• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Low Mileage Series 1

wipeout

Donation Time
I wonder what the reserve is? I wonder if that sweet story is true too? anyway... help me out with something....

My alpine had saddle tanks in the fenders with a cross over tube just in front of the back bumper inside the trunk. I see this S1 with a different tank config. My alpine had the 50's fins like this one and if you photoshoped primer gray over the pics it would be just like mine. I'm confused as to what one I had now.

:rolleyes:

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you had the later style trunk, you had a Series 3. It got the more upright windscreen , better seats and larger trunk, but retained the fins and earlier grill & front signal/parking lights.

I have a friend that may be going up to see this car today. If I remember correctly, the last time this car was seen it was in Ohio and none of the Ohio guys were allowed to get near it. I think the guy wanted to write a book and use this car for it's subject.

Anyway, I'll let you know what my friend thinks about it!
Cheers!
Steve

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Steve,
Ask your friend to take some close-up pics, if possible. This maybe the last time we will ever see it again. I think the license plates are 1965 Ohio. If they didn't remove the drive shaft for that towed 2,000mi trip, that transmission is toast.
(I wonder how it got from Cincinnati to Hebron, CT?)
Jan

alpine_64

Donation Time
I wonder what the reserve is? I wonder if that sweet story is true too? anyway... help me out with something....

My alpine had saddle tanks in the fenders with a cross over tube just in front of the back bumper inside the trunk. I see this S1 with a different tank config. My alpine had the 50's fins like this one and if you photoshoped primer gray over the pics it would be just like mine. I'm confused as to what one I had now.

:rolleyes:

it is liekly you have a S3, does the car have 1/4 windows on the doors? That will be a quick give away, also if it has telescopic rear dampers, not lever arms on the rear.

wipeout

Donation Time
it did indeed have the 1/4 windows on the doors...I cant speak as to the other. So, it was a S3...cool....

I'll tell you something though, after spending time around you kind folk, I don't really care what series I end up with (except Rapier or GT, I havn't learned an appreciation for those yet).

I have this beautiful smoke grey Alpine on my desktop that just makes me drool everytime I look at it.

heuer_3a.jpg

Im sure you all know this one....;)

wipeout

Donation Time
Great link...thank you....

Now my remorse is all the greater....my sister sold an S3 to a tow truck company for $50? gah... Im gonna cry.

:eek:

63 Beamer

Donation Time
Hey folks, I'm the guy that went to look at this car today. At least the one Steve was referring to. The good points are that the car does run, drives in first gear and reverse no problem (couldn't take it out on the road), the brakes work, all the electrical items work. Interior in very good condition. Odometer reads as advertised. Some of the rubber seals are shot, others look nearly new. Negatives would be the paint is pretty much shot, looks like something was stored on the car causing the paint to stain. The material for the convertible top is missing but the frame is there. Original gas cap is missing. There is a small dent on the left front fender and the front valence is slightly bent up. I took photos of the engine bay that I can post later. If anyone has questions feel free to email me.
Cheers!
Tom

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Re the paint, back then they used lacquer, so very likely one might be able to carefully sand down that surface discoloration and get to good, bright paint underneath.

John Boggis

Donation Time
Looks like a great project car...Question ? did they paint the hood catch plate on that series ? As the one on the pic is red.
Also looks like over-spray on the trunk rubber.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tom can attest as to the condition of the car as he's the only one that's been able to get near it. It is indeed a great project car that would be one of the most complete of its series. Unfortunately, as Tom found out, it's probably going to cost a kings ransom to get this car, somewhere in the vicinity of $15K, at which price point you could do alot better unless you just have to have this one.

He did take alot of engine bay pictures and he'll try & post them soon.

Cheers!
Steve

65beam

Donation Time
series 1

john,
i noticed those things also,along with several other things that aren't right .makes you wonder about the mileage .

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Looks like a great project car...Question ? did they paint the hood catch plate on that series ? As the one on the pic is red.
Also looks like over-spray on the trunk rubber.

Indeed. The wheel rims are red as well, and even the jack got painted red! (wheels should be cream-white and jack should be gray, correct?)

Perhaps it was crashed early on and the owner repaired it but it was never really 'right' after that?

wipeout

Donation Time
" Watson....hurry now...the game is afoot. "

They only drove it 5 miles a day for two weeks then had in hurmedically sealed in a time vacuum and then ported through fiber optics to the barn where it is now on display. I have the odometer reading to prove it.

:D

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I would first try some of 3M's products for paint. Maybe start with Fineness-it II and carefully use Imperial glaze in more difficult spots.

It might just buff out well.

Steve

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but weren't the wheels on Series 1s painted body color? I was under the impression that Series 2's had the wheels standardized in color.
Cheers!

Steve

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
5,683 miles? I have a problem with that. I understand the paint fade due to time, I almost understand minor damage due to handling/storage and the issue with something being put on or over the car. However, the spare does not look like an unused spare should, a bent wheel and valance, the soft top is 'gone'(?), as someone pointed out the paint on the boot rubber seal while the car's exterior paint is shot(?), and I don't care what a car's been through, that engine bay should not look like that with only 5k on it, stored a long time or not. But I'm a born skeptic so maybe it's just me.

Still, having said that, it doesn't make it all bad. Looks like a pretty good complete car otherwise.

How does one have the means and 'drive' to buy a car new in any year and yet you don't know if you fit in it or not? Weird.