• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

I'm trying to ID a '68 Rootes engine

old grumpy

Donation Time
curse Chrysler

It is difficult to understand how the company people where thinking when they renamed the Rapier/Arrow to Alpine and on top of that put a less powerful engine in it.

c.williams.aia

Silver Level Sponsor
68 Alpine Coupe (N. America)

Interesting discussion. I'm looking for a graphic of the car, so far I haven't come up with one. Can anyone post a shot? 65beam do you have this one?

Thank you!

65beam

Donation Time
rootes engine

to the person wanting to see a photo of the fastbacks,go into the photos for invasion 8. look at photos # 28,29,42 & 56 . those are photos of my car.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
It is difficult to understand how the company people where thinking when they renamed the Rapier/Arrow to Alpine and on top of that put a less powerful engine in it.

The GT model of the fastback Alpine (with twin Strombergs) was rated only about 5hp less than the Series V, but I vaguely recall the claimed 0-60 times were about the same, maybe due to the fastback's more streamlined design.

The Alpine Coupe was the slowpoke. The single-carbed 1725 was rated at about 70hp. Stripped of about 200lbs of bells and whistles (it weighed slightly less than the two-seater Series Alpines), it was good for economy and cheaper off the showroom floor, but probably no quicker than the 1953-55 Alpine.

I'm sure Chrysler thought Alpine was a lot more marketable name than Rapier in the States and its too bad they slapped the name on what is basically a family touring car. But hey, there are still some long-time "Mark" Alpine owners around who don't consider Series cars to be "real" Alpines either.

sunbeammadd

Donation Time
At least the Arrow Alpine had two doors. The fourth generation Alpine had five! :)

I'm sure Chrysler thought Alpine was a lot more marketable name than Rapier in the States and its too bad they slapped the name on what is basically a family touring car. But hey, there are still some long-time "Mark" Alpine owners around who don't consider Series cars to be "real" Alpines either.