• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rubber floor mats SV

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
This company came up on the same search for the above:

http://www.runningboardrubbermats.com/home.html

Looks like they could certainly get the job done. A few things from their website: "The Impossible Just Takes A Little Longer." "The result is a finished surface that looks like rubber, feels like rubber and wears like caste iron." The only price (from their website) that I see is $250-$1,500. Also they mention "mold and extrusion" as opposed to what they produce.

Appears "mold and extrusion" might be less costly method. (I know nothing about rubber reproduction except what I'm researching now).
John- Thanks that looks promising, see that they did a 58 Hillman, 60 Jag & 48 Triumph mats. Will contact them and see if they are willing to do some. Hopefully they won’t exceed the value of the car.
Al

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Wait, Paul’s are LHD, aren’t they? The gas pedal slot appears to be on the left panel.

Paul354

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes these are left hand drive mats
I took photos for the judging guide James is working on

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
I called Steele Rubber in Denver NC a few minutes ago. They don't "do" any rubber mats because of the size, and the person at the other end of the line didn't know anyone to refer to.

I've also sent an email to Old Auto Rubber. They haven't replied. I think the time zone is much different in Australia.

I've watched several videos on mold making. The small parts would seem easier to make, accounting for their abundance at rather inexpensive prices.

The Running Board company might be all there is. Might be a bit expensive to make a mold that large, if that's the way they do it. Hopefully the process could be repeated over and over. Maybe tweaked for RHD. Not sure if the same rubber mats were original to Tigers?

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Below shows the original material (outer layer of vinyl upholstery) used by the Rootes factory when they prepared the "lightened" 1962 12 hour Sebring Alpines. The makeover was all about making the car lighter, race ready and yet maintain an original "production" look. The floor mats are at the top of the photo including the transmission tunnel covering.

Amazing that this was still intact when I got my #41 Sebring Alpine.

upload_2021-2-17_11-47-21.png

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
The above IS quite amazing at 60 years old.

Old Auto Rubber just sent a reply. "Unfortunately we don’t deal in any floor matting."

Every parts/department store on the planet has a huge selection of rubber mats in all sorts of styles and shapes. Someone is making those. And someone out there is waiting for a Sunbeam rubber mat reproduction order.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Personally I'd like Coco mats but the rubber is a great idea.
*$#@ ing Black Tiger floor mats. I have one set of those original Tiger floor mats in one car too small but nice.
PS what other rubber parts are unobtainable. I have a good contact with some guys that make some small motorcycle parts.

It appears (to me) that it would take a large mold to make reproduction mats, which might require a bit of effort upfront, but once built, could be used over and over.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Since they are (4) individual mats, the chance of finding good ones are slim. A You Tube DIY may be in order if someone has done this. One of those garage based industries come to mind. Thanks for the link!

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Since they are (4) individual mats, the chance of finding good ones are slim. A You Tube DIY may be in order if someone has done this. One of those garage based industries come to mind. Thanks for the link!
There are a lot of cottage industries in the UK and a lot of older cars. Perhaps one could do a run!

Paul354

Diamond Level Sponsor
The mats I have are in pretty good shape.
I could trace out a pattern if someone was interested in taking on this project
I have more pictures if looking for the pattern on the mat
The question is if there is enough interest and what the cost would be for a small run
The company American floor mats listed in the above post from Jerry maybe sufficient for what most people are looking for. Probably at a reasonable price
This is closer to what the mat actually looks like
https://www.americanfloormats.com/corrugated-rubber-runner-mats/
Are the mats the same across the various Series cars

loose_electron

Donation Time

There are some differences, and when you add changes for Resto-Mod cars and tunnel widening for different motors, it gets to be a bit messy.

With some carboard, and duct tape, you can create templates that fit your car.

Even if you have a perfect, era correct, set of mats, I would want to save those for the Concourse judges at the show.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
The mats I have are in pretty good shape.
I could trace out a pattern if someone was interested in taking on this project
I have more pictures if looking for the pattern on the mat
The question is if there is enough interest and what the cost would be for a small run
The company American floor mats listed in the above post from Jerry maybe sufficient for what most people are looking for. Probably at a reasonable price

Not sure what the best measure of interest would be, but please count me "in," for the up front costs also.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
The (4) pc is the SV rubber set.

The (1)pc is a SI passenger side.

When did they change over to 4 pc?

Attachments

• 3C48A853-D079-43F3-8D59-6B251B7E0DA9.jpeg
    3C48A853-D079-43F3-8D59-6B251B7E0DA9.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 26
  • B5B7C007-F3D7-4FE4-92FA-B5AFE474DD17.jpeg
    B5B7C007-F3D7-4FE4-92FA-B5AFE474DD17.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 29