• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger alternator bracket

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I know there is an aftermarket aluminium alternator bracket for the Tiger, but the price is a bit too high for me at the moment. Does anyone have a drawing, so that I can make one myself or maybe know of an alternative?

Thank you, Robin.

V_Mad

Donation Time
I made this bracket from a single piece of steel bar, approx 0.25x2x12 inches. Just drill two holes to mount onto the head, and one hole for the alternator. You also need a piece of steel tube as a spacer to mount it as you can see from the pic. The alternator is Lucas 18ACR as used on many classics. I reused the stock adjustment bracket too, just needed a slight bend in a vice.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Google 1965 ford alternator bracket. I've seen chromed brackets listed for under $15. These are the stock factory units. I've found and pulled two different designs off cars in junk yards. Either one should work. Jeff

64beam

Donation Time
Thank you for the replies to my question. I'm not one hundred percent sure, but did'nt the Tiger's have specially built brackets due to the size of the engine bay. So that would mean that not all Ford alternator brackets would fit. Am I correct in saying this?

Thanks, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
I made this bracket from a single piece of steel bar, approx 0.25x2x12 inches. Just drill two holes to mount onto the head, and one hole for the alternator. You also need a piece of steel tube as a spacer to mount it as you can see from the pic. The alternator is Lucas 18ACR as used on many classics. I reused the stock adjustment bracket too, just needed a slight bend in a vice.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the pictures you posted. Does the Lucas 18ACR require a separate regulator or is it built into the alternator? With the single bar holding the alternator, how stiff is the mounting?

Thanks, Robin.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Brackets that hang the generator/alternator down low won't work, there's not enough room for them. I have seen a couple of 50s/60s Ford brackets to mount it like the Tiger off the cylinder head, but I don't know the specific applications.

V_Mad

Donation Time
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the pictures you posted. Does the Lucas 18ACR require a separate regulator or is it built into the alternator? With the single bar holding the alternator, how stiff is the mounting?

Thanks, Robin.

The Lucas 18ACR is a bolt on job, complete with regulator.
The mounting did not need any extra bracing, as the steel used was 1/4 inch thick, and very rigid. That's why I thought it was a good easy way to do it.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
I intend to use this bracket for my set up. Stamped on the back side is
DU0E 104336-A. If someone can decode this # you'll know where to find them. I found it on a 1964 289 five bolt bell that was installed in a 1963 Fairlane. That car was far from stock besides having an alternator!!! The alt hung down from this bracket just like the generator and was steadied by an adjusting arm bracket. The bracket is secured with two bolts to the head and has two threaded bosses for the alt. bolts, the boss shaded in chalk has a broken bolt in it and was pointed down.

66Tiger

Donation Time
It says this is for left side mounting. Might not clear the header tank, and you would have to move the stock oil filter.

...it may say left side but if you look at the picture...the alternator is clearly on the passenger side or the right side...

Paul

64beam

Donation Time
...it may say left side but if you look at the picture...the alternator is clearly on the passenger side or the right side...

Thanks for the previous link. It is definately for the correct side of the motor. The seller says it is on the left as it is on the left when looking at the motor front on. Which bolts does it use to bolt on to the motor and what are the forums thoughts on this being suitable for the Tiger?

Thanks, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I have found a member in the local club who is going to let me borrow his Mk 2 alternator bracket. At least this way, I know I will not have any clearance issues and save myself from buying a bracket that will not work in the Tiger (I did like the link to the aluminium bracket posted earlier though). Once I have some dimensions, I can post them if people are interested.

Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
On a bit of an off-shoot from the bracket, for those that made the conversion from generator to alternator. Did you notice a difference in starting, etc after the swap or no real difference?

Thanks, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I now have in my hot little hands the borrowed Mk II alternator bracket and I have started to measure it up for a drawing. For those who have not seen a Mk II bracket, there is quite a difference in offset between the alternator and generator bracket (the mounting points are indentical). I will post a drawing when complete.

Regards, Robin.