• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Harrington Alpine For Sale

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
This is odd... I got an message from one of the bidders who thinks I'm having the bids hiped up by one of the other bidders who bid 16 times prior to out bidding one of the other bidders. The car isn't even at the reserve and he is asking me to ban this other bidder from the auction. Sounds to me like he wants to knock out his competition.

If anything... I'm having second thoughts about selling it and have been thinking about ending the auction. Stuff like this really makes me not want to sell the car at all.

Like I have any control over the bidders and their bid strategies. Give me a break! :mad:

Jim E

Donation Time
Hope I did not cause you any grief with my fooling around talking about the V6 stuff. I know this car is the best example of the car there is out there, I have driven it and it is top notch, heck I feel honored to have got to tune on the car! The car could not be reproduced for 100k not including the price of the project car if you could find one. Top it off with there are only a very small handful guys in the world who would know how to build it right and well... there you are.

Ian think I would have run it across one of the big TV show auction blocks....

I bet some smart guy in a country with a good exchange rate ends up snapping it up putting it in a container and sending it somewhere they drive on the right side of the road.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
This is odd... I got an message from one of the bidders who thinks I'm having the bids hiped up by one of the other bidders who bid 16 times prior to out bidding one of the other bidders. The car isn't even at the reserve and he is asking me to ban this other bidder from the auction. Sounds to me like he wants to knock out his competition.

If anything... I'm having second thoughts about selling it and have been thinking about ending the auction. Stuff like this really makes me not want to sell the car at all.

Like I have any control over the bidders and their bid strategies. Give me a break! :mad:
Ian, don't pay any attention to the bozoid. The world seems to be full of people who think anyone that bids using a strategy different than theirs is a shill. Most of them don't even know how Ebay works.

Bill

R

rawmusclecar

Bozoid

The circle of people in the hobby of collecting cars is a tight knit one. Bill I would watch calling people BOZOID when you have no idea who you are talking about. Agreed its a nice car, but rare does not always mean valuable or big money, the last one like this to sell was at R&M IN 2006 for 35 with fees it was fully restored and in concourse condition. Ian if you are fishing for big money or have doubts pull the car and keep it. As far as the person bidding every ten seconds, I asked you to remove them, we will wait and see.
Your response Ian was not the same to me as when you are on the board here with your buddies... Quote I DONT KNOW F HE IS SERIOUS OR NOT OR WHAT HIS GAME IS, I WOULD WANT TO TALK TO THE OWNER IF I WAS BIDDING ON THE CAR MAKES ME WONDER IF THESE GUYS ARE SERIUOS. IF HE BIDS AGAIN I WILL CONTACT HIM TO DISCUSS HIS INTENTIONS.. end quote. You have all the control its you auction and car..

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Wasn't the Harrington sold at R+M a LeMans? 1725 engine, black painted engine bay - I wouldn't have considered it concours, personally. Nice driver and a nice car overall but not concours.

I am not sure I would use that as an Apples to Apples comparison. However, it is certainly a reference.

Steve

65beam

Donation Time
harrington

steve ,
the car that sold at R & M was a long way from being a concourse car .i was offered the car before it went to asia .it has a late series alpine cross member which means it has the wrong suspension along with many other things that are wrong such as a 1725 motor with none of the harrington bits .by no means was it restored to concourse .and i don't see what is wrong with someone bidding many times to make sure they get what they want. i do it all the time. i guess if i'm going to get outbid,the guy that beats me will pay dear to get it.i agree with many others that ian's car is great and it should go for much more than the current bids.heck,i remember when ian was a youngster and hoping to get a lemans. ian,how many harringtons have you had ?and by the way ian, jean says it's not right for you to sell it. she just won't let me buy it !

alpine_64

Donation Time
I bet some smart guy in a country with a good exchange rate ends up snapping it up putting it in a container and sending it somewhere they drive on the right side of the road.

Nah.. I bought a Tiger! :D .. but i SERIOUSLY considered Ians car when on offer a few years back... and that was before all the current work was done.. This car is an absolute gem.. and for me they are much nicer than the LeMans versions.. If only i had the cash.. and the exchange rate is just right at the moment!

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Why would you ask him to remove the bidder or pull his car? You seem to be whispering "fire" in the hopes of seeing some smoke.

As far as trying to "hype" the auction, although the number of bids is extreme, this isn't the first person to try to find the reserve thru multiple, closely-spaced bids. The so-far-anonymous bidder in question has 523 feedbacks - hardly the typical shill profile.

If you really want the car, you'll do what all good SuperSnipes do: place your maximum bid with 5 seconds left in the auction and hope for the best.

The circle of people in the hobby of collecting cars is a tight knit one. Bill I would watch calling people BOZOID when you have no idea who you are talking about. Agreed its a nice car, but rare does not always mean valuable or big money, the last one like this to sell was at R&M IN 2006 for 35 with fees it was fully restored and in concourse condition. Ian if you are fishing for big money or have doubts pull the car and keep it. As far as the person bidding every ten seconds, I asked you to remove them, we will wait and see.
Your response Ian was not the same to me as when you are on the board here with your buddies... Quote I DONT KNOW F HE IS SERIOUS OR NOT OR WHAT HIS GAME IS, I WOULD WANT TO TALK TO THE OWNER IF I WAS BIDDING ON THE CAR MAKES ME WONDER IF THESE GUYS ARE SERIUOS. IF HE BIDS AGAIN I WILL CONTACT HIM TO DISCUSS HIS INTENTIONS.. end quote. You have all the control its you auction and car..

napa 1

Donation Time

I'm beginning to think you're right Ian. What a lot of baloney. Your car needs a more sophistocated buyer than the typical ebayer.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor

Sorry if I hurt your feelings. How should I refer to someone who complains because another person is repeatedly bidding on the car? I think the person is simply following the Ebay prompt to bid again.

Bill

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
Well... I'm not going to ban any bidders. I can't control bidding stratigies for anyone and to rawmusclecar's point, this has been bitter sweet for me and the idea of ending the auction has crossed my mind. I was a bit angry that the guy accused me of shilling, but I'm past that now.

I guess to explaine my point from the earlier post about people being serious. I've received a lot of nice messages from people telling me what a nice car it is, but not any questions from the bidders. It's funny that I get more questions about a 50.00 used part than I do a car like this. I just find that odd.

A

alpine in calgary

Well... I'm not going to ban any bidders. I can't control bidding stratigies for anyone and to rawmusclecar's point, this has been bitter sweet for me and the idea of ending the auction has crossed my mind. I was a bit angry that the guy accused me of shilling, but I'm past that now.

I guess to explaine my point from the earlier post about people being serious. I've received a lot of nice messages from people telling me what a nice car it is, but not any questions from the bidders. It's funny that I get more questions about a 50.00 used part than I do a car like this. I just find that odd.

I would venture to say you would get more questions about a $50 part because that $50 part could turn out to be junk(not saying you sell junk parts ;))...people a funny that way......some are so tight fisted over a few lousy dollars that they dont see the big picture.

My best guess in regards to the lack of questions about the Harrington is how you listed it.You summed up the car very well with a lot of detail on what was done to it and by whom.Given your standing within the alpine community on a worldwide scale I hardly think anyone that is serious about the car is going to dispute any claims you have made about what has been done and the pictures are extremely good proof of how pristine the Harrington is..........just my 2 cents :cool:

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
I would venture to say you would get more questions about a $50 part because that $50 part could turn out to be junk(not saying you sell junk parts ;))...people a funny that way......some are so tight fisted over a few lousy dollars that they dont see the big picture.

My best guess in regards to the lack of questions about the Harrington is how you listed it.You summed up the car very well with a lot of detail on what was done to it and by whom.Given your standing within the alpine community on a worldwide scale I hardly think anyone that is serious about the car is going to dispute any claims you have made about what has been done and the pictures are extremely good proof of how pristine the Harrington is..........just my 2 cents :cool:

Yep... good point.:)

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Well she peaked out at $23k, which isn't bad but no where near the reserve. Not sure what this tells us, but it's a respectable number, and says that high quality restored Alpines are climbing in value.

mattm

Donation Time
I think it could be the economy. I watched some of Barrett Jackson this year and it seemed like those prices were down as well.

Matt