• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 3 GT on Facebook

alpine_64

Donation Time
The spare wheel setup in the S3 is stored vertically against the rear pressimg and sits in the well.

On the S3-IV its retained by a bolt that goes into the bracket shown in the photo..on a SV they have a strap to retain it.

The photos show a standard wheel well setup per the models that follow...where are you seeing a difference ?
index.php

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Michael, you posted this comment. The photos show a standard wheel well setup per the models that follow...where are you seeing a difference ?
This was followed by a photo of a very nonstock trunk arrangement. Could you explain your post? I find it very confusing.
Bill

65beam

Donation Time
Bill,
Series 1&2 did not have the fuel tanks in the rear fenders as they are on series 3,4 & 5. The fuel tank of early series set in an opening in what could be called the trunk floor and the spare wheel laid on top of the fuel tank / floor and there was a lid which folded over the spare. This gave limited trunk storage area and the fuel tank held less fuel than the later twin tanks. The fuel tanks were moved to the fenders starting with series 3 and that opened up the vertical storage of the spare and much more trunk space.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Michael, you posted this comment. The photos show a standard wheel well setup per the models that follow...where are you seeing a difference ?
This was followed by a photo of a very nonstock trunk arrangement. Could you explain your post? I find it very confusing.
Bill

Bill,

The poster asked about the spare wheel arrangement of the boot in a series 3GT for sale and posted a link.

The photo is of the boot from the adv of the series 3GT that is for sale.

The spare wheel arrangement looks stock.. The series 3 was the first model with the tanks in the rear guards and the spare mounted vertically at the rear axle area with the wheel well.

As for your comment " very non stock trunk arrangement" .. Im not sure what you are seeing that is not stock.. Unfinished.. Yes ( missing its tank coverimg trims, the rear seat backrest that seals a GT off from the passenger compartment, though thats technically interior, and the lid supoorts are not connected).. .. .. But it looks stock.

that the poster is asking about

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am looking at the spare tire storage. It looks like it was meant to accept a tire inserted from inside the cabin. Is that stock? However, the photo of that interior area does not show anyway to accommodate that arrangement. Am I being faked out by photo distortion?

Bill

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Mainly what didn't look normal to me is what I highlight in red in the photo. Is that maybe some kind of cover? Also, it is difficult to see the well in the floor as I highlight in green. Is this just a matter of the lighting angle in the photo... or my vision ? I also show my series 3 ST boot with spare removed. What I was not sure of was whether the GT did something different than the ST in this area knowing there is no soft top storage in front of this area.

Rick

s3gtboot.jpg

P1160118r.jpg

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
It looks like a stock setup, but it looks like sheet metal repair was done (notice the various weld(?) marks) and probably a rattle can coating applied that is a different color.

The switch from spare tire retaining bolt to strap occurred during the series V production. (at VIN B395009818?)

Mike

Last edited:

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Mike,

Yea. maybe it is those spot welds and the angle of the stream of light making that look funny (convex as opposed to concave), to me.... like one of those Escher art works.

Ha

Thanks

Rick

Paul354

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike

The retaining bolt was switched earlier in production from your ? in the serial # I assume we don't know when this changed
my car 395004982 also has the retaining bolt

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
My car is VIN 6147 and has the bolt. I don't see the strap listed in the Parts Manual. The Parts Manual shows a bolt part number switch occurred at VIN 9818. So the strap should have been introduced later than that VIN. But who knows.

upload_2020-7-27_20-6-24.png

upload_2020-7-27_20-7-13.png

Mike

65beam

Donation Time
Series 4 trunk. This is a steel wheel car. The series 3 was the same107_0353.JPG

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
This car is a series 5 , #13118 and it has the strap to hold the tire. The MK 1 & 1A Tigers used a bolt to hold the spare. The Tiger used a shorter spare tire bolt since the bracket for the spare tire bolt was welded to the trunk floor with the spare laying on the floor ,not standing up as it was in the Alpine shown above. SS lists the strap as fitting late series 5 Alpines and Tiger MK 2.100_0553.JPG

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wow slow news day, I was going to go out and be mostly peaceful today, but I thought I would come here and stay mostly on topic :) clearly it seems cost-cutting was the way to go in the later cars. What's interesting to me is the light shine that looks like a clear coat over somewhat bare metal.
Never enough pictures to convince a distance buyer.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Wow slow news day, I was going to go out and be mostly peaceful today, but I thought I would come here and stay mostly on topic :) clearly it seems cost-cutting was the way to go in the later cars. What's interesting to me is the light shine that looks like a clear coat over somewhat bare metal.
Never enough pictures to convince a distance buyer.
Warren I bought my current Alpine from a friend who had it for years I paid a premium but I have the history of the car. It was largely original and had no rust. Garage kept most of its life. I have been replacing the interior rebuilding brakes, and replacing rubber parts.

65beam

Donation Time
My car is VIN 6147 and has the bolt. I don't see the strap listed in the Parts Manual. The Parts Manual shows a bolt part number switch occurred at VIN 9818. So the strap should have been introduced later than that VIN. But who knows.

View attachment 20533

View attachment 20534

Mike
Mike ,
FYI, none of my series Alpine parts books ( my latest is from February 1968) list the rubber strap nor do they list a replacement body part for the bracket to use the mounting bolt. My Tiger parts book doesn't cover the MK 2 Tiger that also used the strap. The strap is available from SS and probably others at a cost of less than $30.00 which doesn't include the foot loops or the buckles. My latest Rootes price book dated August 1, 1969 shows the Alpine bolt with a dealer price of 95 cents and a list price of $1.50. The parts books do not show the body bracket to secure the tire. Having never owned a later series with wire wheels can anyone tell me the difference in length of the steel wheel bolt versus the wire wheel bolt?

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike ,
FYI, none of my series Alpine parts books ( my latest is from February 1968) list the rubber strap nor do they list a replacement body part for the bracket to use the mounting bolt. My Tiger parts book doesn't cover the MK 2 Tiger that also used the strap. The strap is available from SS and probably others at a cost of less than $30.00 which doesn't include the foot loops or the buckles. My latest Rootes price book dated August 1, 1969 shows the Alpine bolt with a dealer price of 95 cents and a list price of $1.50. The parts books do not show the body bracket to secure the tire. Having never owned a later series with wire wheels can anyone tell me the difference in length of the steel wheel bolt versus the wire wheel bolt?
I have seen on a website from England the footman loop for the spare tire strap I want to say Alpine Innovations but I am not sure.