• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering/Suspension Issue

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
Check your steering box for cracks on the corners where the screws attach the top. 2 screws are a little longer and if put in the wrong places can crack the box. If cracked you can see the crack open when locking the wheel putting pressure on the steering wheel. Probably not your problem but I have seen 2 boxes cracked recently.

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
It did not do it before the bearing failure.....it started after the bearing repair job. It changes with left, or right turn....A noise that changes while turning; and is different with left or right turn is often related to bearings, tire, or a wheel. A tire can be tested by: road test on a smooth road, observe noise while turning, raise inflation pressure a lot, re-do the road test. I would disassemble the wheel bearings and look at everything related. (Wheel touching something on turns? Wheel cover? Shiny spots, rusty spots?)....Also, about the bearing failure- those sometimes fail because they are set with insufficient clearance. Follow the manual procedure carefully: a little too much clearance causes no problem, not enough will destroy the small bearing, often on long trips.....

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I haven’t seen the car since your last post. It’s in the shop that I store and work on it in about thirty minutes from me. I work, so I haven’t had an opportunity to take a look.
I do know everything was lubed but I will have to confirm the upper ball joint installation. My guess would be that they are correct because I’m only having an issue on one side of the car but I can’t know for sure until I see it.

Tod,

I sent a PM to you.

67brg

Silver Level Sponsor
have you checked the cage nuts in the lower cross member where the bolts that hold the control arm on. i have seen them stripped

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Sorry for the delayed response Shannon and 67brg.

This post was from last year and the issue has been resolved.

The issue turned out to be an installation error on a part by an over zealous, helping hand of a friend.t
In the beginning nobody was considering what had been done as a possibility, so nobody was looking for it...and it was not at the alignment shop that made the mistake.
It is embarrasing to post, even though I wasn't the culprit, but the driver's side tie-rod end was installed upside down. Don't ask me how.
Previously, I hadn't had any experience with front end/suspension work so I didn't really know where to start in troubleshooting on what was a very strange situation.
I found it when I dove in and started investigating it and was just comparing one side to the other physically/visually.

The car is smooth as silk now and rolling right along.

Thanks for the input.

Tod