.

agmason54

Donation Time
Bing
Why not clip the tonneau cover on to the studs right behind the wing windows and use the tonneau itself to locate the holes. I would use a paint marker through the lift dots,remove the cover and then probe around with a needle at the paint mark.
The other option is to stand on your head and find the holes from the bottom...
Agm

bing

Donation Time
Thanks for the suggestion. Problem is the tonneau doesn't have any female connectors on it yet so I have to find the holes first. How many studs on the dash?
Bing

agmason54

Donation Time
The plot thickens...I thought all tonneau covers already had the 'lift dots' attached. I will look for some SV pictures that may help but I think you really need to find the holes from below to eliminate any guess work.
Agm

bing

Donation Time
The tonneau didn't come with the connectors which I have purchased. The underside is upholstered as well. I guess I could just make my own holes, screw in the studs and then line up the female connectors. Should there be a total of 4 on the dash?

RootesRich

Donation Time
The SV tonneau stud locations are offset an inch or two from the centerline of the dash.
The earlier series cars had the studs screwed into the defroster vent mounts. I actually prefer this installation, so if you're not a purist you might want to consider this method as you won't have to poke hundreds of holes in your dashpad looking for the factory pilot hole.

bing

Donation Time
The tonneau won't stretch that far to reach the vents. I'm sure there will be other suggestions.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Stud locations??

Might be that your cover is not adequately designed for your car?

What's the source?

Perhaps others on this Forum might be interested in where it came from or was it locally fabricated?

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Do you have any plans to put a new seal in your windshield? If so , I would wait until you have the screen out to install the studs. It will be easier. Also, tonneaus' love heat and will stretch out nicely to fit if they have been sized correctly.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I had to do this 25 years or so ago when I replaced my dash pad and if I remember correctly, I was able to poke a needle through the holes from under the dash. It took a while to locate them through all of the wires, but I am pretty sure that is how I did it.

johnd

Donation Time
Speaking on tonneau's, does anybody know if the the size of the late series tonneaus are different from the early series. I received a brand new tonneau (no fasteners installed either) when I bought my SII but it appears to be too small.

agmason54

Donation Time
Early SI & SII tonneau covers have a large thumb shaded flap that snaps to the winshield and if you open the door without unsnapping it it will rip. I'm told that SIII tonneaus are unique to them selves. I turned down two SV tonneaus for one SIII. SIV an SV are the same.I like 1789s idea the best.
If you just put the studs just anywhere on the dash it will throw off final fit besides drilling a new hole would be impossible with the windshield in the way. At this point I would get a flashlight and start looking up under the dash. You are not a true Alpine owner if you have not done this.
The only way to install a tonneau is to start at the front and pull everything back. If it is after sundown mine will not go on at all. The heat from the sun is critical.
I have noticed that the studs and lift dot system will not hold the cover down while cruising past 60. I drilled tiny holes in my rear studs and stick a wire clip though them. The clips are from any hardware store and look like a miniature horse blanket pin. It beats having the cover rise up and smack you in the head.For the sides I just use cord looped over the door knob button.
This is my car loaded to the gills heading east with all my gear including a Crow tipi stuffed under the tonneau being held by the clips and string.

Attachments

• 102_6089 (Large).jpg
    102_6089 (Large).jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 60

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
First question is were did the tonneau come from? If there were no prestodots on the cover I would send it back and order one from Rick at SS.
If you are not going to take the widshield frame off anytime soon the best way to locate the holes is from under the dash.:eek:

bing

Donation Time
With respect to drilling a new hole, it wouldn't be impossible (due to the windshield) because the length of the tonneau appears to reach only about 3-4" on to the dash. It is made by Robbins.That is a great photo! I would think you would work your way forward from the rear because you have a frame of reference with the existing studs which currently end at the wing window. If I figure this out I'll change my name from Bing (grandmother's maiden name) to TONNEAU STUD.

agmason54

Donation Time
Bing
Here is a picture of a SV tonneau stud where the factory installed it. I have no more to say about without repeating myself and many others.
Agm

Attachments

• 102_5456 (Large).jpg
    102_5456 (Large).jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 73

agmason54

Donation Time
Jim
Someone on here wanted to trade me two SV covers for one SIII and I passed. Looking at these pictures I can see no difference. The cover on the ground is SV and you can see the the SIII cover in place.I think I should have traded.... Oh well win some lose the rest.
Albert

Attachments

• 102_5462 (Large).jpg
    102_5462 (Large).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 102_6232 (Large).jpg
    102_6232 (Large).jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 48

greenbean

Donation Time
Bing ---
As a novice in installing the SS vinyl boot cover over the stowed convertible top on my Series V, I noted that it was easier to install it in May after I had laid the item in the hot 100 degree sun for an hour and it gave it some "give" and "growth" as opposed to installing it in the winter when it was cold and more "stiff". Someone once told me that upholstory people some times "normalize or warm" vinyl when it is cold before installation.

Russ:)

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, it is true that installing vinyl in the warm sun is *far* easier. However, I offer a caution - don't install it so that it's tight when you install it warm. If you do, when it gets cold and that vinyl shrinks you'll either tear holes where the fasteners are, or you won't be able to install it at all. I install them when warm, but I give them plenty of slack to allow for those chilly days when you're gonna want to install it.

agmason54

Donation Time
Beamers,
I have never had to install fittings on a tonneau cover.All the covers I ever had came ready to use and fit like a glove at the right temperature.I have never seen one tear from cooling down but they are impossible to install when cold.

The only way I would consider a new top without 'lift dots' is to have a known good fitting cover and use it as a template.On warm day I would lay the old one on top of the new one and starting at the front center tack the new one to the ground going through the 'lift dots'in the old one with an awl,nail or phillips screw driver. With the front pinned down and stretched out I would pull both covers from the back and poke holes accordingly. When finished you should have two perfectly flat covers with the holes in the new cover where they should be.
I think it's a sad state of affairs when Robbins sells a tonneau cover without pre-installed 'lift dots'. Mine is an Ammco I got from Jaars a long time ago and has been repaired a thousand times which to me gives it character...
A SV boot cover just lays there unstressed where a tonneau cover take a real beating. I see no real comparison between them.
Agm