• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Jose V-6 header question

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
A question for those who have gone before. I installed the v-6 w/ Jose kit today for the mockup of hoses and build of new fuel/brake/clutch lines. I also bolted up the headers. My headers come off the engine and take a turn of 30 - 45 degrees outboard, rather than running relatively straight back. From the header flange, I have little room to make a tight turn back to the center of the car to use the exhaust pass throughs (2) at the xmember, beside the d-shaft tunnel. The way the header flange is placed, it would be set up great for side pipes. Is this the normal way these headers turn out?

Maybe one of you has a pic of your headers from the bottom side? Thanks for input.

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
Never Mind.....I just found KMathis shots and my headers end in a similar location. The lesson here....read first....then ask. Invaluable forum...

kmathis

Donation Time
Hi:
The headers are designed to point slightly out to the side as shown on the attached pictures of my car; it is the easiest way to run the exhaust on the Alpine without modifying the cruxiform. Some of the guys have modified the cruxiform and headers in order to run them down the middle. My exhaust system including the mufflers were $550.00 and they sound great. Also, the side pipes are still no lower than the center of the cruxiform so there is no ground clearance issues.
I am extremely satisfied with the way my car turned out after this conversion;:D I hope that your car turns out as well.

gordonra

Donation Time
I've got the Patriot side pipes and I'm disappointed in the low ground clearance (and louder than I prefer). I had to cut and weld the chrome inlet pipes to allow connection to the headers.

As soon as I can get a day to take it, and the cash at the same time, I plan on having it done as Kelly's.

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
V6 header question

On my first V6 conversion I had my muffler guy cut off the curved outward parts and put straight pieces in, then ran the pipes down the center on either side, through the cruciform. Sure, I had to cut some pass through holes on the passenger side of the cruciform and it worked out just fine. I also shortened the battery box by 6 inches to allow for the mufflers to fit ahead of the rear axle, allowing the exit pipes to go under the rear axle, ala Tiger style. Moved the battery box to the passenger side of the trunk (boot) and re-routed the battery cable. I am doing the same thing with the current V6 conversion under construction. The Alpine's cruciform is extremely sturdy and over-engineered. The addition of two holes on the passenger do not affect the overall integrity all. By doing the exhaust system this way there is no visible pipe hanging down, viewing from the side, and no exposed pipes in the wheel well. To me, it makes a much more pleasing to the eye view of the car and conceals the changes made to the car, keeping it more stock in appearance. To each his own, and all of us have different ideas building our cars.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Kelly and Rich,

You guys plan to have your cars at the Tiger event in Long Beach, right?

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks all. I have already modified the cruxiform for the second pipe and intended to run the pipes through there, but will have a challenge as this set of headers is so close to the stiffners in the front two corners of the floor pans. As much as I like side pipes, my bride wont get in it after the first time she burns her calf as she steps out. The xtra noise will get on my nerves after a while as well. 30 years ago, I was happy with header mufflers ending just under my seat.....times change.

kmathis

Donation Time
Kelly and Rich,

You guys plan to have your cars at the Tiger event in Long Beach, right?

I plan on having mine there; I am going to the auto cross on Saturday and then over the the Queen Mary for the rest of the day. I am just going to make the day of it.
I really hope to see you there; and if there is other opportunities that weekend, that would be great.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I plan on having mine there; I am going to the auto cross on Saturday and then over the the Queen Mary for the rest of the day. I am just going to make the day of it.
I really hope to see you there; and if there is other opportunities that weekend, that would be great.

I know where the Queen Mary is. Where will the autocross be? I forgot if there was a posted schedule of events.

kmathis

Donation Time
I have to look that up my self; I is over by the Long Beach Airport, maybe the city college. It is a little ways from the Queen Mary. I will PM you my number so we can connect.

socorob

Donation Time
Hi kelly, what size exhast did you run?

Gordon, I saw your you tube video, what size side pipes did you use?

gordonra

Donation Time

Kelly and I both ran 2.5" pipe all the way back, and under the axle. Our mufflers are different but similar, and I had my pipe flattened.

Rich

gordonra

Donation Time
did you flatten them out under the axle? what mufflers did you 2 use?

I don't know what mine are. I just let the muffler guy get them for me, but they are supposed to be a "turbo" style. The pipes are flattened from just behind the adapter to the header back behind the X member to offer a bit more ground clearance, and reduce visability from the side view. I'm not sure where the flattening stops for sure. Will have to look.

Rich

kmathis

Donation Time

Hi, Robbie:

I actually ran 2.25" exhaust pipes and I did not have them formed into an oval, and I have no ground clearance issues. The Muffler Man picked the Turbo Mufflers for me...I told him I wanted it to sound like a V8, and he said, "no problem" and it sounds like a V8 at idle, and I have been told that it sounds like a Porsche accelerating at full throttle. I am pretty satisfied with it.:)

socorob

Donation Time
Ok crazy question: are your engines the same specs, and if so does one setup seem to make more power than the other?

gordonra

Donation Time
Ok crazy question: are your engines the same specs, and if so does one setup seem to make more power than the other?

Kelly has several performance mods, while mine is currently stock. So he has considerably more hp than I do.

I think that one of us in not remembering correctly because I was sure we had the same size pipe. I'd have to measure to bolster my memory.

The flattened pipe should have no less volume than the original round because it does not have any negative curve. It gets wider and narrower, and the area inside the tube stays consistant until you crush it in to a negative curve.

Rich

kmathis

Donation Time
Yup, I just measured; 2.25" exhaust pipe all the way. I don't know too much about how much HP one makes over another, but my car hauls a$$.