• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Spray Booth Photos

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The air box. 1/3 hp motor.
IMG_1497.jpg

Air box, ready to run.
IMG_1498.jpg

Outlet side.
IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1506.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

Here I am with the freshly painted DuraPine. The paint is Kirker Bright Orange Metallic with clear coat.
IMG_1509.jpg

I painted it yesterday and I'm still tired.
Bill

kmathis

Donation Time
Nice pictures, how many coats of base and clear? Do you need to color sand and buff? I am restoring a hard top and am experimenting with painting that myself. Nice work.:cool:

Callasports

Donation Time
I'm impressed and I love to see when somebody is talented and brave enough to tackle a paint job at home. Great job! Looking forward to seeing the final paint results. Unique color - I like it.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Bill,

Look really good. Does it have a slight metailic or pearl?

I guess you are going to learn how to sew next.. so orange with black pipping.. or black with orange? :D

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Like so much stuff, talent is not as important as the determination to go ahead and do it. There is considerable pucker factor involved in pouring that first bit of color coat into the paint gun. It is a butt load of work. Finishing a car is sort of like finishing dry wall, there is always something you can do just a little bit better. This effort is not as good as the previous one, I am operating against a time constraint and some of the details are not very good.

This paint is very interesting stuff. It contains a lot of metallic of differing size. So much that Kirker says the metallic will snag and must be clear costed. The basic color seems to come from a coarse metallic particle, with a bit of pearl from a tiny particle. It is very interesting to watch the swirl of color as it is stirred.

A person wishing to do a paint job would be well served to look into the Kirker paints. They do not have a huge selection of colors, but do have some very pretty offerings. Smart Shopper sells a kit containing a two part primer, base coat, clear coat, catalysts, reducer, mixing cups, filters, and stir sticks. My kit cost $229, including shipping.

Michael, I have sewn up seats. But that was years ago and I decided not to do it again unless I had an industrial sewing machine. Don't know if I could handle piping, that's a considerable complication.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill: Do you have neighbors near by and if so, are they still talking to you? Did the filter on your fan keep any of the smell from permeating the neighborhood?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill: Do you have neighbors near by and if so, are they still talking to you? Did the filter on your fan keep any of the smell from permeating the neighborhood?

Jim, I have neighbors, but not very close. Haven't seen them lately, but the closest one knew I was going to paint the car and thought it was something good. She has watched as I've struggled with the car the last few years and is pretty impressed. Count it as a benefit of living in this type (semi rural, red neck) of community. I really doubt anyone smelled anything. The filters are for incoming air, not exhaust.

As a side note, Barb commented on the orange on her garage floor, I told her that this job evened up the orange that was on the floor from the previous job. She had no further comment.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
photos

bill,
i have a set of air shocks for alpines. still in the box. i was going to put them on the series 4 when i used to pull the popup camper,but it was one of those jobs i never got to.