• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series V Cologne conversion

DougCoad

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've converted to the 2.8 Cologne motor with a 390CFM Holley and offenhauser manifold. Does anyone know what air cleaner would fit without modifying the hood?

Slainte

Donation Time
That's a beautiul engine. I have the same setup, and the only solution I've found is the triangular Edelbrock unit. I understand it may not be the best cleaner, but it fits. Let me know if you need the stock number, as I think I still have the box somewhere.

DougCoad

Platinum Level Sponsor
index.php

That's a beautiul engine. I have the same setup, and the only solution I've found is the triangular Edelbrock unit. I understand it may not be the best cleaner, but it fits. Let me know if you need the stock number, as I think I still have the box somewhere.
Thanks yeah the stock number could help. I got those valve covers from ireland believe it or not.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Doug .. get some tin foil.. make them into little towers..then stick them to the outer edges of the carb...gently close your bonnet and then measure how tall they are.... The shortest one then becomes the guide for the filter height housing and it's distance from the centre of the carb the radius for its width.

you should be able to get a round or oval filter housing that will work...

DougCoad

Platinum Level Sponsor
Doug .. get some tin foil.. make them into little towers..then stick them to the outer edges of the carb...gently close your bonnet and then measure how tall they are.... The shortest one then becomes the guide for the filter height housing and it's distance from the centre of the carb the radius for its width.

you should be able to get a round or oval filter housing that will work...
Hey thanks for the tip. I think it's a pretty tight space.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Maybe one of these will work.
Holley Hi Tek Air Cleaner, 64280
Spectre Performance 98499
Spectre Performance 9824 120° Ultra Low Profile
Edelbrock 1002 Pro-Flo Air Cleaner

DougCoad

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nice set up. Do you kown off hand what model it is.
Looks like you have an electric push fan. Any problem with over heating?

tractordealer

Platinum Level Sponsor
Pretty sure I used the 751 kit, just turned the intake pipe the other way around. The fan is the standard Ford fan that came with the engine. No issues at all with overheating, but I am in Canada (Toronto) -- Sunbeam rad re-cored to a three row. No AC. Dan R installation components for the engine.

DougCoad

Platinum Level Sponsor
Pretty sure I used the 751 kit, just turned the intake pipe the other way around. The fan is the standard Ford fan that came with the engine. No issues at all with overheating, but I am in Canada (Toronto) -- Sunbeam rad re-cored to a three row. No AC. Dan R installation components for the engine.

Slainte

Donation Time
Here's a shot of the air cleaner box, and of the cleaner's application in my less-beautiful-than-your engine bay. It's very cozy, but it does fit.

It's been a few years since I installed this unit, so it just occurred to me; I cut the mounting collar down by about 1/4", I think. Yeah, it's that close. Sorry for the memory lapse.

IMG_8767.jpegIMG_8765.jpeg

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
FWIW ...I wouldn't run the edelbrock foam filters ( or any of the brands) that mount over the top of the carb throats.

They are known fire hazards. I had one on my tiger and had it catch after a backfire ...

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am planning on using this in my alger. It is quite low profile. I do have a scoop in my hood that will allow a little more clearance. 37313.jpeg