• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

new shows - Sunbeam on Overhaulin' Nov. 4th

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Last I heard it was a Tiger, at least according to hints on the Overhaulin' Facebook page back six months ago or so. I sure hope Chip didn't go full Alger on us.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
The Velocity site talks about a "prized Sunbeam Tiger" owned by Jim Horton, a high school autoshop teacher from Alhambra, CA. The episode is on the schedule for November 4 at 9pm. My DVR will be set and my eyeballs will be glued to the flatscreen looking for ideas and apparently looking to find out what a 4-cyl is doing in there.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The Velocity site talks about a "prized Sunbeam Tiger" owned by Jim Horton, a high school autoshop teacher from Alhambra, CA. The episode is on the schedule for November 4 at 9pm. My DVR will be set and my eyeballs will be glued to the flatscreen looking for ideas and apparently looking to find out what a 4-cyl is doing in there.

It probably wasn't. They will have some verbal story line about how the tired four banger was replaced by the factory, producing the Tiger. The sequence of a four being removed will be the visual while the story is told.

So out with the four, in with the 8 and now we can proceed to show you some of Chip's magic applied to a Tiger.

I have seen too damn much TV.

Bill

pcmenten

Donation Time
Looks like a small (260-302) Ford Windsor-type engine. If it were mine, it would be a stroked 5.0 HO.

Seems like the front turn signals are gone. I wonder how they dropped the front-end; Hillman spindles? And I wonder if they tried to correct the Ackerman problem. Nice racing stripes.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
No mobility frame (or rotisserie) to hold the bare body? So, they can't work on the undersides? What kind of hacks are they?
Jan

alpine_64

Donation Time
Looks like a small (260-302) Ford Windsor-type engine. If it were mine, it would be a stroked 5.0 HO.

Seems like the front turn signals are gone. I wonder how they dropped the front-end; Hillman spindles? And I wonder if they tried to correct the Ackerman problem. Nice racing stripes.

Ackerman issue gone.. has a Dale A aftermarket front end put in it.. owner kept the original 260 but modified.

No mobility frame (or rotisserie) to hold the bare body? So, they can't work on the undersides? What kind of hacks are they?
Jan

Dale A and Dan W were involved.. am sure the car got sorted... apparently they were impressed with the qaulity of the work

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I looked at Dale's axle's on display at Suni and don't see how the Ackerman issue could be solved. It is still front steer and the outer tie rod end appears to be in the stock location. Maybe some of the issues incurred by the wacky geometry caused by the angled tie rods have been addressed, but all that could do is make the Ackerman "perfectly" backward.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Was a 260 car body was in bad shape they did a nice job\

I couldn't believe how much the Overhaulin' Tiger looked like my SIV project! Same issues with previous repairs needing to be removed and re-installed. In my case, the truck opening was about 1/2 inch too narrow after one of the PO's had removed, straightened and reinstalled the rear valence. Just like with Overhaulin', the old work had to be removed and re-done. I immediately called the body guy working on my car and told him he had to watch the show!

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
they stated it was a 260 but not from a Tiger, that someone must have repalaced the orignal my guess that car was in some wreck

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I was disappointed. 1 it was a Tiger not Alpine, 2 other than a bunch of repairing previous bad bodywork, a "cobra" repaint and some nice interior work, nothing new was done on motor or suspension, not even a rollbar. And they bought their parts from Victoria British. I've seen some much nicer stuff done by people here and TE/AE. I learned nothing. JMO.
Ron

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Dale

I talked with Dale yesterday.

Victoria British got a credit cause they gave the parts away, Sunbeam Specialties and Dale sold them parts. It was right about the time we were bringing out our AC housing so at least I still have a prospective client.:)

The 260 5 bolt shown in a Chebby like red is hard to handle but never kick a gift horse in the mouth....
Lot's of cars had em I had an original build date code car without a numbers matching valve cover, hardly anyone cared.

The car was 80% finished as Dale pointed out and they had not even hooked up throttle cable when the starting was filmed with owner.
Huntington Beach 34 miles from Hollywood but smack dab in the not real made for TV land.

Good press none the less, who needs pesky things like a convertible top and weatherstripping on windsheild frame, etc ... anyway.:cool:

pcmenten

Donation Time
The 260 5 bolt shown in a Chebby like red is hard to handle ...

You'll be hating on my Ford V6 - I painted it Ford red with black valve covers. My car is 'Carnival Red' and I think that the red/black with just a touch of chrome combination is sharp.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
I loved it...

Hacks? Disappointing? Maybe I wasn't watching the same show.

They obviously media blasted the entire car, including underside. They normally don’t use that body dolly which positioned the car several feet off of the ground. I assume that was so they could get to the underside and it certainly looked like the underside had been cleaned up. They did an unbelievable amount of metal work in a short time, and way beyond just fixing some shoddy previous repairs. To me the level of craftsmanship seemed very high quality. Ostensibly, they do the overhaul in 1 week but that’s “TV time†and during this show some of them even hinted that they’d been working on it for more than a week; but still I think their time frame was incredibly short. After spending so much time doing metal work to get the car back in shape, there wasn’t a ton of time to do major customization, but Foose did some. I thought the front valance treatment was nice and some of his mods are very subtle. In this case I think he toned it down because the owner wanted something more classic (meaning stock to me). He did the Cobra paint job because they guy specifically asked for it. Add in all the interior work and I think they accomplished quite a bit. One of the biggest reason I like Foose, he really seems to consider and respect the owner’s point of view, while still trying to do cool stuff.

They clearly used a completely upgraded front cross member and suspension. They didn't discuss it much, so don’t know if it was one of Dale’s units or someone else’s. They did mention it used Mustang spindles. I have no problem with the show not giving credit to suppliers that charge them normal costs. If you don't consider it marketing then don't expect free publicity. Do you think MagnaFlow charges them all the time? No way, but they get a ton of PR for it.

I think they purposely didn't put in a crate 302 or such, because that engine (and its rebuild) had huge sentimental value to the owner.

If you can't guess I am a big fan of Foose and Overhaulin’. What they do is not easy, and at least on TV he comes across as a very nice guy, unlike many of the other celebrity car mod guys. I would hand over any one of my cars to them in a heartbeat and would love to hang out with Foose sometime.

If you want to see a hack, you should check out the guy working on my car. ;)

pcmenten

Donation Time
Todd, speaking of hack, I know you were speaking tongue-in-cheek when you implied you are a hack, but I seriously doubt you're hacking your car. Hiring someone to do work and having that job hacked is a constant source of frustration for me. Whether it's my vehicle, my property, even legal work, it seems to be everywhere.

That's the appeal of a show like Overhaulin'; seeing nice work being done quickly.

I had some valve work done on my V6 by a machine shop that was recommended to me. That was a hacked disappointment. Luckily I found a machine shop in Portland (,Oregon - Portland Engine Rebuilders) who were able to re-do the work to my expectations and even charged less. (And they use a Serdi valve seat machine!). They never criticized the work done by the other shop, but the work PER did was very satisfying. They also pocket-ported the heads. :)

The reason I do so much work myself has less to do with saving money than it has to do with not paying someone and then having to live with a hacked job. I think that's why many of us do our own work.

Sorry for the rant, it's a sore subject for me.