• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Spray Booth Photos

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
Nice work Bill, it looks brilliant!

I like the filter box for the incoming air, I wish I’d used something like that to keep the dust down. I also like your colour coded floor.. orange looks so much better on concrete than blue ;)

How long do you plan on leaving it before you colour sand? I had a lot of success using one of ‘afssanders’ long sanding blocks to wet sand the clearcoat (had to eventually swap out the mild steel baseplate for a stainless one). I am VERY happy with the results; my local paint shop put me on to some great products for the final cut and buff, let me know if you want details.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Glad you like the air box. I decided that there was no point in construction a paint booth if the air was unfiltered. It did not cost much. As usual, I made it out of stuff on hand. I had to buy the filters (two bucks for 8-10 of them at a garage sale), the large pulley and and vee belt.

The car has been sanded and given the initial cut. Am waiting to cool down (I'm what's cooling down, its miserably hot and humid out there), then will give it the final polish. I am using Turtle Wax rubbing compound and polish.

Bill

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I apologize for being late to this party but just now read the blog. First, great paint work and beautiful but second and why I am writting,

that is a death trap. That paint and stuff is highly flammable. If there was a flare up, that plastic would shrink wrap you in burning plastic so fast you would not believe it. No way to escape.

I am sorry to be such a drag..

65beam

Donation Time
spray booth

bill,
those west coast guys will never understand us midwest baby boomers and our way of doing things.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I apologize for being late to this party but just now read the blog. First, great paint work and beautiful but second and why I am writting,

that is a death trap. That paint and stuff is highly flammable. If there was a flare up, that plastic would shrink wrap you in burning plastic so fast you would not believe it. No way to escape.

I am sorry to be such a drag..

Speaking of death trap, lets remember the Series V with its crossover tube.

So you are against the concept of temporary plastic paint booths? Remember the huge volume of incoming air. Regardless, what makes you think there might be a flare up? There is no power inside the plastic envelope and two 100 watt incandescent bulbs outside. All other power consumption is removed from the garage.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
bill,
those west coast guys will never understand us midwest baby boomers and our way of doing things.

Well, I'm not a boomer, but I fail to see the danger. Hell, walking across the street entails a certain amount of danger. Just try to minimize the dangers and be realistic.

Bill

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm sorry Bill, not trying to be a jerk. 35 years in the insurance business repairing, burying and rebuilding makes you skittish I guess. I still don't think it is safe...But then I do drive a Series V with the cross over tube, no roll bar and lap belts so, agree, who am I to criticize!!!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tracy, no problem.

We all see things differently. I just don't see the potential for a fire. The flammable liquids were outside. I doubt the fume load ever got high enough to be flammable. Then there is the issue of an ignition source. I understand a fire inside a plastic enclosure would be bad news, yet people sleep in plastic tents! At least I was awake.

Bill

RootesRooter

Donation Time
For possible ignition sources, there's static electricity, and your furnace if it's located in the garage. It's also not that hard to break an overhead light bulb in the heat of painting.

Having said all that, I went ahead and painted my Series V in the garage over the weekend and managed not to blow myself up. Woo-HOO!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
For possible ignition sources, there's static electricity, and your furnace if it's located in the garage. It's also not that hard to break an overhead light bulb in the heat of painting.

Having said all that, I went ahead and painted my Series V in the garage over the weekend and managed not to blow myself up. Woo-HOO!

Yes, there is static electricity, but the furnace in the basement and I'm almost 5'6" in a garage with 10 foot ceilings. I have no idea how I could have broken a light bulb.

Congratulations! Did you use plastic or turn the interior of the garage your favorite Alpine color? Also, what kind of paint did you use? Any photos?

Bill

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Yes it is possible to have all the bad things happen
However you almost need to be an idiot to get all these things in line to happen
I have done it many times with the plastic sheeting.Before I get started I get my big fan and point it to the open door and blow every corner with air a couple of times.I wash the floor as well. I do have filtered air coming in and I have a filtered exhaust system that picks up the air almost at ground level.
This is a built in system that works great when one is sanding or grinding
The only problem is to remember to start spraying on the side farthest from the fan so all the paint mist in the air does not get drawn over the film.One does learn from one's mistakes.

Like Bill says all light sources are to be on the outside of the palstic sheeting

I still believe the car and the palstic should be grounded to the floor.This virtually will eliminate any static electricity.The only things that should come into the spray area should be you and the spray gun

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Wish I had a 10-foot ceiling but it's just a typical 1960s suburban-splendor 2-car with a 9-ft ceiling and the lights mounted a foot or more lower. Everything went fine this time, but much stranger accidents happen than swatting a light bulb with a broom or an extention cord - both of which I've done in the past.

My garage is temporarily a plastic palace, so it's not Porsche-yellow like the Alpine. I'll know for sure once I take all the sheeting down. It was my first try at painting (and bodywork), so I still have a lot of sanding in front of me to eliminate various runs, mild orange peel and a few tiny, sneaky bugs.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
[QUOTE It was my first try at painting (and bodywork), so I still have a lot of sanding in front of me to eliminate various runs, mild orange peel and a few tiny, sneaky bugs.[/QUOTE]

I would love to do the same with my car. Can we see some photos before, during and after?

Thanks,
Andrew

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Wish I had a 10-foot ceiling but it's just a typical 1960s suburban-splendor 2-car with a 9-ft ceiling and the lights mounted a foot or more lower. Everything went fine this time, but much stranger accidents happen than swatting a light bulb with a broom or an extention cord - both of which I've done in the past.

My garage is temporarily a plastic palace, so it's not Porsche-yellow like the Alpine. I'll know for sure once I take all the sheeting down. It was my first try at painting (and bodywork), so I still have a lot of sanding in front of me to eliminate various runs, mild orange peel and a few tiny, sneaky bugs.

What paint did you use? I tried to get lacquer when I had my car done but could not find anyone that would sell it.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Bill
If the darn stuff wasn't so costly for me to use I would.I still have my big conmmercial Grego airless. The material is filterd at the machine and as well at the gun.The gun for lacguer had a carbon nozzle in a carbon nozzle.The opening of the nozzle was less than the thickness of one's hair.I sprayed thousands of gallons of lacquer on wood work.My base job was 5 coats.Loved that gun.Only problem was the machine and hose took nearly 1/2 gallon of material
I'm bringing my son's 1953 Meteor home finally.I just may go to lacquer.Man just think I could spray a coat of primer every 15 minutes

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don't know if I had mentioned this, but a big push was on to finish the Alpine in order for it to be used in our youngest son's wedding. As a result, some of the preparation was not as good as I'd like, but it is fine for a driver.

Anyway, the wedding was yesterday. The Alpine was a hit. It was all dressed up with toilet paper and blue straws ( her maiden name is Straw, hence it was the "Blue-Straw" wedding) and created a lot of good feelings, as well as extending that portion of the event. Anyone that has a nice looking Alpine should consider allowing it to be used for such events. They shine in the limelight and enhance the moment, which makes all that work worth while.

Bill

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Don't know if I had mentioned this, but a big push was on to finish the Alpine in order for it to be used in our youngest son's wedding. As a result, some of the preparation was not as good as I'd like, but it is fine for a driver.

Anyway, the wedding was yesterday. The Alpine was a hit. It was all dressed up with toilet paper and blue straws ( her maiden name is Straw, hence it was the "Blue-Straw" wedding) and created a lot of good feelings, as well as extending that portion of the event. Anyone that has a nice looking Alpine should consider allowing it to be used for such events. They shine in the limelight and enhance the moment, which makes all that work worth while.

Bill

Thats terrific Bill.Thanks for letting us know.My cars have been to 2 of my son's weddings.They also have been to a couple of funerals for some Sunbeam people.My son drove one of mine and I drove the one that was the pride of the person who passed on.It was an honor to drive his car as he had wished that I would do so.We actually had 6 Sunbeams in the procession to the cemetery as he was a well respected person.
I hate funerals