• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

tonneau studs

RootesRich

Donation Time
Bing,
While scanning an article for another member, I came across a repro of the Factory installation instructions for fitting a tonneau. It contains measurements that you may find useful.
PM me your e-mail address if interested and I'll forward you a pdf.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim
Someone on here wanted to trade me two SV covers for one SIII and I passed. Looking at these pictures I can see no difference. The cover on the ground is SV and you can see the the SIII cover in place.I think I should have traded.... Oh well win some lose the rest.
Albert

Other than the locations for the front studs the Series 3, IV, and V should all be identical. I think you should have made that trade!

Al mentioned in an earlier thread the Series I and II tonneaus had those "thumbs" that wrap around the windshield frame and snap on. To further confuse things people need to know that Series I and early Series II's had studs in the trunk (boot), with the material slipping in between the body and trunk panel. I'm not sure if all Series I cars had this but I've seen it on both series. I actually like this set up better (less holes in the body) but I'm not aware of anyone currently reproducing tonneaus this way. I'll bet Al has a pic of this arrangement for those who have never seen it.

agmason54

Donation Time
Scott,
Now that you mention it I have seen the studs where you mention in what I would call the drain train of the boot. I have never seen a use for them. I'll try to find a picture for ya
Al

agmason54

Donation Time
tonneau cover pictures

Scott,
I usually take pictures of people,( mainly 'prairie flowers') dogs and mountains but if you look closely you'll see in the second picture a stud down inside the boot drain area. The first picture shows the 'thumb 'piece attaching to the windshield. You'll also see a stick jammed in the window to keep it from rattling. I think at this point I gave up on drilling the studs because the wire horse blanket clips sawed right through the studs. I now attach the tonneau down with lag screws. I love abusing Alpines.My cars are all masculine and can take it. The third pic show the rear stud locations. You also may notice my cover sits high in the middle because I prop it up that way with a stick to tuck my self in further to keep warmer.A tonneau installed makes an excellent excuse to refuse rides to bums, they conceal all your stuff and make a nice table for my 'marketing devise'. I also showed you my kind of flowers....
Later
Albert

Attachments

• 102_3862 (Large).jpg
    102_3862 (Large).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 102_3861 (Large).jpg
    102_3861 (Large).jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 102_3845 (Large).jpg
    102_3845 (Large).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 69
  • 102_5787 (Large).jpg
    102_5787 (Large).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 74
  • 102_5922 (Large).jpg
    102_5922 (Large).jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 65

agmason54

Donation Time
Hmmmm
It seems to me that SV has the Lift Dot studs in a different location on the dash than Slll&lV..
¿?....

agmason54

Donation Time
The Book SAOC The Alpine Guide from England

DantheMan
It would be easier to eyeball a couple cars....
Curiosity got the best of me so l looked it up.
The article sectionO (body)page 15 issue 1 talks about drilling holes all over the place then at the end of the articles says-
THIS IS GENUINE ROOTES INFORMATION BUT I WOULD PERSONALLY IGNORE IT...
It goes on to describe studs where I am used to seeing them.
Its a great bunch of articles made into a book but aint worth a hoot in this case...
I will do it the old fashion way and cast my gaze on a few specimens but l think Robbins knows their stuff.
Big Al

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Bing,
There are a couple steps you should have taken when installing the new dash for locating the new studs, you will probubly not forget the next time.
While the old dash pad is off, and before installing the new, you drill small holes through the second layer of the dash metal (there are two layers) using the old stud holes as a guide. After installing the new dash pad, you simply lay on your back side, find the pilot holes, and run a needle up through the upper layer through your pad, and wala! You have the correct location. This is all so easy before you have the dash back in or your windscreen back on.

Since you don't have the pilot holes for location, your best bet is to:
Through careful measuring, get as close to the location from the underside as you can. Using a small hole saw, like a spot weld remover size, take a plug out of the first layer. You should be able to located the hole from there.
CAUTION: There is not much room between the first layer and the second, the closer you get to the windscreen. So a pilot drill can only be enough depth to get you started. Or you will be putting in a new pad. :)

The holes for the tonneau studs on my dash in my Series V are covered by the dash pad. I would like to install the studs to accommodate my new tonneau cover. Can someone out there look at theirs and provide a measurement that might get me close to where they are. Then I can stick a pin through the pad to get spot on. Thank you.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bing, I have the SAOC - The Alpine Guide published by the club in the UK.

In the Section O (Body) there is a document that covers the Tonneau Cover and gives measurements for the stud locations.

If you wish a "copy" of that page "015" send me your E-mail

P.S. Big AL made some comments that are probably worth reading. The factory stuff can be misleading. However I did utilize the "page o15" to do my SV.

Last edited:

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
And that's the way it should be. Studs on first, female buttons on after locations are determined.

Thanks for the suggestion. Problem is the tonneau doesn't have any female connectors on it yet so I have to find the holes first. How many studs on the dash?
Bing

65beam

Donation Time
studs

it's better if you use the studs that use a nut instead of the screw in type wherever possible. as the cover shrinks it tends to pull on the studs and if they are the screw in type they will stretch the sheet metal and enlarge the hole and out they come. I learned this from doug at tiger auto many years ago when he restored the first car for us.

agmason54

Donation Time
studs...

Beamers
For some reason SV tonneau covers have the studs in the dash and pad.All others use the defrost vents mounted with threaded studs....
lf l had a cover with no lift-dots l would copy the early style and never try to drill a hole inthe dash
Agm

agmason54

Donation Time
Bob
l dont doubt it.My SlV is early and has VIN number sixty something in light metalic green.Iwould not be surprized to see studs in the vents on a SV or not at all since the manual Dan the Man sent me tells where to drill holes for them which is far fetched at best but is great for confusing the masses.Thebest solution is to have at least one of each three LH style tonneau covers.
Al

65beam

Donation Time
studs

al,
I think there is still one nos Chrysler cover in the attic. I don't remember what series it's for but it's not a heated attic so I'm not going up there now. it's still in the old packaging so it might crumble if I tried to unfold it now. I'm wondering if it has any kind of a template or instructions for the stud location. I wrote a note so i'll remember to check it out. I also have nos azure blue and red carpeting in the original Chrysler packaging.