• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Race Car #64--Finally Finished

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Will most likely run SCCA F production.
Bill

Your club is different from ours then (not a surprise, they all seem to do vintage differently). The carb rules in SOVREN would have you run the original set ups, not Webers:

http://sovren.org/competition/rules...pine I,II,III,IV,V and Harrington Le Mans.htm

The alternative would be FIA which in some Groups allow changing them out. Enforcement though seems to depend on who is getting beat. I have a friend with a fast Mini (C Sedan) who ran a single DCOE. The Mini guys who had SU's protested that his manifold wasn't proper and that prohibited Webers. The club agreed but seems oblivious to the B Sedan guys running dual DCOEs!!!

atallamcs

Donation Time
race car

What about twin webers on my Harrington--it was an option in 1961--would that be allowed?
Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
What about twin webers on my Harrington--it was an option in 1961--would that be allowed?
Bill

Bill.. i think i may have mentioned this when your racer first broke cover a while back (as in before finsihing) Your mods seem unusual for historic racing in "production" class.

SCCA for prodcutino cars had alpines in class FP... they were very few homologated options.. carbs would be limited to Zeniths and Solex perhaps the strombergs.. not sure if you can retro or post fit them around in class.

The FIA rules allowed alpines to run 2xDCOE for SIV cars... in the early cars SII they ran 2xDCOE webers at the '63 TdF, LM in '63 but all the other runs at LM and sebring etc were Zenith powered and aluminium paneled cars. The LM winning harrington in '61 ran Zeniths.

I assume you will run in a higher class with a DCOE.. though i have seen some racing where they base it on throats/size.. so if a car had 2 x 38 mm zeniths they will let you run a single DCOE with 38mm chokes.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
My recent experience with RMVR showed that in the production class, they would not allow twin webers (well they said they would let me run a limited number of races).

They were rather unimpressed with the FIA papers I had for the webers, they did say they would put it through their eligibility committee if I was dead serious. Since I didnt pull the funds together this year it could be said I was not dead serious.

Now they were sort of flexible as far as the letter of the rules.
The MG in eligibility guy that I was interfacing said that they would allow
the same number and same size of throttles and you could go nuts.
I think this would therefore allow a twin 45 (since the strom throttles are pretty close to 45mm).

Personally I would use solex 40 or 44mm carbs on a zenith intake in that case as it would look stock and not require a magic intake.
If I can pull the funds for next year, thats probably what I will do.

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
My car runs in Group 4 with CVAR and they definitely have rules on carbs. I'm limited to running with the Zeniths that the car came with. Group 4 is the "super vintage" group, meaning cars that are 1961 and older, and they really try to keep this group true to the "spirit" of vintage racing. However, if I were to run in Group 2, which is the regular production group that my car would qualify for, I'm still limited to no more carb venturis than came on the car originally. In other words, a single side-draft Weber would work but dual side-draft Webers are a no-no.

I've a friend named Roger Davis who runs his Series V with RMVR. His car has dual Weber side-drafts and he claims that the RMRV doesn't give him a hard time. I don't think he runs a full schedule with them, though, and according to what RootesRacer said about what RMVR told him about letting him run a few races a year, that may be how Roger is getting to run those carbs. Roger and I have talked about him coming down here to run with CVAR at Hallett here in Oklahoma, but there would be no real class for him. I'm sure as a guest they'd let him run, but probably in the FIA class due to the carbs.

From what I can gather, the boys on the west coast have much more relaxed rules about what constitutes vintage than the rest of the country. As far as I'm concerned, I like the true vintage aspect of it all. Too many modifications raise the costs too much and leave you with a car that's too updated to be truly called vintage anymore.

My .02 worth,

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
From what I can gather, the boys on the west coast have much more relaxed rules about what constitutes vintage than the rest of the country

That depends on the Club. SOVREN tries to stay true to the "Vintage Spirit" and for SCCA cars, requires, for the most part, members to follow the GCR and PCS of the relevant years. Some members of other clubs cannot run SOVREN because their cars are over developed. Essentially, that is what concerns SOVREN the most, running over developed, replicas or silouette cars rather than what was run in the day. Enforcement is very hard and not universal, exceptions are made. Finally, I only am familiar with what SOVREN does, what RMVR and others do, I have no idea.