• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Early series shock conversion

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Since my last post on the shock conversion kit I am close to getting a quote on fabrication costs. Slowing down this was thoughts of not doing it after having a lot of trouble finding suitable shouldered weld studs, however I found a shop w/in 5 miles of my house who agreed to make them to needed specs at a reasonable cost. Quotes for them varied between $20.00 ea. down to $5.00, for the same bolt, which is a $60.00 variance for a kit, just for the studs.
I expect to get a call before weeks end on the fab. cost for making the mount plates.

So, if any of you Series I-II owners are interested I will set up a list, by
name, date and time for the first 10 sets and as soon as I know the actual cost I will notify you and you can decide if you want to buy a set.

This conversion is a bolt on, quick change, and does not require and cutting or welding on your car. You will have a wide choice of shocks limited only by
dimension [ expanded- collapsed ] of the shock.

I looked at rebuild cost for the Armstrong lever style and it looks to be about
$105.00 to $125.00 per shock for rebuilding w/o a core replacement.
I am hoping to keeps this kit under one Franklin.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Early Series Shock conversion Kits

An order has been placed for 10 sets of conversion mounts. Given the way things go we are probably looking at one month + if everything goes well.
I would like those who wanted a set to forward to me the following information in order to expedite shipping;
name
address
e-mail address.

Should there be any delay from the above I will post a notice.

Thanks every one and a Happy New Year of smooth cruising

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Early Series Shock conversion Kits Update

The first run of weld studs were delivered to the fabricator on Friday and the flat stock ordered. I am not looking for a 10 day turn around as one of the shop guys has been busted up in a wreck and another has a new baby in the house.
When I picked up the weld studs I was informed that the next run, assuming there will be one, will be more costly, as the milling process was more time consuming than was estimated. I think if the cost can be kept under $10.00 it is still a pretty good deal as the next lowest quote I got was $12.00 each.
Shipping to the lower 48 will be $10.95 via USPO, flat rate service.
As for payment I actually prefer a check or postal money order over Paypal but if you have to use PP I can live w/ it.
I will PM each of you w/ my mail address before shipping.

whoizrob

Donation Time
These are for S2 cars...

But I have a 4, do you think these will work too? Looking to tighten up the handling on the car but honestly haven't dove under it to try and sort it out yet...

Rob

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Rob,

The Series IV doesn´t use friction shocks, they use the more modern tubular telescoping shocks, so this conversion isn´t necessary. What this conversion does, is convert to the tubular shocks, which you already have.

Jose

whoizrob

Donation Time
Good to know...

Sorry but I've pretty much worked everyday since I have had the car and hadn't had a chance to crawl under her yet. I did, however, download all the manuals and am picking through them whenever I get a free moment at work =P

So I suppose going over to a QA1 or similar shock is a simple swap and bolt on...? Left rear of the car felt a bit spongier than the other corners, might be due for a refresh...

Rob

RMC

Donation Time
I have recently converted the shocks on my series II to tube shocks. This conversion does not require any cutting , welding on the car and utilizes the original upper mount position and bolts.
I would like to know if other early car owners would be interested in this. If so I can provide details and would look into having a run of them made up if cost is reasonable.
My car rides and handles better than I thought it ever could [ new front shocks help also ].
I know this is a old post. But I have a seriesII I want to do.