• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Removing engine

65beam

Donation Time
An FYI if you use chains attached to the engine for lifting. A wide inverted V angle on the chains (i.e. greater than 120 degrees) will work as a force multiplier and you will actually place more force on a single lift point than the actual weight of what is being lifted. Keep the angle as small as possible.

For more details, see the "Inner angle" section at the bottom of this page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_(climbing)

Mike
You're right about that. Years of pulling Sunbeam engines using the chain has taught me to have enough room for the hook of the chain hoist and not a whole lot more. Notice my way to keep the hook from moving. Really simple! Otherwise the hook can move on the chain.The Beam garage is set up and used only for working on or building a Beam and storage of one car if we're not working on one so we have a set up with a 12 X 6 inch beam running the full width of the garage with an attachment point for the hoist and the chain shown in the photo hangs with the hoist and never is used for anything else. Jean and I found that we have good control of the engine as it comes out. We push the car backwards as the engine/trans unit comes up. She'll tell you we've had lots of practice pulling these engines over the last 41 years due to me driving the green car like I just stole it. I still drive it like that.