• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV in NJ

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Interesting. I think pictures 18, 19 and 20 show 3 different cars, or large amounts of work between pictures.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I believe 20 is in there as a comparison?

PIC 19 is apparently the same car years ago?

And it looks like there is a good bit of rust (Not showing).;)

alpine_64

Donation Time
I believe 20 is in there as a comparison?

PIC 19 is apparently the same car years ago?

And it looks like there is a good bit of rust (Not showing).;)

I think you are correct.. pic 20 is a tiger... Assume to show the "ford racing rims like the tigers had"? Despite not actually really showing the wheels.

I'm guessing it has minilite style wheels... Ironically not shown on the car.

Many questions to be answered....

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Quote:

"Last five pics are examples only of what could be not mine".

The OP is forthcoming that the last 5 pics are for comparison only.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I'm not convinced this new garage even exists. We need to see some pics, so we can second-guess all the decisions you've agonized about over the past year. Yeah, that would be fun. :)

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I'll take care of that shortly. But, the important thing to realize is that - at least for now - the garage dwarfs the house. As it should be for all true car guys!

65beam

Donation Time
Series 5

We used to joke with John Engle about his garage with a house attached. Jim, I think you know John. He's in Dayton.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'll take care of that shortly. But, the important thing to realize is that - at least for now - the garage dwarfs the house. As it should be for all true car guys!
Auh! Here in my area the Zoning Law says you can't have a garage larger than the house....Nuts!! I've been thinking of moving,

DanR

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Auh! Here in my area the Zoning Law says you can't have a garage larger than the house....Nuts!! I've been thinking of moving,

DanR

We have the same requirement here, but the planning board let it slide because 1) our house is only 780 sq ft at the moment 2) we submitted plans to both add the freestanding garage (it is only a large 2 car 23'x24') but has a 12X24 cabana up front and the area over the garage is set up to be a multipurpose rec area and 3) the footprint of the garage/cabana is only slightly larger than the footprint of the house. The plans also included a small pool between the house and the garage/cabana (hence the 'cabana') although the reality is that the likelihood of the pool ever being built is probably pretty small. Hopefully, we will be able to afford the second story on the house when we are done with the garage, but that is by no means a sure thing at this point. Still, I don't think we would have gotten approval for any one part alone.

Boy, this thread has certainly drifted a long way from the SV for sale in NJ!

65beam

Donation Time
SV

Jim,
This is off subject of the original thread but if you have a nice shade tree by your new garage make sure you install garage doors on both sides. This allows you to drive thru the garage and work under the tree. That makes you a true shade tree mechanic. This section is attached to our shop. It will hold three Beams.

Attachments

• 105_0010.jpg
    105_0010.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

mototron

Donation Time
Lets get off topic
Thoughts on a period motor swap for a Alpine in the Sixtys
Besides Sunbeam and V8 Ford Engines
That Might be acceptable for Vintage Racing .
A Swap that has been done in that Era .
Then we can make it Happen at Jims new Shop

Thanks
Rocco

alpine_64

Donation Time
Lets get off topic
Thoughts on a period motor swap for a Alpine in the Sixtys
Besides Sunbeam and V8 Ford Engines
That Might be acceptable for Vintage Racing .
A Swap that has been done in that Era .
Then we can make it Happen at Jims new Shop

Thanks
Rocco
Rocco,

Width and bonnet clearance always an issue...But a lotus/ford twink or even better Alfa 105 twink with associated 5 speed.... Lots of polished alloy and big dcoes

65beam

Donation Time
sv

Rocco,
Correct me if I'm wrong but do any vintage groups allow using an engine from another marque? SVRA allows the use of later series Alpine parts on early series Alpines but on what might be called production classes I've never seen engine swaps of this type.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
In the racing Alpines I've watched, the biggest handicap is not having a limited-slip diff. From Ian's postings years ago, I think they do exist, but there are about five of them or something like that.

I think if cross-marque parts sourcing were allowed, that would be the first point of attack. But I don't know for sure if it's allowed or not.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I really hate to hijack Rocco's thread, but I will point out that the SV in NJ is now down to $1500. Even for a parts car, that seems like a decent deal for this car.

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/6038757084.html

And, Bob, sadly, the design of the garage doesn't allow for a second set of garage doors. And, since they finished sanding the drywall yesterday, I think it is a little late to change the design. ;)

OK, back to all of the other things we are discussing in this thread.