• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fuel Injected Tiger

atallamcs

Donation Time
Anybody install the FAST EZ EFI on their Tiger? I am doing it now, requires a few extras--return fuel line, metal fuel lines, high pressure fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel regulator--looks very clean and fits nicely under original air filter housing. Will post a picture when complete and report results in terms of performance etc. Next week some time.
Bill

sunbeamowner

Bronze Level Sponsor
I haven't heard of that one but there is a forum on the powerjection 111 on a Mustang web site.

http://forum.justmustangs.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4801

Fuel system is a non return type so no return fuel pipe to worry about.
Majority of the wiring harness is ready to plug in.Just need to pick up a power supply & do some other minor wiring.
He claims the hardest part of the installation with some cars is drilling & welding a fitting into the engine pipe to fit the oxygen sensor.
The top of the EFI body is 4-5mm bigger than a Holly so the air filter needs slight modification.
The ECU is self learning but also comes with a program that can be loaded onto a laptop as in some cases minor triming is required for better idle & bottom end acceleration for engnes with a bit of work done to them.
And his final claim was that it had been fitted to a GT Falcon (possibly the one in the link below)and it used to use a tank of fuel each way from Melboune to a place he has somewhere outside the city.It now makes it there & back one one tank.

Attachments

• 70041[1] (Medium).jpg
    70041[1] (Medium).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 53

atallamcs

Donation Time
Fuel Injected

Sorry for the slow follow up regarding my Fuel Injected Tiger. I was out of town until now. I picked up the car after the installation of the FAST EZ EFI. It is nothing short of amazing.

Starts right up, idles perfect and accelerates like mad. Even better going from such wide range of altitude where I live near Tahoe. This is the key as it gets rid of the weakest part of the car, the carburetor. I cannot think of any one thing better to do than this to get a highly responsive performing TIGER. . . . and no gas smell!!!!!!!
Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
I cannot think of any one thing better to do than this to get a highly responsive performing TIGER. . . . and no gas smell!!!!!!!
Bill

So you are saying that you got the happy enjoyable feeling WITHOUT the gas smell? And here i was thinking the only reason i enjoyed the alpine and tiger so much was the fact I was high on the fumes! :p

atallamcs

Donation Time
tiger

Exactly, the fumes are a part of the "old car" deal, but it is nice to not smell anything now. You can concentrate on the sound of dual exhaust.
Bill

socorob

Donation Time
Is the fuel pump mounted in the tank, and did you have to plumb in return lines? Any pictures?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I haven't heard of that one but there is a forum on the powerjection 111 on a Mustang web site.

http://forum.justmustangs.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4801

Fuel system is a non return type so no return fuel pipe to worry about.
Majority of the wiring harness is ready to plug in.Just need to pick up a power supply & do some other minor wiring.
He claims the hardest part of the installation with some cars is drilling & welding a fitting into the engine pipe to fit the oxygen sensor.
The top of the EFI body is 4-5mm bigger than a Holly so the air filter needs slight modification.
The ECU is self learning but also comes with a program that can be loaded onto a laptop as in some cases minor triming is required for better idle & bottom end acceleration for engnes with a bit of work done to them.
And his final claim was that it had been fitted to a GT Falcon (possibly the one in the link below)and it used to use a tank of fuel each way from Melboune to a place he has somewhere outside the city.It now makes it there & back one one tank.

There is an article in the August 2010 Mustang Monthly showing the installation. A return line is required and it shows how to modify the existing sending unit to install it. It also has a clamp on O2 sensor so welding is not required. The neat thing is the ECU is a chip mounted on the throttle body so there is no drilling holes for a harness and box. The article said that with the air filter installed it looks like a high performance carb. The unit in the article was about $1900.

From the Retrotekspeed web site:

The basic unit (RT501-0750 or RT502-0750) can be used with no additional parts required on any vehicle already equipped with a fuel return line and EFI suitable fuel pump. For other vehicles, (RT503-0750 or RT504-0750) come with an EFI fuel pump, Fuel Pressure Regulator, and EFI post pump filter.

Here is the install instructions:

http://www.retrotekspeed.com/product_images/product-installation_pdf-52.pdf

agmason

Donation Time
"and no gas smell"

I always thought that the smell of unburned hydrocarbons wafting in the breeze as a 60's car goes by is part of the old car experience. If you remove that smell, you may as well remove the odor of jute from the interior! In my opinion, you may as well drive a car from the 1980's considering what you are missing.

atallamcs

Donation Time
Tiger

There are a dozen youtube videos on the FAST EZ EFI, take a peek to see what they say about installation and performance.

You need a return line so what my shop did was use the existing fuel line as the return since its diameter is small. A larger new line was tied into the cross over pipe. The high pressure fuel pump was located just under the trunk floor outside the car along with the filter.

Very clean installation and with the air filter in place you cannot tell. I also took advantage of the ECU that has other provisions and tied into it an electric fan. By the way, my tiger runs cool but the electric fan is just one more thing to do--it pushes over 2200cfm of air through the radiator and is an easy install.
Bill

socorob

Donation Time
On a recent muscle car tv show they installed a fast ex efi. It looked to be a clean and simple install. I read on another forum a guy switched from estrogen to fast. He said he liked the fast better and got more power on the dyno from it.

64beam

Donation Time
There are a dozen youtube videos on the FAST EZ EFI, take a peek to see what they say about installation and performance.

You need a return line so what my shop did was use the existing fuel line as the return since its diameter is small. A larger new line was tied into the cross over pipe. The high pressure fuel pump was located just under the trunk floor outside the car along with the filter.

Very clean installation and with the air filter in place you cannot tell. I also took advantage of the ECU that has other provisions and tied into it an electric fan. By the way, my tiger runs cool but the electric fan is just one more thing to do--it pushes over 2200cfm of air through the radiator and is an easy install.
Bill

Hi Bill,

Do you have any pictures of the installation? Have you had it on the dyno since the installation? The kit price seems very affordable and the best thing it fits under the Tiger's bonnet :) .

Thanks, Robin.

atallamcs

Donation Time
Fuel Injected Snap

Not much can be seen from this picture, but the EFI is fully installed and fits just as well as the carburetor. Maybe tomorrow a picture with the air cleaner off.
Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Not much can be seen from this picture, but the EFI is fully installed and fits just as well as the carburetor. Maybe tomorrow a picture with the air cleaner off.
Bill

Hi Bill,

Send as many as you like. I can look at pictures of your cars all day long :D . Were you involved with the installation?

Thanks, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Bill,

What size fuel lines are required? The video's make it look so easy, was it as simple as it is shown?

Regards, Robin.

atallamcs

Donation Time
Tiger

It is simple if you are an educated and experienced mechanic. Old school mechanics need not apply as a little EFI experience is needed so you will understand the directions.

I am not sure of the main fuel line but it appears about twice the size of the original line. You need to weld the new pipe into the metal tank cross over pipe, install a high pressure fuel pump and filter and fuel regulator. You also need to put in the O2 sensor. A lift is required!! It is quite simple but it was two days of my mechanic doing all the work.

Bill