• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Race Car #64--Finally Finished

wipeout

Donation Time
absolutely outstanding.

No words can do this car justice and I hope that any that are mentioned go a long distance in fueling the pride you must have in what you have done.

Bravo. Good luck to you in the competitions and if it runs half as fast as it looks, your competitors will be sucking nothing but your exhaust fumes.

Wonderful.

:)

hillmanhuskyguy

Silver Level Sponsor
Could you maybe post one or two before shots? I'm new so I don't know what you started off with. Nicely done, great 'tin work' and detail.

Congrats, now drive the snot out of it (once it's properly broken in of course~) !!

Cris

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Bill,

As I have said all along, you have an amazing car and I am very envious. It may have taken a long time, but look at the end result. Good luck with your future track days and keep us informed.

Regards, Robin.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
Curious about answers to questions already asked as well.

You have to be happy with the results. Sweet machine!

atallamcs

Donation Time
race car

Good questions:
I have not weighed the car yet but estimate it has lost a net weight of about 250 pounds. The hood and trunk lid have been lighted, soft top removed, door glass and mechanisms removed, gas tanks removed, bumpers, etc. The adds are the roll bar primarily. The wheels are racing rims and weigh about 8 or 9 pounds. I will get an official weight soon.

The single weber was on the car when I got it. It drove very well, strong and quite powerful. So I decided to improve on that situation. It had a hand made single manifold (which I have now reproduced and have three to sell) which I replaced with a Lynx manifold from the sixties--they are very rare. It came with a dyno'd engine of 135 hp. I added the manifold, custom headers, exhaust, a bigger weber--so I can estimate the hp is something more than the 135 to start.

I just had an SCCA inspection which it passed and now have my log book. I am almost ready to go.
Bill

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Bill:

I'm curious...what vintage group are you planning on running with? You mentioned that you had an SCCA inspection done and you're getting an SCCA logbook, but the only vintage group I know of that is tied to the SCCA is the VSCCA. I thought they had a strict year requirement on what runs with them, which would preclude Alpine involvement (I could be wrong on this, however).

Take care,

mototron

Donation Time
You can run with the VSCCA with a series 1 or II
1959 gets you in a series II is a extension of That

Rocco

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes, recently the VSCCA has relaxed the date and you can get some type of provisional logbook for post 1960 - I think they would allow up to 67/68. However there are some pretty tight restrictions regardless of year.

If I understand correctly, and some of this is still being discussed, you need comply with the following:

- Dunlop R5 Hard compound (or they will bump you up a class or might not let you run. It seems like there was a good bit of flak regarding Hoosiers on some cars at the last event)
- I don't think Webers are acceptable options. (at least they state they aren't acceptable)

As well as other restrictions aimed at keeping the cars as close to period as possible. As well as keep a fairly even playing field for the drum brake cars.

Steve

old grumpy

Donation Time
Complicated to make!

atallamcs said:
"a Lynx manifold from the sixties--they are very rare"
I can imagine.
It looks like a 1-4 2-3 manifold.
That how we like them to be.

old grumpy

Donation Time
Threats

How do you think you will be able to drive this astonishing car in anger. Everyone in the heat is a potential threat. Everyone can drive into the car.:eek:

Have you been writing about what you have done about the handling and suspension?

atallamcs

Donation Time
race car

Good question--though I think the answer is get ahead early and stay there.

This car is the subject of a book due out most likely next year. The book will cover how to build a vintage sports race car in detail with experts (the first half of the book) and then show by example a car that was built as suggested--this car in particular.

Bill

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Astounding workmanship! A couple of questions: Would you race it as an FIA car or SCCA F Production? Looks like an FIA build from the photos.
What club do you race under? Vintage rules are all over the place so am always interested in what other clubs allow.
Congrats on a fine job, wish I could see you run and will probably buy your book!