• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

DuraPine II

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Finally got the 1 1/4" elbow. FedEx claimed to have delivered it, but I have not seen it. After a couple of trips around the Merry Go Round with FedEx, they told me I had to file a claim with the shipper. Absolutely no problem. Called Jegs, a sweet sounding female solved my problem in less than 5 minutes. Received the replacement ell three days later. Been busy with the trans shifter, so the radiator had been collecting dust. Today was the day I sawed the upper outlet to length, sawed the end off the ell and glued them together with epoxy. Here is the result:
IMG_7122.JPG

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I used Do It Best Steel Epoxy. It is a thick liquid, packaged in twin syringes. It is liquid enough it can be mixed and applied with a small spatula. Rated at 2500 psi, but the reason I bought it is its temperature rating, which I believe was over 300 F. As to whether or not it will hold it or how long it holds it, remains to be seen. Right now its looking great.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Lower outlet gets the same treatment. The new (1 1/4") outlet was cut out of a hunk of 2" stainless. The original outlet was 1 3/4".

IMG_7123.JPG
Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mounting brackets made and glue on, using the same epoxy. I sure hope this stuff is good. The brackets were made to fit the stock mounting holes. Here is a photo of it completed and removed from the car, as well as the custom fit lower radiator hose.
IMG_7124.JPG
Nest up - the fan shroud. But first, time to finish the gear shifter and work some more on the transmission tunnel.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Gear shifter. Here is the final incarnation of a '86 Aerostar floor mounted automatic shifter. The shifter rod has been shortened (twice), the shifter lever cut off and another welded on and it controls a shifter rod instead of shifter cable. IMG_7125.JPG

Here it is mounted on the drive tunnel. The arm rest and lower dash installed support set in place for perspective.
IMG_7126.JPG

Finally, a pic of the fan shroud "in process". The large sheet with fan holes is 1/8" tempered aluminum. Need to get started on the fan mount, but have to wait on a hardware store run for 1" aluminum angle. The fans are 10", which meet the "fanus maximus" definition.

IMG_7127.JPG

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mr Bill, I like the idea of the "platform" for the shifter to be mounted separate from the transmission, if that is what I am seeing.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, that is what your seeing. It is mounted on the tunnel, which I'm rebuilding with .062" sheet metal. Just about ready to close up the drivers side. The passenger side was closed two or three weeks ago. Very sturdy.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Repaired the floor below the accelerator. The car has had new floors installed over rusted out originals. The front new floors are plain sheet metal, rather poorly installed. Take the floor, couple with the cutout that James did for the GM T5, add a bunch of rust and you have a bad situation. This is my solution. At least everything is fastened together and I can start on replacing the side of the tunnel. No epoxy used.
IMG_7128.JPG

But first, I have to see if I can get the 3 hp motor on my air compressor to start. Looked at the capacitor, it was cracked so I replaced it. Motor just hums.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mr Bill, I too have been repairing floor metal (rust) and other body stuff needing attention in the BW35 GT.

HAving fun too:)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Pulled the bell end of the motor. Everything looks good, I'd guess it is a winding problem. In my experience (limited) rewinding cost as much as a new motor. Maybe if I could teach it the words it would quit humming!
Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
No, but thanks for the link. I had "checked" the points, but did not realize that I was looking at non electrical contacts. Just finished cleaning the electrical contact points to no avail. Get a harsh, metallic hum, not the genteel hum of a motor trying to start. It sounds more like metal banging together at 60 cycles.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Fan shroud completed, here is a photo of the shroud and fans mounted on the radiator.
IMG_7129.JPG

And everything setting in the car. No room to spare, but there is enough. That is not always the case. Engine room is getting filled up.
IMG_7130.JPG

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Got the steering installed. The interior steering column was fashioned out of an Alpine gear whose worm was judged to be a lost cause. I used the steering shaft and column.The steering wheel and turn signal will be Alpine. The Toyota steering is in the recycle pile.
IMG_7131.JPG IMG_7132.JPG
To me, this was a very big hurdle.
Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Looks strong enough. Now I need to send you a bottom piece to the steering column:)