• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Master cylinder of choice?

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
You can see what I have now. It, along with the engine bay is a mess.

I'm planning on going through the whole braking system, including swapping the master cylinder out for a tandem. There isn't a booster. I've read the posts on master cylinder choices, but most are bit old now. Is there a proven tandem master cylinder with no booster solution that the forum has settled on?

master cyl.jpg

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Looks like the 71-76 Dodge Colt would be the best. The manual brake version is 11/16" the power version is 13/16". The old Datsun F10 was 3/4" and is no longer available. I suggested the Chevette 3/4" but don't think anyone has tried it yet.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
You can see what I have now. It, along with the engine bay is a mess.

I'm planning on going through the whole braking system, including swapping the master cylinder out for a tandem. There isn't a booster. I've read the posts on master cylinder choices, but most are bit old now. Is there a proven tandem master cylinder with no booster solution that the forum has settled on?

View attachment 15804

Ask three people and you will probably get at least that many answers. The issue has been discussed many times; use the forum search function to look for "tandem master cylinder."

Without a brake booster, anything larger than a 3/4" bore size will give a pretty hard brake pedal, but that is a personal choice. Your car, your decision.

The practical answer is whatever 11/16" or 3/4" tandem MC you can find and that will fit.

No personal experience and don't know if they will fit your V6 S-5, but they are available and look like they might work.

Last edited:

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
Thank you everyone for the advice. It looks like it would be safest to get a MC that routed the lines up versus down, due to interference below. I can find a 13/16 bore for a Colt, two reservoirs upward facing, I think I'll give that a try.

Here is what I ordered. Dodge Colt 1974, Premium Brake Master Cylinder by Centric 13/16 bore.

Last edited:

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
Any recommendations on Front Brake Pads? Manufacturer and part number if you have it. Thank you.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic or Bosch Semi-Metallic on Rockauto. Porterfield will reface your old pads and drums with performance material. I think you can also fit performance Datsun 240,260,280Z pads.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
NorCal, I have spent several years trying to find the 11/16 or 3/4 Master Cylinder for my V6's Lucked out and found a 11/16 Dodge Colt also a 3/4 that fits beautifully in the V6.

None of the Links Barry posted will work without a bunch of modifications.

260 posted a link to some of my recent finds:)

The POST with the old red valve covers is my '65 SIV GT getting the V6. Thta Cylinder works nicely.

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
I couldn’t find the 11/16 anywhere. Not sure why I thought 13/16 was less than 3/4, but I guess we’ll see how it feels.