• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Stock vs Modified

bluoval

Donation Time
its big world

to those who dont understand hot roding. racing, hot roding, customs and stockers for a car guy.is about apreciation of improvements.. my having been a 60's guy with my first job at age 13 at the local drag strip and i was into drag racing thru my teens and early 20.s. and enjoyed racing, my first car a 62 alpine doubled as a race car and transportation. in reality it was a dog performance wise. but managet to go a season and a half undefeated with it. also raced everything from altereds thru double a dragsters.. i also helped don gartlas put in a rear end in the swamp rat lll helped ronnie sox replace i drive shaft in the sox martin comet as a young man, not many young men had the oportunity to meet much less ,give a hand to these legends and then when jack roushe trailered his thunderbolt into my driveway looking for a race. who would have known then that he would be the icon that he is today..and the contributions he has made to auto racing. it was also racing against the likes of george montgomerys willis coupe, tv tommy ivos 4 engined dragster or the afrons green monster jet powered dragster, and wining ,whow!! (memories i'll never forget)and if you look at the customs you will find something that will catch your eye thats hand made just a little different.or diferent makes of car hot roding has always been about improvement ie car and self. i took it as a lesson in life at a young age and still try to live by it today ,i often wonder what todays autos would be like without hotroders, racers and custom guys?? hope you now have an idea as to what makes a hot roder tick.. earl blu oval

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I would like to ask a question. Are there any Dark siders out there that, having owned a V6 or other non Alpine four cylinder, are unhappy with their converted car? How many would rather have their stock Alpine back? Jose

Sure is quiet out there... Anyone?

Didn't think so....:D

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Well Nick,

It appears that everyone that has a modified Alpine, loves it. No one has posted anything negative about their choice. I have yet to find anyone that has done the conversion, then want to return it back to the stock four cylinder configuration. That speaks volumes.

Jose

alpine_64

Donation Time
Well Nick,

It appears that everyone that has a modified Alpine, loves it. No one has posted anything negative about their choice. I have yet to find anyone that has done the conversion, then want to return it back to the stock four cylinder configuration. That speaks volumes.

Jose

Ok.. Jose.. we are friends.. so take this as the smart arse response this is...

I have seen converted cars that people are selling, som eof them not long after completion.. If you spent that much time converting it and were unhappy.. you are not going to convert it back.. you are going to sell it on..

BTW my factory converted alpine (aka tiger) handles like crap comparatively to the S2... problem is i cant convert it to a 1725 SV spec because the idiots cut the firewalla nd put in a tunnel thats to shallow for the stock OD box!

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Michael,

I love you too. The difference between the Tiger and a V6 Alpine is huge. The V6 Alpine handles as good as the stocker, so you don´t lose anything in the translation. The V6 Alpine is more reliable, powerful, smoother and a whole lot more entertaining than a stocker to boot. I don´t mind someone else owning a stocker, but once you have driven a V6 Alpine, you will want one. You may still keep a stock one, but you will find that you just ,¨Got to have one¨!

Several guys have sold their converted Alpines, but not because they didn´t like them. They run into financial problems and had to let them go. I was like that myself. I wish I had never sold mine. WAAAAAAAAHHH!!! :D But I needed to improve my financial situation in order to be able help my wife´s family survive. I prefer that they eat, than for me to have a toy that I could do without. Life has it´s realities and we need to take care of first things first.

It sure wasn´t because I got tired of them, believe me.

Jose

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi Michael,

I love you too. The difference between the Tiger and a V6 Alpine is huge. The V6 Alpine handles as good as the stocker, so you don´t lose anything in the translation. The V6 Alpine is more reliable, powerful, smoother and a whole lot more entertaining than a stocker to boot. I don´t mind someone else owning a stocker, but once you have driven a V6 Alpine, you will want one. You may still keep a stock one, but you will find that you just ,¨Got to have one¨!

Several guys have sold their converted Alpines, but not because they didn´t like them. They run into financial problems and had to let them go. I was like that myself. I wish I had never sold mine. WAAAAAAAAHHH!!! :D But I needed to improve my financial situation in order to be able help my wife´s family survive. I prefer that they eat, than for me to have a toy that I could do without. Life has it´s realities and we need to take care of first things first.

It sure wasn´t because I got tired of them, believe me.

Jose

So what your saying is.. if i convert the tiger to a V6 i should be fine.. and the tiger tunnel should take a t5 without mods.. hmm.. i guess i can probably run even better headers.. you offering headers for the tiger v6 conversion? can i use the atock tiger trans mount?

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Oh my I think I am so far out on the dark side no one will ever find me.

Can't we all just enjoy our cars for what they are and stop all this silly debating about stock or non stock.
Jose is so right on about the V6 people that it should almost be carved in stone.
I enjoyed my V6 for about 26 years.The only thing sad about the car was I never hit the 200,000 mile mark.Mind you I came very close.
Why a V8? I enjoy the rush from being pushed back into the seat when the pedal hits the medal around 30 MPH

lgurley

Donation Time
what the heck did I do?

After the first 100 miles on my 2.8 V6 conversion I just bought new heads for the extra block that I had and of course I ordered another kit from Jose. I have a habit of having back up parts so I already have the clutch and all the stuff for the oil pan. I have the oil pan too. It looks like I need another transmission and some odds and ends.
I do have one Alpine that is still stock but it is in line for a Toyota 5 speed conversion from Dellow. Yeah, I have the Dellow kit and of course two Toyota transmissions just in case.
I'm the guy that got upset when a mechanic replaced my stock fuel pump with an electric.
Oh well, time wounds all heals.
I do have two more Alpines so I am sure one of them will stay stock(almost).

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I would like to ask a question. Are there any Dark siders out there that, having owned a V6 or other non Alpine four cylinder, are unhappy with their converted car, Jose

So far the only one that's unhappy is my wife. Started with a $500 car then, ... Well you know the rest of the story. UPS shows up at the door and I get the phone call, "What did you buy now and what is this costing me?" :rolleyes:

Jim E

Donation Time
All I can say about the V6 conversion is if you are a purist do not drive one. Vader has lead more than one stock motor owner down the path to the Darkside.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
So what your saying is.. if i convert the tiger to a V6 i should be fine.. and the tiger tunnel should take a t5 without mods.. hmm.. i guess i can probably run even better headers.. you offering headers for the tiger v6 conversion? can i use the atock tiger trans mount?

Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha! Michael, you are a naughty boy, aren´t you?:D You know full well what I am saying. I never mentioned a Tiger, and to even suggest that someone would change the power plant in one is kind of silly. The V6 Alpine is the best of both worlds, IMHO, because it handles like an Alpine, yet has the grunt of a Tiger. Why can´t we modify an Alpine and not have someone get excited about it? What is wrong with more reliability, more power and easier maintenance? Does it threaten someones devoutly held idea of what an Alpine should be? Why???

I think that if we don´t move forward, (new ideas, new concepts) we will be relegated to being irrelevant. I was just thinking about my first V6 Alpine. I rescued it from the crusher more than 34 years ago, and it is still running and the present owner loves it as much as I did. He wouldn´t sell his Alpine for anything in the world. This Alpine is still in existance, and if I hadn´t saved it, it would no longer exist, and the world would have have been diminished because of it. I sure wouldn´t have restored it back to stock, and if that was my only choice, it would be a can of baked beans by now. Lets celebrate the saving of another Alpine and forget the trivial stuff.

Jose