• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fuel Injected Tiger

atallamcs

Donation Time
Tiger Fuel Pump

This is where we located my high pressure fuel pump. It is mounted on my battery box, (relocated and fabricated a battery box), wrapped in rubber to reduce vibration and sound.
Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
This is where we located my high pressure fuel pump. It is mounted on my battery box, (relocated and fabricated a battery box), wrapped in rubber to reduce vibration and sound.
Bill

Bill on my alpine when i first installed an electric pump i located it on the back of the battery box and insulated it with rubber (actually a stuby holder!.. very aussie of me) i would not do that again.. it caused the pump to get hot and killed it prematurely.

What i then did was to mount it using isolated exhaust bobins, no sound to the car, and no hot pump... hopefully some helpful advice.

atallamcs

Donation Time
Pump Location

Hi Michael,
I am not sure why there would be a heat issue as the pump sits in the flow of air under the car?? Also, inside my battery box, the sides are lined with a rubber insullation and contain an optima battery.
Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Only two injectors????? What size are they? How does it idle?

Hi Duke,

I think you will find that there are four injectors and not two. There are two injectors under each red fuel rail. In the instructions it does show four. Not sure what size the injectors are though, but they are good for up to 550Hp. I am very, very interested in this setup and hoping to have one by the years end. Check out the links on youtube, definitely worth a look.

Regards, Robin.

Jim E

Donation Time
I wonder if you could use the drain plug to fit the new fuel line, was think of doing that for the extra fuel feed on a NOS set up.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I wonder if you could use the drain plug to fit the new fuel line, was think of doing that for the extra fuel feed on a NOS set up.

A good ECU will take the NOS solenoid command signal and automatically give the extra fuel through its injectors.

Dry system=.

Jim E

Donation Time
Wet system on a carb motor, not installed because I do not have a mech secondary carb.

Was just thinking to make a FI install easier could you remove the drain plug in the bottom of the one [think only one tank has a drain plug] and plumb a new delivery line from that hole. Might get away with no removal of the tanks and no welding on the tanks or cross over tube. Also wonder if the return line needs to be fitted to the tank at the top or in a position that is not under gravity fuel pressure. Guess it is not a concern if the return fuel is under much pressure.

Just thinking out loud and showing I do not know much about FI

ducsingle

Donation Time
Great looking installation. This is definitely going on my "to do" list for my Alger.

Maybe a minor point, but it appears your mechanic did not use fuel injection type hose clamps on the fuel injection line coupled to your new fuel pump.

Where did you have the work done?

ducsingle

Donation Time
Forgot to ask - - - do you see an increase in fuel economy?

I'm not really interested in more power, but I would like to see greater fuel range.

Seems like it might be good to coordinate installing this kit with a fuel cell to increase fuel capacity and avoid welding on the stock parts.

64beam

Donation Time
Maybe a minor point, but it appears your mechanic did not use fuel injection type hose clamps on the fuel injection line coupled to your new fuel pump.
Hi,

I think you will find that they were installed as a precaution. If you have a look at the FAST website, they are a push on fitting with no hose clamps supplied in the kits. I know what you are saying though :) .

Regards, Robin.

atallamcs

Donation Time
Fuel economy

Not enought miles on the car to know if there is a vast increase in mpg. One video said a car that was getting 13 mpg is now at 18mpg? I made the switch because I live in the mountains and the carb noticed the increase in altitude. Now the car runs strong regardless of where I am and it is more crisp in terms of response. As for the fuel cell, well that is great for a race car and requires too much modification of a stock tiger--weld a few parts and be done with it.
Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Not enought miles on the car to know if there is a vast increase in mpg. One video said a car that was getting 13 mpg is now at 18mpg? I made the switch because I live in the mountains and the carb noticed the increase in altitude. Now the car runs strong regardless of where I am and it is more crisp in terms of response. As for the fuel cell, well that is great for a race car and requires too much modification of a stock tiger--weld a few parts and be done with it.
Bill

Hi Bill,

There is bound to be an improvement in fuel economy and if you can get an extra 5mpg that is great (that is an excellent improvement of nearly 40%). The FAST EZ-efi also has the ability to adjust your cruising A/F ratio as well. On a side note, thanks for sending the last lot of pictures. Very much appreciated.

Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Tank question.

In reference to the efi installation, the EZ-EFI talks about a vented tank in their instructions. Are the Twin tanks in the Alpines/Tigers Vented? My second question, is the cross-over tube between the tanks coated internally as per the tanks?

Thanks, Robin.

ducsingle

Donation Time
Duke, i thnk you will find he bought georges alger.. the first non-factory alger.

Correct, my Alpine was converted to Tiger specs by George F. I had looked at a couple of stock Alpines, but my Alger is a really great driver, I knew the previous two owners - - - and the V8 fun factor was appealing. I don't think there's any way I would attempt to do a V8 conversion on an Alpine myself as it's a tremendous amount of work.

At least for me, 250+ horsepower is more than sufficient, but I wouldn't mind the increased fuel range and overall better running that a fuel injection conversion would provide. Plus my Alger isn't a Tiger and never will be, so no hang ups about non-original modifications!

atallamcs

Donation Time
Latest photo

Here is a shot of the engine, no sign of the EFI solution. Remains stock looking. And to answer your question, yes you do run a return fuel line, (see earlier comments), fuel pump is outside the tank.
Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Here is a shot of the engine, no sign of the EFI solution. Remains stock looking. And to answer your question, yes you do run a return fuel line, (see earlier comments), fuel pump is outside the tank.
Bill

Very nicely hidden Bill. Any negatives in the system thus far or only positives? Just wondering as I can't find any bad reviews on this product.

Thanks, Robin.