• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Early series shock conversion

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have recently converted the shocks on my series II to tube shocks. This conversion does not require any cutting , welding on the car and utilizes the original upper mount position and bolts.
I would like to know if other early car owners would be interested in this. If so I can provide details and would look into having a run of them made up if cost is reasonable.
My car rides and handles better than I thought it ever could [ new front shocks help also ].

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Sounds like a great "Feature of the Month" article whether or not you make up a kit.

I have an SII and might be interested in a kit. Cost matters of course.

jack Bacon

Donation Time
I am interested in the rear shock conversion also. Gary T on the forum converted to regular shocks but required some fabrication and welding.

Jack

alpine_64

Donation Time
I converted to telescopics about 11 years back.. at the time i looked at a few methods that had been done and took pics/measurements. There was a setup that used a mount from the existing lieve body to another mount off the bottom of the spring shackles.. however it gave a short shock.. i ended up welding brackets to the diff similar to the S3 onwards and made and welded brackets that went under the rear deck giving a longer shock and slihgt lean which helps a little.. i posted th epics to the forum many years back.. think they might b in the webshots album still... will look for links later.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Michael, what you described in the 1st part of your post is what I did. The bottom mount is on the u-bolt plate under the axle , extended back about 2 1/2 " and dropped about the same to the center of the shock stud. The shock mounts just behind the e brake rod, going up to the top mount at about an estimated 15 degree angle. On the curb , shock length is 13 1/3" center to center of studs and allowing about 3 inches of up/down play each way. The ride is so much better than the lever shocks, I was " shocked ".
I wondered about the angle of the shock and whether or not it might damage the seals but so called local experts didn't think it was an issue.
I also wanted to avoid any more cutting and welding and considered using a Ser.III axle housing but the lower mount is too far inboard to use the original upper mount.
Just so no one thinks I fabricated this set up, I did buy it , taken off a SerII car that had been set up for racing, years ago . Thanks Jim. That car also had a set of Traction Masters which I have cleaned up and installed new neoprene bushes, but I will not be using them; if anyone is interested let me know.
I am sure there are good engineering reasons for the factory tube set up but for now I am happy w/ the results of the bolt on set up.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don't know if this will give adequate shock length on an early series, but it works quite well on a Series V and requires no welding on the axle tube.
IMG_0717.jpg

Here is photo from the front.
IMG_0723.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
I found the pics to my conversion.. though i will repeat what i said when i first saw toyanvils setup a couple of years back... i would replicate what he has done.. minimal modification and very neat ( a much more refined versio nof other bolt in setups i had seem.

here was/is my setup.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I like both those set up's. Looks like Toyanvils set up is a bit longer.
Beautiful cars but how did you get the early top on the late car??
I will try to post some pictures of the shock set up I have.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hey Bill thats what Im looking to do with my 67 , with the 8 inch. What shock are you using? mike

68 Camaro 350, front and rear. Dimensionally, they are interchangeable with the stock shock. I am using a Monroe gas shock, they cost a little over $100 for a set of four at Advance Auto. They are not a performance shock, but are a good choice for a cruiser. Tame the ride and still offer decent control. We use the car for long trips and the shocks are simply great when looking at 600 mile days.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
shocks

the conversion to one of our harringtons was done by a dealer in the D.C. area in the 60's. they switched to a rear axle housing from a series 4 which made it much easier since it had the lower shock mounts. they welded plates in the area where the later cars had the top bolts of the shock go thru the body. looking at michael's drawings it looks possible that the bottom bushings would wear very quickly due to the angle of the shock on the mounting bolt. wonder why michael retained the rebound straps?

alpine_64

Donation Time
the conversion to one of our harringtons was done by a dealer in the D.C. area in the 60's. they switched to a rear axle housing from a series 4 which made it much easier since it had the lower shock mounts. they welded plates in the area where the later cars had the top bolts of the shock go thru the body. looking at michael's drawings it looks possible that the bottom bushings would wear very quickly due to the angle of the shock on the mounting bolt. wonder why michael retained the rebound straps?

Bottom bushes are fine and its been over 10 years since the conversion.. and those who have been in the car know i dont hang around in the corners (even less so since i did the conversion, no more axel hopping when you hit corrigations mid corner which the lever arms had a habbit of allowing)

... as for the rebound straps.. they are not doing any harm.. so left them there.

alpine_64

Donation Time
michael,
just out of curiosity, what do you drive for an every day car?

I used to drive the alpine as my daily car from uni till about 12 months back.. now that i am at an office where i dont have access to a parking space i just catch transport.. only 25mins door to door.. couldnt do that in peak hour traffic even if i had the car space.. so the sunbeam goes back to leisure duties.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
P.S. the rear end is a Datsun, I welded on the swaybar mounts and the original Alpine parking brake.
13456988_gXr56-M.jpg

13456989_LBoR7-M.jpg

13456990_QCA2s-M.jpg

On a other note, my front shocks are KYB Gas-a-Just Shocks KG4528 from a 1980-1983 Chrysler Cordoba. They will bolt right on Ser I and II no mods.