• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rubber floor mats SV

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
This maybe a long shot......Does anyone have original rubber mats in good shape for a SV alpine.

A8EDECFE-05CF-4912-B477-20D55F707539.jpeg
Or front mats for a Super Minx 67 sedan (this is really a long shot). Have carpet in it now which is not original.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Al, Why rubber mats? They are not valuable as noise suppression.

Can't possibly be as nice looking as well taylormade carpet.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan I think Al wants the rubber mats to keep all the snow and road salt off of his carpets. He is having a brutal winter up there in Wisconsin!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ah ! That makes sense now that you enlightened me:)

I was thinking about a rubber covering like in my SIV....

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan-Want to keep the original look, the ones I took out are dried out. Carpet is an easy fix if I don’t find any.
Being a sports car aren’t they suppose to be noisy? Part of the experience (Tiger Tom commented at a United once).
Eric-Getting our Shots up here, in the mean time getting a-lot of garage time and its always 58 deg. (5 deg and snowing today) Florida by March!

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
If your rubber mats are original, and you want to sell them, I'd like to have them.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes!

Rubber mats were one of the features I loved "back in the day." Easy, quick to clean, simple, and time saving. No endless vacuuming grains of sand out of carpet. You could almost feel the engine running thru the floorboard. Really added to the overall experience of driving a Sunbeam.

I'm sure there's a company out there that can make a reproduction.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Since it’s Alpine only and there’s enough demand for a set, someone may invest some capital. If they reach the value of Mk2 Tigers someone would! (not in this lifetime)

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Personally I'd like Coco mats but the rubber is a great idea.
*$#@ ing Black Tiger floor mats. I have one set of those original Tiger floor mats in one car too small but nice.
PS what other rubber parts are unobtainable. I have a good contact with some guys that make some small motorcycle parts.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Having a good contact might be all that's needed.

Just went thru the Rootes catalog. Lots of rubber parts at fairly inexpensive prices, windshield rubber being the most expensive, but less that $100.

I don't know anything about rubber product production, but mats might not be that hard to make. Large but flat might be very profitable for someone in the rubber business.

I'll take two sets!

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
The key would be getting the pattern right. I am sure they might be popular in GB. Does that mean making RH drive floor mats? This could get complicated!

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Only image of Alpine rubber mats I've found anywhere. It was easy to spot by the "clean" look after viewing hundreds of photos from swiss cows.

If this is a photo of "original," it looks like carpet might have been on the edges and over the transmission tunnel? Looks like rubber on the side of the seat also.

Having an original set of mats might be half the battle of getting reproductions made. (Guess there'd be no battle without originals.)

That's a nice Minx wagon above.

upload_2021-2-15_17-14-7.png

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks, the trans tunnel and sill sides are carpeted. Rubber mat runs under the seats and up to the rear shelf with snaps to hold them in.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
They might be a good start or Restoration Specialties in Pa makes a lot of specialty items. Here's the original ones in all their glory, you can see the pattern.

Attachments

• IMG_2422.JPG
    IMG_2422.JPG
    326.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2423.JPG
    IMG_2423.JPG
    323.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2424.JPG
    IMG_2424.JPG
    332 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2427.JPG
    IMG_2427.JPG
    394.1 KB · Views: 51

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Really nice photos! And what a treasure having those original mats! Front AND back!

Restoration Specialties in PA doesn't have a searchable catalog (that I could get to work anyways). Looks like a good place to buy fasteners, clips and such.

This company came up on the same search for the above:

http://www.runningboardrubbermats.com/home.html

Looks like they could certainly get the job done. A few things from their website: "The Impossible Just Takes A Little Longer." "The result is a finished surface that looks like rubber, feels like rubber and wears like caste iron." The only price (from their website) that I see is $250-$1,500. Also they mention "mold and extrusion" as opposed to what they produce.

Appears "mold and extrusion" might be less costly method. (I know nothing about rubber reproduction except what I'm researching now).

Having the back AND front reproduction mats would certainly be nice. Could even put them over carpet, with a perfect fit, if prefered.