• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Radio Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

lord_rootes

Donation Time
I know these are probably as rare as rocking horse poop but does anyone have an Alpine radio console they would like to sell? I'm new to Alpines but I do recall seeing them once in awhile on Ebay. I have a radio so would just need the console with speaker grill.
Thanks,
Alan

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Alan,

I don't know which console was on Ebay, but I remember that a couple of our local club members made some reproduction consoles that looked pretty good. I could find out if any are still available if you like? I don't remember how much they were, but they weren't cheap. Let me know if you are interested.

Regards, Robin.

lord_rootes

Donation Time
Hi Robin,
It's funny you should mention that because I seem to remember reading about or seeing advertised some reprodution consoles. At the time I didn't have an Alpine so I didn't pay too much attention.
If you can find out any info on them I would definitely be interested.
Thanks,
Alan

lord_rootes

Donation Time
Thanks Kevin,
That's exactly what I'm looking for. Is Rob a member of this forum? I did a search under his name and found nothing.

Alan

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I don't believe Rob posts here anymore... I had heard he had some sort of falling-out, but I only have heard rumors, so take it for what it's worth. Rob and I have always exchanged very pleasant emails, but others have reported that they have had more complicated relationships.

Rob's stuff is quite expensive, but I think it is the best you can get, and of course you get what you pay for. Having said all that, I don't think Rob is making those radio consoles anymore, but I suppose you could politely ask.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have one of the repro consoles, and one original console. I put the repro in my "daily driver" series IV and saved the original one for my S3GT that is (or will be) undergoing a complete rotisserie restoration starting this spring.

I just wanted to comment on the repro console. It is different than the original piece in that it is made of fiberglass. It has a steel frame (which is very nice!) and the speaker surround is steel, not press board. Other than that, when it is installed, it looks just like a stock console, at least at first glance. Most people don't know Sunbeams really well and can't spot it as a repro.
As far as cost goes, I think I paid somewhere around $4-450 for it and I don't remember whether that was with freight or not but it was quite a bit less than an original one would have cost me.

As far as my original one goes, it didn't cost me quite as much as you might think. Long story, but one of those right place right time kind of things. I was looking for Alpine parts in a junk yard and the owner followed me out to the area where he kept British cars. There was a Series IV on a hillside. As I approached the car from the rear, I saw the radio and console. I asked the guy "how much for the radio"? His reply........"just take it" !

Sometimes luck finds you when you least expect it!
Cheers!
Steve

lord_rootes

Donation Time
Thanks for the info guys.
I did see that one on Ebay and am watching it. I will probably bid on it but not sure how high it will go. I will also drop Rob martel a line.
Thanks again,
Alan

Rootes 66

Donation Time
Alan
Does the Series II have the bulkhead/dash rails and the cross rail for mounting these later style Radios?
Just a thought
Pete

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
The early Series do not have the captive nuts on the dash-to-firewall braces that were on later production cars. The bracket that fixes to the radio attaches onto the dash supports via 2 bolts on each side, so, if you want to use this on a Series II you'll have to drill some holes. It'll work, though.

The eBay auction appears to be missing the 2 radio facia support brackets. These are kinda L-shaped brackets that secure the front to the lower dash roll so it doesn't wobble around. Easy to fabricate, though.

Can't tell for sure from the pic but it appears to have an original Motorola 525 AM radio. Nice original survivor that'll fetch a good buck. I predict $800+.

Mark

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

Thanks for the info guys.
I did see that one on Ebay and am watching it. I will probably bid on it but not sure how high it will go. I will also drop Rob martel a line.
Thanks again,
Alan

Do not tell Rob it is for a SII. Someone with a SII did something to him, and he will not make anything for a SII. I have tried several times to have him make floor panels for mine. Another hint: if he answers the phone or e-mail as "Tigger", he is the nicest person you have ever met. Everytime he used "Rob" I could not seem to communicate with him. I do agree everything he makes is the best.
Lee

lord_rootes

Donation Time
$800.00! Yikes! I think I'll just go with the Hillman console or radio surround I already have. It doesn't have a speaker grill but I can hide the speaker somewhere under the dash I'm sure.
Thanks,
Alan

The early Series do not have the captive nuts on the dash-to-firewall braces that were on later production cars. The bracket that fixes to the radio attaches onto the dash supports via 2 bolts on each side, so, if you want to use this on a Series II you'll have to drill some holes. It'll work, though.

The eBay auction appears to be missing the 2 radio facia support brackets. These are kinda L-shaped brackets that secure the front to the lower dash roll so it doesn't wobble around. Easy to fabricate, though.

Can't tell for sure from the pic but it appears to have an original Motorola 525 AM radio. Nice original survivor that'll fetch a good buck. I predict $800+.

Mark

lord_rootes

Donation Time
Thanks Lee,
Seems a little harsh to penalize all Series II owners for the misdeeds of one. I know several Series II owners (including myself) and we're all really nice people. :)

Alan

Do not tell Rob it is for a SII. Someone with a SII did something to him, and he will not make anything for a SII. I have tried several times to have him make floor panels for mine. Another hint: if he answers the phone or e-mail as "Tigger", he is the nicest person you have ever met. Everytime he used "Rob" I could not seem to communicate with him. I do agree everything he makes is the best.
Lee

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Robin,
It's funny you should mention that because I seem to remember reading about or seeing advertised some reprodution consoles. At the time I didn't have an Alpine so I didn't pay too much attention.
If you can find out any info on them I would definitely be interested.
Thanks,
Alan

Hi Allan,

I spoke with the guy who is making the replica radio and speaker consoles and as I suggested, they are not cheap. You would be looking at AU$550 + approximately AU$70 for shipping. What you are getting is a very high quality replica with all new materials ans car audio speaker. If only you could have heard how much effort is put into building one correctly, you would understand the asking price. If you do decide that you want one, let me know as he will probably not be making any more.

Regards, Robin.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Allan,

I spoke with the guy who is making the replica radio and speaker consoles and as I suggested, they are not cheap. You would be looking at AU$550 + approximately AU$70 for shipping. What you are getting is a very high quality replica with all new materials ans car audio speaker. If only you could have heard how much effort is put into building one correctly, you would understand the asking price. If you do decide that you want one, let me know as he will probably not be making any more.

Regards, Robin.

Actually, $369.38 + $47.01 (US Dollars) doesn't sound so bad, considering the effort and rarity!

Status
Not open for further replies.