• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV in NJ

RootesRacer

Donation Time
In the racing Alpines I've watched, the biggest handicap is not having a limited-slip diff. From Ian's postings years ago, I think they do exist, but there are about five of them or something like that.

I think if cross-marque parts sourcing were allowed, that would be the first point of attack. But I don't know for sure if it's allowed or not.

It all depends on the specific racing org and class but in general if you are called on the carpet for what looks like cheating, you will need to provide homologation docs or factory catalogs to support your use non standard parts.

For instance, Solo uses FIA groupings to classify what contemporary group to put an old vehicle into. They also have modified classes where you can do pretty much what you want if you dont violate class requirements.
Most vintage race orgs also follow the old FIA class groupings.

Most real racing groups arent going to let you race an engine that wasnt in that exact vehicle as homologated for that year.
Many vintage groups will overlook a 1725 in a series 1 but they dont have to.

Items for series sunbeams that could be proven homologated include perspex windscreen/windows, spicer/dana 23 powr-lok limited slip (with special axles).
You may be able to convince some orgs that since the harrington had factory twin DCOEs, the alpine could have too.
In short, if you have factory docs that the car could have been ordered this way, you have a good argument to let it race that way.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jarrid,

In theory if a class runs to FIA homologation papers the alpine can run twin dco ( not dcoe) Weber's as the fact Tory did homologate them for series ii. They ran them at lemans in 63 and on the tdf.

I used to have the FIA papers on my old webshot page

mototron

Donation Time
My race group is pretty loose .
its about having fun and coming home in one piece
I think if i had something period like a kent motor
it would be fine
I tried putting a Sunbeam Logo on the S2000 engine in my series V
But that did not go over well

I have had plenty of 1725 motors
and they ran strong but do not hold up ,even with Carillo rods,
JE pistons, Hard Chromed Cranks ,Modified oil pumps & Pans .

It would be nice to have a motor that you could buy off
the shelf race parts for (Like MGs) that are affordable .

But everyone and there mothers races MGs

alpine_64

Donation Time
Rocco,

If the Alfa motor would fit.. heaps of race parts... Nice looks and sounds good...and reliable power.. + the 5 speed.

images

1972_Alfa_Romeo_GTAm_For_Sale_Replica_Engine_resize.jpg

65beam

Donation Time
SV

As Rocco said some groups do over look things. SVRA requires the use of original style engines and transmission as fitted originally. Engine mounts also need to be as original. Will the group that Rocco runs in allow a Miata engine in an Alpine? There's lots of stuff for them.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
How about Shelby's V8, In the Alpine being substituted with the 2.8 or 4.0 V6 OHV? There are a lot of performance parts available? The Cologne could (?) be considered a "like" engine to the FORD V8 in the Tiger :)