• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Electrical Issues: Voltage Stabilizer

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, as you've switched to negative ground, I think you are looking for dependability. I'd go with the one that has the reputation, Cool Cat Ed's.

Now that I've made the sales pitch, I have one of his that I'll sell, $15 plus shipping. It is one of his early ones, never installed. I decided to use the VDO Vision gauges and do not need it.

Bill

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Worth every penny Mike - I bought one years ago after going through a number of used, and two brand new stabilizers, and never had problems with my gauges again. Buy it!

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Sorry about the hijacking. I'll 'third' that recommendation on Ed's unit.
They're inexpensive, proven, and you really want to control the variables when you're troubleshooting electricals. It would be bad to get the MGC unit, or some other item that doesn't yet have a track record, and then spend a few more weeks figuring out it (possibly) contributes to a given problem. So go with Ed's unit. You can always change it out later on if the original look is important to you.

Ken

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'll also vote to go with Ed's unit. If it were me, I might go with the Moss Motor's unit because it uses the original style module plus I know I could fix it if it broke and I would find the "experiment" interesting. But for "Curley" it makes all the sense in the world to go with a device so well proven to members of this forum. But how about saving the old module. Maybe send it to me or someone who might someday put a solid state solution inside it.

Tom H

This thread seems to have just about run its course. And still no input from Nick O'Dell. Seems odd. He almost always joins in the electrical discussions and I always find his thoughts worthwhile - or at the very least "interesting"

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill:

Send me your address. If I recall, you live in Indiana and I'm in Tennessee. Does $5 for shipping sound fair?

Thanks,
Mike Pennell

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill:

I did. I've been traveling, so I'm just getting the old stabilizer ready to go out.

You should see it by the end of the week.

Mike Pennell