• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Project Sunbeam round 3

afssanders

Donation Time
I'm hard at it again

First off thank you. I appreciate all the compliments.

I have made the dash and console. Next I'l be mudding it up and making the wood inserts. Lignum vitae is the wood of choice, because it's cool and I can engrave into it. I still need to do a couple of things to consoles yet, but it's about done.

As always go to the bottom of the page for the most recent images.

Talk to yah guys soon.

http://gallery.me.com/mnwheelers#100533

afssanders

Donation Time
I'm hard at it again

First off thank you. I appreciate all the compliments.

I have made the dash and console. Next I'l be mudding it up and making the wood inserts. Lignum vitae is the wood of choice, because it's cool and I can engrave into it. I still need to do a couple of things to consoles yet, but it's about done.

As always go to the bottom of the page for the most recent images.

Talk to yah guys soon.

http://gallery.me.com/mnwheelers#100533

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
John, absolutely incredible build. It certainly looks like you are getting the full 10 pounds of mud in your 10 pound sack!

I was finally able to open your video on making and installing patch panels. A full two thumbs up. I have shown it to two individuals, one of whom is not really a car guy. As it started, both of them saw the length of the video and declared they did not have the time to watch the full 54 minutes, but they did. What more could you, as the director, producer and star, ask for?

Maybe I've missed this, but what are your intentions for a top? Are even planning on one?

Bill

afssanders

Donation Time
The top

Thanks guys. I'm glad you like it.

Bill
I have the convertible top made it'll be recovered this spring/summer. I like those tonneau covers, so I'll have one of those too. I also have the hard top. I have it widened, but not fitting good enough to the front header, so it'll be a nice little project for the winter months coming up before we know it.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
I really like the dash. Makes me look forward to the steering wheel choice. Some don't put enough thought into it and your choice will have quite an impact on how the dash looks overall.

Really good to see an update, we were a bit anxious to say the least. Brilliant design, still keeping period looks and period looking instruments. Love the thought you put into the console 'cubby' as well. Sweet.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
John,

Did I just miss it or are you still working the scratch built tail light lenses?

Again, upon review of the album, it's pretty amazing how you've set the level of creativity on this project several rungs of the ladder above what most would have. You've done really brilliant things and it shows more than just initiative and motivation. I'd bet pics of your project have probably prompted more WOW's and OMG's than most of the rest of the projects on this forum put together.

afssanders

Donation Time
rollbar/windscreen

Thanks. It took a bit to make.

The latest addition wasn't in the original plans of the car, but more of a entertaining thought from time to time until I came across some cool looking seat belts. It was going to be a removable rollbar/windscreen, but then it dawned on me. I modified the original convertible top to fit my friend Broc. Broc is a big guy, so the top might clear the rollbar, so off to the garage I went late Friday and found it did clear the rollbar. That night I had to dream up some cool hinges to make up over the weekend.
Now the rollbar hinges forward, so I can open my two side covers that house part of the convertible top mechanism. I guess a simpler solution would of been to make the rollbar narrower, but that doesn't look very good to me and I couldn't live with it, so it had to either be removable or hinge out of the way. I don't mind putting in the work for something I really want and in the end it pays off.
I'm back on the dash now. Still working the wood trim pieces and sanding primer. Soon I'll be making bezels for my toggle switches and engraving a few bits of wood, then wiring and starting her up before long.

sunbeamowner

Bronze Level Sponsor
Great job so far,however I would not want to have the 'heater' hoses inside the cabin. If by chance one day they started leaking hot pressurized water over my feet. But keep up the good work. :)

Doobs

Donation Time
definately coming together nicely John...Iam definately getting more envious everyday, as I havent touched the Mazpine in 6 months and prob wont start on it again till fall :( ....your progress pics give me new ideas everytime I see them.....:D

Alpine66

Donation Time
My thesaurus could not come up with any words that had not already been spoken here about this incredible project.
Fantastic work, and being able to see so much of the work as it progresses is great.

Bill mentioned a video on patch panels, is there a place on your homepage I missed that?

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
John, were you ever tempted to do the machine turned finish to your dash? Some of your pics almost have that look. I know it's an older style but there's nothing saying it has to stick with one. You being the metal working guy it almost seems like something that would be logical.

afssanders

Donation Time

Thanks for all the kind remarks.

I do love the look of metal finished stuff and it would of saved a lot of time, but it's in its final stage of primer now, so it'll end up be painted.

It's nice for me too to have documented the work. Sometime I forget something and all I have to do is refer to an image or video. Like what fitting was used where and how many coats of base or kandy were used. Pretty soon it'll have wires and that'll be nice to have a record of too.

Alpine66
Patch panel video is here
http://gallery.me.com/mnwheelers#100403

Now onto the heater hoses. I used brand new 200 psi minimum oil resistance hoses and barbed fitting you couldn't even take off without clamps on them(not kidding). All the hoses have been secured with high end rubber coated clamps and even the clamps that hold them to the barbed fitting have rolled rounded edges and even the screw does not dig into the hose. No rubbing or metal edges anywhere for them to rub against ever. I have taken every precaution to make sure they don't leak and I'm not finished yet. I didn't really want them in there, but it's getting a little bunchy under the hood for my taste. I assure you they will not leak and if they do. They will be jacketed with some super hooty high temp insulated silicone covering, so there really isn't anything to worry about, cause that jacketing will make that coolant flow to a safe place outside the cabin.

I spent the weekend painting the trunk and floor. I also metal finished the top part of the rollbar/windscreen. I painted the bottom half kameleon pearl gold to green

I have a feeling I'm going to end up selling the car. Business just isn't what it use to be and my wife wants another kid, so this could take care of that problem.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
And my money was on you selling it 'because' you didn't have any more work to do to it. Sorry, it seemed logical you wouldn't be too satisfied looking at it once there wasn't any more work to do.

Well, it's a one of a kind and certainly exclusive enough to not worry about another one on the market competing with you. We're certainly not bored with your project, or your updates and still anxious to see the final product.