• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam 2000 build

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Jim,
You are right and I agree with you, the label I put on this thread is not the name I will be using for this car. It will be revealed when the car is titled as a special construction vehicle in California.
Guy

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I have been busy cutting out the holes for the tail lights and working on the rain gutter for the new trunk lid that will need to be made.
Unfortunetly found a leaking roof cylinder, better now then later I guess. Checked online and the range was from $55 - $469 to either get mine rebuilt compared to buying a new one. It turns out the the brains at Mercedes-Benz used horrible quality seals for the rams. I found some seals to rebuild all the units for $13 delivered on (cough cough) ebay. I will try to rebuild them myself as needed. Still need to buy a large battery cable to bring power to the newly located fuse box in the trunk (left rear well) so I can power the top and finish up the wiring. Will try to get some pics this week posted.
Cheers

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Past few days have been up and down. It turns out the fuel door interfered with the wheel house just enough. Quarter panels off again to address that issue, then I was able to focus on the quarter window alignment in relation to the rear window seal and rain gutter for the trunk as they all work together. Ready to attach the quarter panels permanently. Got the back up light assemblies and mounted them below the bumper, waiting on the rest of my led lights to assemble the tail light housings. I am thinking of putting the two red lights above the amber light. Any thoughts you guys have on that would be appreciated.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Here are the tail light panels compared to the stock Alpine. Also included some pictures of both wells for the Hydraulic lifts, fuse panel, and pump. I was also able to get the new hot battery lead routed from the battery (Front Passenger side) to rear fuse panel (Rear Drivers side).Now the fun begins with the wiring. Back up lights work great! I also got some driving lights for the front, can't wait to start making the grill surround along with the grill.

Attachments

• 100_3927.jpg
    100_3927.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 100_3938.jpg
    100_3938.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 100_3940.jpg
    100_3940.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 100_3933.jpg
    100_3933.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 100_3932.jpg
    100_3932.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 83

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I found a new set of headlight assemblies on Ebay, received them on Saturday and got them installed. Going with Bosch H4 lights with blue bulb. Almost have the wiring figured out to convert from HID to Halogen. Also got an offer from another forum I am on from Rob who makes headlight wiring kits to make your lights burn brighter and safer to make me up a kit if I need it.
Top of the grill surround is almost done! 1/4" Stainless bar about 3/4" wide now has the arc in it for the area in front of the hood. Once the shape is completed it will get the attachments welded on and polished before assembly.
Door glass people are taking measurements from my template for accuracy, should have them before Thanksgiving.

Attachments

• Headlights.jpg
    Headlights.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 74

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
A bit more progress today, started on the final for the trunk lid. It will need to be longer then the donor car as this trunk is longer. I cut the frame from the skin and roughed in the front part of the lid. After that I removed the third brake light so I could weld and modify it to fit the Sunbeam skin.
Pics attached

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 85

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Five picture limit, here is the last pic of the trunk rear portion.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 104

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Dan,
I think it will work out quite well as the bumper attachment is already sorted out in my head. Will put up more pics as things progress.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Been working on getting the trunk sorted out to frame and put on a new skin. My new seals finally arrived for the hydraulics on the top. Took thirteen days to get here and the Ebay seller is blaming the Post Office LOL.
Most of the body wiring is now done, will focus on the top wiring soon. Pretty soon it will be time to finish the body work to get it ready for paint. WooooHoooooo!

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Did some light work yesterday (pun intended) on the rear mounting plates. I cut them from one piece of stainless with a cut off wheel. Stainless is tough on tools! Started to make them look better by sanding down to get rid of the blemishes by attaching them to a solid flat jig. Last pic is after about three hours of hand sanding. Enjoy

Attachments

• Cut.jpg
    Cut.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 849.jpg
    849.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 850.jpg
    850.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 906.jpg
    906.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 1740.jpg
    1740.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 51

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I got the bezels finish sanded and polished, here are a couple of pics without and with the lights.

Attachments

• 100_3954.jpg
    100_3954.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_3955.jpg
    100_3955.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 50

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
LOL
Yes it does take time, but well worth it in the end. It is better than chrome as it will not rust and shines just as nice.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Been spending this week organizing my work space and building the new trunk lid from scratch. It is nearly done and the taillights are coming along very nicely, should be able to put them all together and attach to the car. Front turn signals will be much easier. New bumpers ordered and should be here before Christmas.