• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV Transmission Removal

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks @husky drvr , I was going to use 80w-90, is that too heavy? I am in So Cal with lots of warm/hot days and some stop and go driving. I haven't added anything yet, but that is what I had planned. Thanks!

Steeman01,

Yes, too heavy. More importantly, the sulfur compounds in gear oil can combine with moisture to form acids that will dissolve the brass synchro rings. If you want to use a thicker oil, then use SAE 40 or SAE 50 engine oil. In terms of viscosity, the SAE 50 is near the same as your 80W-90.The thicker oils will work, but can cause cold shifting to be more sluggish and may not lube the needle rollers very well until warmed.