• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Longer Lug Bolts for the Sunbeam Alpine/Tiger

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Guys, I am in need of a replacement lug bolt for a project I am doing to one of my Alpines. The stock lug bolt is a 7/16-20 and I measure 1 5/8" in length.

The bolt I need as a replacement should be 2 1/2" in length ( I may get by with 2 1/4" but prefer 2 5/8").

What brought this about was while doing a Rear disc conversion and utilizing a different wheel, the spacing between the hub and the wheel had to be increased by 1/2", so I used a spacer that provided that spacing. But in so doing I do not have suffient threads to be safe mounting the wheel.

Any suggestions, recommendations, comments are surely welcome.

alpine_64

Donation Time
There was a moroso part Jim E had used several times.. Camt recall the number off the top of my head.. But maybe a search in the old forum will come up with it

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Michael & Bern for reminding me to search! I had but it just didn't seem to provide what I was looking for, But I did again and spent more time screening the POST a bit better and found what I was looking for..... Thanks,

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Welcome. Hope you could find the desired length. Another tricky bit could be the dimension of the serrated portion...

90days

Donation Time
Hey Dan, I purchased 2 set of longer wheel studs back in May 2019 from an eBay seller in United Kingdom. I send him a message and he still has studs available to sell. They were pricy with shipping back in 2019. If you are still looking, I can check on exact length and prices. Let me know Tony

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes, Tony! I am still interested. Would like to know his various lengths too.

I think 2" up to 2 and 1 and a half inches would be OK.

I found some from NAPA that are 2 1/8" lond but the Knurls are larger in diameter than the stock Alpine. My Machine Guys is currently fixing some for me. Still interested in your source pricing and shipping to the USA.

THANKS,

90days

Donation Time
I'll contact him for the length and pricing. If anyone else is looking for longer wheel studs, maybe we could make a group purchase at a discount? I was thinking about replacing the studs on my rear axle, so I could use a couple sets. I’ll post the information and with his permission his eBay account.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Dan, you mentioned 1/2 inch spacers in first post. I had sourced spacers to convert the 4 bolt 4-1/4 inch to 4 bolt 4 inch in order to acomadate a set of Hyundi wheels. Spacers are at 1-1/4 thick. held to the hub with existing studs and nuts, and their own bolts for wheel mounting.
Have been working fine for 3 years.
Bob

alpine_64

Donation Time
They are wheel adaptors/ spacers can go 4 to 5 stud or 4x ??? to 4x ??? Ot jist widen but with safety as the spacer is bolted not floating.

As a side note.. hyundai is normally 4x114.3 per jdm cars

s-l400.jpg

mike_also

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi DanR. I just replaced (~ 2 months ago) all my studs with 2.5" 7/16 x 20 Morosos (from Summit); rather had a machine shop increase the hub holes by a little and press the studs into front and rear hubs to accomodate VTO wheels (w/ open end nuts). VTO uses 17mm drive 7/16 x 20 nuts and wheel lug hole are sized accordingly. If they had been larger I would have gone with 1/2 x 20 which have a 19mm or 3/4" head. If your wheels can accomodate the bolt head size ... I speculate 1/2 x 20 will give a little more substance for enthusiastic wheel turning.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Photo of adapter from Mike is a good representation of what I have installed. I'll see if I can post a few pic's. as I'll be in the shop today.
Bob

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
How do 1-1/4" thick wheel adapters address Dan's need for longer studs to accommodate 1/2" thick spacers between the rear axle flanges and brake disks?

alpine_64

Donation Time
How do 1-1/4" thick wheel adapters address Dan's need for longer studs to accommodate 1/2" thick spacers between the rear axle flanges and brake disks?
Barry you can get various lengths of studs in the spacers and can switch pcd

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
As I read it, Dan’s spacers are just that, a disk that uses the hub studs. The spacers that alpine_64 show in the pics have studs as part of the spacer

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Barry you can get various lengths of studs in the spacers and can switch pcd

Michael,

I understand how wheel adapters and wheel spacers (not the same thing) work; I currently have a set of adapters on my car / workbench.

Wheel adapters can have various lengths of studs and and lug patterns, but that has nothing to do with my question. Dan very clearly stated that he needed longer wheel studs to accommodate 1/2" thick spacers between the rear axle flanges and the brake disks.

My question remains; how do 1-1/4" thick wheel adapters (as shown in post #11) address Dan's need for longer studs to accommodate 1/2" thick spacers between the rear axle flanges and brake disks?

An alternative question might be how do 1-1/4" thick wheel adapters address Dan's need to move the brake disk (and caliper) outboard by 1/2"?

Last edited:

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Sorry, guys, guess I started to move things away from Dan's needs. Just thought if an adapter like the 1-1/4 I was using with studs sticking out worked in my case, maybe a half inch adapter with studs would work for Dan.
Cheers, Bob

alpine_64

Donation Time
Michael,

I understand how wheel adapters and wheel spacers (NOT the same thing) work; I currently have a set of adapters on my car / workbench.

Wheel adapters can have various lengths of studs and and lug patterns, but that has nothing to do with my question. Dan very clearly stated that he needed longer wheel studs to accommodate 1/2" thick spacers between the rear axle flanges and the brake disks.

My question remains; how do 1-1/4" thick wheel adapters (as shown in post #11) address Dan's need for longer studs to accommodate 1/2" thick spacers between the rear axle flanges and brake disks?

An alternative question might be how do 1-1/4" thick wheel adapters address Dan's need to move the brake disk (and caliper) outboard by 1/2"?
Barry,

I just made the jump that bobs suggestion of the adaptors was to get a 1/2" spacer/ adaptor setup to solve the issue.

I say spacer/ adaptor as they are still a spacer and can be had with same pcd as existing wheels...where as adaptors chamge the pcd.

In my state floating spacers are not legal, you havd to use the bolt on style.

Merry Christmas everyone

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I thank all for their input! As usual the SAOAC has lots of Members that have some keen ideas on how to resolve all sorts of issues.

I found answers to the need of longer bolts and learned also of the spacers with "bolts" as part of the spacer.... never heard of that :)

Also, I can see where as Michael stated the use of a spacer with out it's own bolts being unlawful is or could be a safety solution....?

The 13" wheels I currently have on my GT (BW35) needed the 1/2" spacer to clear my "New" rear disc calipers, that is why I asked for the longer wheel bolts. All of this is nothing more than a tempory measure to get the Alpine on the road for testing purposes, then I will change out the 13" wheels to 15" er's.

Again, THANKS Guys! I am a Happy Sunbeam Owner wishing you all a Very Merry Christmas,