• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 3 GT on Facebook

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Sunbeam Specialties sells the footman loop . The real early ones were made out of cast iron The reproductions are made out of pot metal. They are used in other locations people use them for boats for holding battery straps down in those plastic boxes etc etc. Nowadays they're all made out of plastic. So finding the pot metal ones is about the best you can do.

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Mike ,
FYI, none of my series Alpine parts books ( my latest is from February 1968) list the rubber strap nor do they list a replacement body part for the bracket to use the mounting bolt. My Tiger parts book doesn't cover the MK 2 Tiger that also used the strap. The strap is available from SS and probably others at a cost of less than $30.00 which doesn't include the foot loops or the buckles. My latest Rootes price book dated August 1, 1969 shows the Alpine bolt with a dealer price of 95 cents and a list price of $1.50. The parts books do not show the body bracket to secure the tire. Having never owned a later series with wire wheels can anyone tell me the difference in length of the steel wheel bolt versus the wire wheel bolt?

I have a series 3 with steel wheels and a series 5 with wire wheels. Here are the bolt length differences for steel (left) and wire (right). So about 4 inches versus about 5 1/2 inches. The short one "just" barely grabs the bracket when used with the wire wheel spare. So in my mind, the long one is a bit longer than it needs to be, which means lots more turns to secure it down.

Rick
P1160139r.jpg P1160140r.jpg

65beam

Donation Time
I have a series 3 with steel wheels and a series 5 with wire wheels. Here are the bolt length differences for steel (left) and wire (right). So about 4 inches versus about 5 1/2 inches. The short one "just" barely grabs the bracket when used with the wire wheel spare. So in my mind, the long one is a bit longer than it needs to be, which means lots more turns to secure it down.

Rick
View attachment 20543 View attachment 20544
Thanks for the photo. I think I have a couple of the longer one. The only wire wheel cars I've had is the series 1 and the red Harrington. All the other cars are steel wheel.