• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam 2000 build

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Started with the hood, got it all sanded down and shot it with temporary paint. Working on the driver side fender now. Oh what fun!

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
My metal supply store has started closing on Friday's so I could not get any sheet metal until yesterday. Today was spent working on finishing up a studio above my workshop. Got two walls done and two windows installed as well as rough wiring for two lights and a double outlet box.

Last edited:

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Studio is buttoned up and ready for sheetrock. Time to get back on the SUN2K.
I am moving the amber side marker lights up front behind the headlights. Got the wiring done and extended the old side marker light wires to route them into the doors to possibly add them to the mirrors. I will start to replace the fenders now.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Here is where I am with the new driver's side fender. Yes, it is shaped by hand and lots of patience. I think it looks much better, also decided to delete the ridge at the top of the fender and fade it out behind the headlight.

20200806_111225.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Decided to replace my bus bar with a fuse box. Stock picture as no room to take a pic after installation. Needed it for the headlight relays, driving lights and PRHT functions. It will also allow me to add circuits if needed. Easy to install, affordable and I like the led notifications.
Fuse Junction.png

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I mated them with some stiffer springs and adjustable spring perches to lower the center of gravity a bit. If I can find some Koni Double Adjustable shocks it would be even better.adjustable spring perch.jpg

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Is there a part number on the mirror, anywhere?
I’m thinking mid-80’s Mercury Cougar

Last edited:

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Good catch Mike!
I will look for a part number when I get them, prelim check does match. Is it possible that the Thunderbirds had Electric as it seems like the Cougars were manual?

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
You are absolutely right MikeH! Looks like 1983-1988 Cougar and Thunderbird.
Thank you so much, the seller had no idea what they fit. I am going to give them a try on the SUN2K and see how they look and fit. Wiring will be easy as three wires for two motors is pretty standard for mirrors. Also mounting them on the wing in front of the window will also make things easier. Worth a try
The ones that are on the car now are;

1) not tinted
2) passenger side not convex
3) size of view is limited
4) glare during night driving

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Got the rear Koni™ shocks on the rear mounted, aslo installed the steel braided brake lines. While I was under there it became apparent that I can fit 2" wider tires under there with the correct offset. Time to do some research....20200820_105412.jpg 20200820_105340.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
When it comes to wheels and tires things can get a bit confusing and sometimes overwhelming. Backspace, Offset, mm, inches etc. etc. There is room for a wider tire in the rear, in order to get the right combination I am going to take the wheel off, attach a straight bar to it so I can take accurate measurements. The thing about backspace is that it also depends on how much "Lip" is on the wheel. As we all know not all wheels are created equal. Offset I feel is more accurate as it is driven by the centerline of the wheel.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Here is some good information to share with all of you. I hope you find it useful when shopping for wheels and tires.Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 6.02.29 PM.png

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I remade the trunk spare tire tool holder and trunk floor. Now it is quiet clean and organized. I used thin plywood and brass piano hinges to make the floor fold towards the front, 20200908_081636.jpg 20200908_081656.jpg Felt liner is next.