• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Longer Lug Bolts for the Sunbeam Alpine/Tiger

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The "Catch 22" with wheel adapters is the minimum thickness. There has to be enough thickness to recess both the axle side lug nuts and the wheel side stud heads and still have enough material to provide adequate structural strength. Not saying that 1/2" thick adapters are not possible, but I don't remember seeing any commercially available wheel adapters that are less than about 1" thick.

As for "...where as adaptors chamge the pcd", there is no reason that the pcd's have to be different. I have a set of adapters that is 4x4.25 on both the axle flange side and the wheel flange side.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a set of adapters that is 4x4.25 on both the axle flange side and the wheel flange side.
Barry, nest time in your Neck-O-the-Woods I'd like to stop by and see what you have.

Merry Christmas

alpine_64

Donation Time
Also, I can see where as Michael stated the use of a spacer with out it's own bolts being unlawful is or could be a safety solution....?

Again, THANKS Guys! I am a Happy Sunbeam Owner wishing you all a Very Merry Christmas,
Hi Dan,

I believe the law in Victoria is a safety issue so people dont use slotted spacers or washers etc that could compromise stud strength etc..

Merry Xmas to you and yours. Stay safe and well... Sunbeam projects are the perfect social distance routine :D

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Barry, nest time in your Neck-O-the-Woods I'd like to stop by and see what you have.

Merry Christmas

Dan,

Merry Christmas to you as well.

You are welcome anytime. IIRC, the adapters I have are shown here:

I originally acquired them to allow the use of 15x6 +52.5 mm alloy wheels on the factory front suspension of my S-V. The 25.4 mm (1") thick adapter effectively reduces the +52.5 mm wheel offset to +27.1 mm which results in a backspace of 4-5/8" (just right on my S-V).

Note that the 4-5/8" backspace is only appropriate with 15" wheels; the maximum backspace for 14" wheels is about 4-3/8" and the maximum backspace for 13" wheels is about 4-1/8".​

Properly made double-lug wheel adapters are as strong as alloy wheels. Porsche has been using them (up to 4" thick) on "wide body" 911's since the early 1970's.

Last edited: