• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

headlight trim

howard

Donation Time
It LOOKS like it's made on an angle, to fit the Mini. Even if it were the right size, it might be skewed. The only way to find out is pony up $20.00 and get one!:D

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Jeb,

The Rootes style headlight rims have the 'tab' at the top of the rim which sits on the light retainer. I personally would not go by the pictures as it ould be a waste of money. Maybe try a swap meet or similar where you can compare the rims. The rim would not look right as the Mk II rims have a 'peak' to follow the line on the front guards.

Hope this helps, Robin.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Doesn't appear to have an upper retainer on the rim that would work with an Alpine, so while it might fit it wouldn't stay on.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Not to be a naysayer, but... nay. At least I think. A few years ago, I walked around a fairly large all-marque show with one non-peaked rim in-hand, looking for a match. Came up empty. However, if you can get the manufacturer info from Moss, it would be worth pursuing. The comments say "chrome plated brass" as the fabrication method, which should make a very good rim. (good boat hardware is chrome plated cast brass...) The pricing seems very reasonable, too. I'm sure the MG parts are higher volume items, but I know folks who have paid north of $100 for a rim that still needs some work. Anybody know the Moss folks well enough to sniff out the supplier?

Ken

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
Okay the only way to find out is to try so I am willing to "pony up" $20 + shipping (economy version) to this long odds experiment. I may just drill a hole opposite the clip. If it falls off hopefully it won't take a chunk of paint w/ it.
Howard, I met a girl from Texarkana years ago while attending South Carolina A beauty named Gayla w/ long shiny auburn hair, green eyes, and an accent like honey. Hopefully for you all the girls from there are all just as pretty.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
It doesn't look like it has the small peak at the top like Sunbeam headlight rims. So, even if it attaches to the car, it won't look right.

Case in point: The LeMans Tigers had non-peaked rims similar to these. Every photo I see of the LeMans Tigers makes me think: why didn't Rootes grab some old Mark VIII Husky rims out of the parts bin? The only reason I can think that they didn't is that late Series III Alpines must've been using the clip-on style rims instead of the screw-style, which the Husky used.

alpine_64

Donation Time
It doesn't look like it has the small peak at the top like Sunbeam headlight rims. So, even if it attaches to the car, it won't look right.

Case in point: The LeMans Tigers had non-peaked rims similar to these. Every photo I see of the LeMans Tigers makes me think: why didn't Rootes grab some old Mark VIII Husky rims out of the parts bin? The only reason I can think that they didn't is that late Series III Alpines must've been using the clip-on style rims instead of the screw-style, which the Husky used.

I think you'll find they had the screw in type.. funny thing about rootes.. all the LM alpines ran round headlight rims.. not the peaked ones.. the LM Tigers.. and 2 of the 3 years at sebring the same.. privateers tended to run the MKII/husky style rims.. not sure why the factory didnt. I notice now that after restoration at least 1 of the LM tigers has the matched rims.. as does a ex-LM Alpine.

howard

Donation Time
Hopefully for you all the girls from there are all just as pretty.

Rats! Now you've let the cat out of the bag (he says, mixing metaphores). My wife of 28 years was born here in T-town, and she's just that way! Don't tell anyone else. It'll be our little secret.:D

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I tried the headlight rim from my MGB. It was a smaller outside diameter than the dimension of the fender. So it didn't reach the edges around the headlight. Which brings up another question. How hard is it to find the regular headlight rims? One of mine is bent. Looks like pot metal so I doubt it could be straightened. How are they held on? Mine looks like someone rigged it with a couple of screws at the bottom and a short piece of metal. It was screwed in to the fender under the headlight.

mikephillips

Donation Time
The headlamp rims should have a small strip of metal across the top that fits onto the top of the headlamp bucket. That strip was originally rivetted on but the rivets tend to corrode and I personally replace them with small flat head sheet metal screws. The bottom is held on either by a screw through a clip on the headlamp bucket or by a clip to clip in the same loaction. The screw retaining ones should be on series I through IV and the clip on for series V.

howard

Donation Time
I have the clip type for my early SIV. Pretty sure they're what came on the car originally. (Might be one of those Rootesrisms where they just picked up the closest part that would fit at the time...)

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
I have been looking for one mark II rim for some time and have looked at several options. Haven't found an option yet. I came up with a set of Husky rims but they are thin sheet metal with no clip at the top, will not fit.

The late alpine and Mark II rims, of course have round center for the light and the outer circle id slightly eccentric with the top being wider or taller than the sides and bottom.

Everything I have seen that is any where close is symmetrical circles.

About a year ago one member was working on casting some out of resin of some sort but have not seen anything on this effort.

Paul

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
Alpine Addict,
I looked (quickly) in the kip motors site under Sunbeam and did not see them. However they do have a few other hard to find items that are kind of pricey. Do you know where I should look for the rims?

The rim from Mini mania arrived today. I just opened up the box and it looks like the rims will not fits as you all thought. I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you all know.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Alpine Addict,
I looked (quickly) in the kip motors site under Sunbeam and did not see them. However they do have a few other hard to find items that are kind of pricey. Do you know where I should look for the rims?

Download their catalogue and you have to look it up by Lucas number. Or, an easier way, is to send them an email or simply call them. They do have them.