• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Project Sunbeam round 3

afssanders

Donation Time
Evening boys. Its been awhile and yes for those of you that have been asking. I have started on my car again.
It was a nice break I had and I'm in the best shape of my life. I've spent a great deal of time with the family this summer too, but it's was time to cut back on the exercise to ever other day and get to business.
I did get a chance in the spring to fix where I rubbed through the clear and candy. About two months ago when the weather sucked here I made a trim piece for my front end over the weekend. About a month ago I made a couple of tail light bezels that was another week end. And for the last week I've been working on the plugs and mold for the lens.
Tomorrow night I'm getting started on wet sanding the edges, so I can finish the paint job up. This is very time consuming stuff, but necessary for good adhesion.

Here's a link to some pictures
http://gallery.me.com/mnwheelers#100533

twospeed

Donation Time
I just LOVE this car and what you are doing------makes me look like a shmuk on my car. Very beutiful work, keep it up.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I had actually been wondering how your project was progressing and now I can see. Great work :cool: . How far off is your car from being finished?

Regards, Robin.

socorob

Donation Time
I love the wider look, how much did you widen it? And the taillights are really sweet. I like the smooth modern look. How hard are those to repro? How hard would it be to add a clear spot at the bottom for reverse lights?

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Thing is beginning to take on a personality.... Picture 0577 looks like it's about to eat your dog. The detail work on it is wonderful.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
Casting your own taillamp lenses!!?? (I won't ask the 15-20 questions that brings up.....) Scratch building surrounds and trim pieces!! Amazing!! When we think we've been blown away by your creativity, you continue to up the ante. Your Sunbeam is stunning.

mikefuller2

Donation Time
Cool lights I am going to do something like that

FYI
If anyone wants to cast their taillights or other parts checkout the company websight I work for you can mold and cast a lot of parts. This is not a commercial just a refers. www.smooth-on.com or go to you tube and type in Smoothoninc and see how to videos.

thanks
Mike:D

afssanders

Donation Time

@twospeed Thank you. I've been at this sort of stuff for sometime, so it comes natural for me.

@RootesRacer Yes. I had the idea in my head for some time now. I knew I wasn't going to run stock lens or bezel after going to the extremes. A guy kind of has to follow through.

@64beam I'm hoping to have it finished by Back to the fifties. Which is the second or third weekend in June. I still have a lot of time consuming things to build. The modding and bodywork went pretty quite compared to what's to come. I want to build a cool grill bar and the dash and console will take some time.

@socorob 6" A guy could do it pretty easy if had the mold. I have to dye my lenses in ruby red and a bit of lemon yellow. If I were to do it dot or lower half. I would first pour the red part, remove it from the mold and make a clean line and then finish off by pouring the rest. I use a polyester resin that has an additive to it to keep it from yellowing or fading in the sun. Good poop, but expensive. I'll be making some front lenses too. That's why you don't see any pictures of me pour goo yet.

@Doobs, Series6 and Rodewaryer Thank you very much.

More pictures coming soon. I've been working at it since we left off. I just haven't taken the time to load them yet. Nothing to exciting anyways, just some repair work. Oh but I did meet with a fellow here in MN and talked with him about some ideas I have. If it works out. Man!!! It's going really be one of kind and the first of it's kind that I know of.

Night

afssanders

Donation Time
Products

FYI
If anyone wants to cast their taillights or other parts checkout the company websight I work for you can mold and cast a lot of parts. This is not a commercial just a refers. www.smooth-on.com or go to you tube and type in Smoothoninc and see how to videos.

thanks
Mike:D

I've heard of the company, but never thought to take it any further. I just looked the site over and the company you work for has good prices too. Better then the place I've been buying from for the last 12 years and you guys are closer.
However with the particular resin I use for the lenses I require a platinum base silicone. I noticed a long list of tin based ones. Do you sell the platinum based?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
afssanders;82236I want to build a cool grill bar and the dash and console will take some time. [/QUOTE said:
I think either an egg-crate type grill or several thin slats would look great.

socorob

Donation Time
Or some circular bars the same shape of the opening getting smaller and smaller, like concentric rings.

mikefuller2

Donation Time
Yes
We have 2 differnent series. 1. Smooth-sil series and Dragonskin series. Smooth-sil is a 10:1 and Dragonskin is 1:1 Series. The 10:1 are normally better for molding and the 1:1 are good mold material but are designed for parts and skins. You will see they cost a little more.
Thanks
Mike

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
I saw his pic of an idea he had sketched (or something) on a photograph, not sure I was keen on it but it did stick with the single bar grill and added to it.

I wouldn't bet on anything like an eggcrate (even though they are gorgeous) or anything like standard, as it would appear he is going for somewhere left of what you'd expect.

I do like the surround the car ended up with, similar and logical considering the body almost dictates something close to stock. The opening itself does leave room for creativity to be sure and I for one am curious how that's going to look.

afssanders

Donation Time
True fire flames

OK. I'm sick today, so bare with me. I have been working on my car, but haven't taken much time to post new images.
My latest project has been the paint work again, because I have to put the tranny back into the car to finish my console design. I don't want to put it in and take it out again, so the paint work has to be finished.
What you see in the image below has been a long time coming. I've enlisted the help of a new friend to lay down some art. Many samples have been sprayed colors added and removed. I think we have done this as tastefully as possible considering the color of the car and the color of the car was the whole point of the artwork on the side.

Enjoy the images

http://gallery.me.com/mnwheelers#100533

Attachments

• sunfire small.jpg
    sunfire small.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 95

64beam

Donation Time
Hi John,

Great flame effect :cool: . It really looks great and adds to the custom mods. Then again you could basically do anything to the car and I would be in awe. You could paint it pink with purple poker dots and I would still find it amazing (well almost) ;) . Keep up the great work.

Regards, Robin.