• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

headlight trim

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Here's a pic of the factory hole location for a fixing screw (bottom, towards center of the car).

The rim had a modification on the inside to beef it up a little at the fixing screw location.

Allan

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
On the discussion on the previous page about recouping tooling costs... It could be that they are casting the parts using a 'lost wax' process, where, aside from your original wax-capable mold, the pattern is made and consumed for each part you make. So, tooling is pretty low, but there's a lot of non-automated hand work involved. Also, getting out all the stuff and setting up for the run isn't something you want to do 'on-demand.' I suppose another way to do it would be to CNC the whole thing. Up-front costs will be significant, unless you do it basically as a hobby. Bill Blue, is it time to upgrade your mill?

Ken

66Tiger

Donation Time
Kip Motors uses a RTV mold process, then they pour some form of metal. Their process is fair cheap in material cost but requires some labor. Also you get a limited number of pulls from a mold. I imagine the metal they use shortens the life of the mold more than the resin I use.

I borrowed a non-peaked rim awhile back, and cast several copies from it. I encountered shrinkage issues with the resin and was not happy with the results or comfortable with providing any to other Sunbeamers. I can overcome the problem but it was more work than I wanted to do at the time.

If there was enough interest I would pursue this project again.

Anyone who is truly interested in a reasonable priced resin set of non-peaked rims...please email or PM me...and I will go from there.

Click To Email Paul

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I suppose another way to do it would be to CNC the whole thing. Up-front costs will be significant, unless you do it basically as a hobby. Bill Blue, is it time to upgrade your mill?

Ken
I would have to get a brain transplant, or at least some sort of an upgrade before upgrading the mill to CNC. Because I am computer stupid and have a bit of dyslexia, I wouldn't have a chance. But it would probably be a piece of cake for someone that is CNC capable.

Bill