• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Factory engine bay

inline_eric

Donation Time
Does anyone have pictures of how the engine bay looked in a 1967 series 5 Alpine...correct hoses and where they were laid out...any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Eric

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
michael, i'd like to see those also, if you would.

tom j

green67alpine at yahoo dot com

65beam

Donation Time
bay

keep in mind that there were two ways that the oil cooler lines were run depending on whether the car was early series 5 production or late. on early cars the lines came thru at the right horn. the left hose was attached to the hinge panel with a bolt. rootes had problems with lines failing due to rubbing the radiator support so they routed the left line out the left horn opening and over the engine.

bmohr

Gold Level Sponsor
This may be a dumb question, but never stopped me before!

In the picture labeled Kevin McLemore's SV engine 1, is that the fuel line (hose) running above the alternator? I'm speaking of the one that goes behind the thermostat housing. That's how my fuel is routed, but my engine bay is definitely not original so I wasn't sure if that was correct.

2nd question is in the other picture (labeled Kevin McLemore's engine 2) in the lower left there is a bolt going into the firewall (cowl?) just below the fender brace. There is a matching one on the other side of the engine bay not visible in the picture. What are those for? Sorry if this is hijacking the thread, it just seemed to fit in well with the topic.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,

1) Yes, the hose going over the alternator is the fuel line. I am 90% sure that is the original location.

2) second question, I do not see a bolt into the firewall under the brace. And when you refer to one on the other side that is not seen in the pic, I assume you are referring to something on your car.

What I see in the picture, on the firewall, under the brace, are 7 rubber plugs. one large one for the LHD steering wheel, two medium sized ones for the LHD brake and clutch masters, and 4 small ones for the mounting bolts for the masters. and on the other side you would see the RHD steering column, 2 masters, and 4 mounting bolts.

Tom

alpine_64

Donation Time
I know and see the bolts Bill is referring to, they are on all my cars to.. I have no idea what they are for...

buckalpine3

Donation Time
Bill,
This is my car which has 16,500 miles which I believe to be original and untouched. I, too, believe the gas line is in the original position over the alternator. I have moved it to behind the engine because I had thought it was contributing to poor running after the engine had warmed up and maybe vapor locking.

I checked the firewall bolts you mentioned and hadn't even noticed them until your post. My passenger side location doesn't have a bolt but has a grommet. The driver side has a bolt with the letter "S" at 12 o'clock and "auto" at 6 o'clock on the bolt face. Not sure what their function is.
Dave

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
I think those bolts you're referring to are the upper mount bolts for the pedal assemblies. There is a pair on either side to support rhd or lhd. I think the unused side usually has grommets.

65beam

Donation Time
bay

I can't see any bolts in the photo. my series 4 and two of our harringtons had a ground strap from the stud that presses in on the right hand side of the block to secure the bell housing. this was secured to a bolt in the area where the firewall makes the bend to mate up with the footwell. could it be for this or is the bolt up near the brace?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Oh, Do you mean the bolt that is "under" or "lower" in the photo but physically is next to the fender brace? I am 99% sure these have no function in the car. My guess is that they were used in handling the body during production or assembly. On my car the hole on the passenger side has a rubber grommet in it and the driver's side has a bolt. I may have put the grommet in on the passenger side.

Tom

bmohr

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for all the answers guys. For those who are understandably confused by my bolt description see the copy of the picture with the bolt circled. The answer that makes the most sense to me is what Tom said about being used in the manufacture process. There is another on the left hand side as well.

Attachments

• Engine_bay_02_with_circle.jpg
    Engine_bay_02_with_circle.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 85

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
It might make the most sense to you ... but it's wrong :eek:

It is like I said. It is the bolt that hold the top of the bracket that holds the brake pedal on...

inline_eric

Donation Time
just to keep this interesting thread going...there is another bolt hole on the other side of the firewall brace (brace is blocking it in the picture on the earlier thread)...this bolt and the bolt in the picture have rubber grommets on my car...these holes are also on the left side of the car, one to hold the brake fluid reservoir and the other to hold the brake pedal bracket. These holes make sense being the car is "ambidriveable"...:rolleyes: I just made that word up..I think.
Eric

RootesRooter

Donation Time
keep in mind that there were two ways that the oil cooler lines were run depending on whether the car was early series 5 production or late. on early cars the lines came thru at the right horn. the left hose was attached to the hinge panel with a bolt. rootes had problems with lines failing due to rubbing the radiator support so they routed the left line out the left horn opening and over the engine.

You sure about that? I'd always thought the routing remained the same throughout, but a service bulletin instructed dealers to install a new bracket (which the factory starting installing as well) to keep the hose going over the engine and through the left horn opening from chaffing on the radiator support.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
:p Hey any time. Anything for a former Legacy Drive compadre. I used to have employees on Legacy and visit frequently. They would laugh at me because I would stay at the Stonebriar and even though they all wanted to treat me to good ole Texas hospitality, I would insist at least one night I have a hamburger from room service at the Stonebriar - best hamburger on the planet. I don't know how they did it. But my suspicion is they grilled it in butter and pepper.