• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tallest Tire possible on 15" wheels

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
SPending $2000 for a Dana third member to have the 2.8L lope easily at modern FWY speeds is out of the budget for my Alpine. Anyone running larger tires than the
195.55.15 which are 23.5" tall. I have found 205.60.15 that are 1.5 inches taller. The issue is will they clear on the rear. And will that 1.5 inches taller make any significant difference in the cruising speed? ( math was my worst subject)

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I spent far less than that to put a dana 44 from a postal jeep under my Alger. 3.07 gears and traclok.

alpine_64

Donation Time
SPending $2000 for a Dana third member to have the 2.8L lope easily at modern FWY speeds is out of the budget for my Alpine. Anyone running larger tires than the
195.55.15 which are 23.5" tall. I have found 205.60.15 that are 1.5 inches taller. The issue is will they clear on the rear. And will that 1.5 inches taller make any significant difference in the cruising speed? ( math was my worst subject)
What trans are you running? Most v6 swaps have a 5 speed.... Even if you had a 3.89 and a 5speed with a .8 ratio that will be ok at highway speeds...

If you can get below 3000rpm at 65mph the cars are comfortable

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Usable tire height, at least in front, is highly dependent on wheel offset. Low offset pushes the tire into the valence when turning.
Bill

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
You won't be able to get much more than a 24" tire in front because of the lower valance. Also the most positive offset you have will make it worse.

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
Forgot to post that I have the 5spd. Still begs the question how tall is the tire on 15" wheel that anyone able to fit under rear wheels?
Calculator was great. By going to a 205.50.15 I can get the revs down to 3200 at 62MPH which is fine with me.
I plan to lower the car in back so that it looks like the cars on the banner above. Love that look. What think about dumping the car in back as far as possible and then putting 13s on front?

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
This thread has made me curious.

Anybody know what today's cost would be for a complete, good condition Dana 44 Tiger rear end with the original 2.88:1 gear ratio?

Would anything other than the fabrication of a new drive shaft to connect the T-5 and Dana be required for installation in an Alpine?

Last edited:

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
Interesting but, where would one find a diff from a Tiger? And would the gears fit inside the Alpine housing or are you considering replacing teh entire axle with housing?
After consideration 205.50.15 tires should easily fit in the back cause they are only
3/4 inch taller from center of axle than the 195.55.15. Right now I can fit my entire hand between top of tire and inner fender.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I think he is referring to a complete rear end, differential, axles and all. The third member would for sure not fit in the alpine housing.

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
I will take measurements to be sure valance does not get in way of larger tires.
A new diff is too big a project and more money that I want to put into this car. I have six cars, one a 505hp Vette. They all need attention. RIght now the TRYgrrr is taking most of my. time.
THanks all for the thoughts.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I will take measurements to be sure valance does not get in way of larger tires.
A new diff is too big a project and more money that I want to put into this car. I have six cars, one a 505hp Vette. They all need attention. RIght now the TRYgrrr is taking most of my. time.
THanks all for the thoughts.
The issue on the front is when you turn the wheels the problem will be the outer wheel in the corner, its leading outer edge as it turns in can grab the lower front valence and will twist it.

Another thing to consider on the rear is the arch lip where the pinch welds are...Unless it is rolled or trimmed the wider and taller the tyre and the lower you have the body there is a chance the tyre will contract the lip damaging the tyre sidewall

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
thanks alpine64. Things certainly to consider. That is why I posted to get experience of others. Like will teh 205.60.15 fit in the rear? Will front 165.45.15 cause problems with steering?

alpine_64

Donation Time
thanks alpine64. Things certainly to consider. That is why I posted to get experience of others. Like will teh 205.60.15 fit in the rear? Will front 165.45.15 cause problems with steering?
The tyre and wheel git questions have to be broad answers...

There are so many factors different car to car... Ride height from and rear, rolled or trimmed lips, trimmed lower front valence, wheel offset, brand of tyre and their actual sidewall profile, drop spindles... If the car is straight and hasn't had a love tap...

The basic answer is the stock wheels and tyres work .. after that...once you go more than 6" wide wheels you are case by case... And also the wider and taller you go... The more the offset matters

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
The issue on the front is when you turn the wheels the problem will be the outer wheel in the corner, its leading outer edge as it turns in can grab the lower front valence and will twist it.

Another thing to consider on the rear is the arch lip where the pinch welds are...Unless it is rolled or trimmed the wider and taller the tyre and the lower you have the body there is a chance the tyre will contract the lip damaging the tyre sidewall
Disagree with your comment on the rear, in fact the lower the car is the MORE clearance you will have as the front of the opening actually leans back some. Thus the lower the rear is, the high point of the tire diameter will be ABOVE that close front leading edge.
Got 5 bucks?

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I am running 15x6, 185/55/15 on front. 15x7, 205/50/15 on back, offset is 25 front and 20 rear on a cut down Mazda RX7 rear axle on my lowered series 2 and they JUST fit without hitting and yes my rear fenders are rolled and the valence trimmed, both front and rear are 24" tall. I am not sure a larger tire will fit without hitting. P.S I have 4.07 and a 5speed with a .8 ratio behind a Mazda Miata motor and it cruises 70mph at 3400rpm with a 7500rpm redline.
IMG_4028-X2.jpg

IMG_3720-X2.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Disagree with your comment on the rear, in fact the lower the car is the MORE clearance you will have as the front of the opening actually leans back some. Thus the lower the rear is, the high point of the tire diameter will be ABOVE that close front leading edge.
Got 5 bucks?
If you read what I wrote.. I am saying if you lower the rear and have a larger rolling radius/taller tyre there will be a chance that the tyre sidewall will rub or catch on the inner seam where the spot welds are ....on THE REAR.

It's a seperate issue than that on the front...
So while lowering the back may help front clearance he wants to gear the rear up to raise the effective final drive... So is looking at putting larger rears.. he even thought about smaller fronts.

So save your 5 bucks for Frankenstein's monster ....