• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rearview Mirror Series 5

Rockonp04

Donation Time
I've got a stock rearview mirror off of a series 5. The plastic piece is all chipped and needs to be replaced. I am also missing the glass. From what I hear the plastic piece is impossible to find and I am most likely going to have to go to an upholsterer shop to get a plastic piece. What I need is the glass piece. Does anyone have a lead on where to get the glass?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've gotten a few of them on Ebay. There is a guy selling them and they are really nice.
Not cheap but they work. I had a local glass guy make me one but getting the correct thickness
for the glass is key.

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've got a stock rearview mirror off of a series 5. The plastic piece is all chipped and needs to be replaced. I am also missing the glass. From what I hear the plastic piece is impossible to find and I am most likely going to have to go to an upholsterer shop to get a plastic piece. What I need is the glass piece. Does anyone have a lead on where to get the glass?

Sunbeam Specialties sells the complete mirror that is a close reproduction of the Series V mirror for $97. Online catalog p25 item IP87.

Rick

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor

Here's the link to the guy who sells the mirror glas on ebay.

Rick

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNBEAM-TI...670730?hash=item1f0d82ee8a:g:yTMAAOSw~vpZ-cP3

Wayne67vert

Donation Time
I replaced my mirror today. I used a $4 hand mirror and a glass cutter. I buffed the edges on my belt sander. The vinyl trim was stiff but a little heat from a heat gun helped make it pliable. I'm going to powder coat the frame and re assemble tomorrow.

Rockonp04

Donation Time
I replaced my mirror today. I used a $4 hand mirror and a glass cutter. I buffed the edges on my belt sander. The vinyl trim was stiff but a little heat from a heat gun helped make it pliable. I'm going to powder coat the frame and re assemble tomorrow.
Got any pictures of the process?

Wayne67vert

Donation Time
No photos. I marked the outline on the replacement mirror with a fine point sharpie. Coated it with oil, then traced with a glass cutter. Carefully broke the unneeded away. Then used my belt sander to finish the sizing and polishing the edge of the mirror. Used double sided tape to stick the mirror to the vinyl insert.
I used a heat gun to warm the vinyl again and reattach it to the mirror frame. Took maybe 30 minutes to cut and polish the glass. The powder coating to another 30 minutes.
I have a Harbor Freight Powder coating system and an old oven I bought for $20. It plugs into my RV outlet in my carport.

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
No photos. I marked the outline on the replacement mirror with a fine point sharpie. Coated it with oil, then traced with a glass cutter. Carefully broke the unneeded away. Then used my belt sander to finish the sizing and polishing the edge of the mirror. Used double sided tape to stick the mirror to the vinyl insert.
I used a heat gun to warm the vinyl again and reattach it to the mirror frame. Took maybe 30 minutes to cut and polish the glass. The powder coating to another 30 minutes.
I have a Harbor Freight Powder coating system and an old oven I bought for $20. It plugs into my RV outlet in my carport.

Sunbeamers' ingenuity never ceases to amaze me! Thanks for sharing.

Rick