• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dual brake master cylinders as in 2 anyone do it?

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I am still looking into running a dual brake system on my Ser II. I have a Toyota Prius brake master cylinder that should work, I just don't like the look if it. I started looking at running 2 Wilwood M/C side by side, this way I can run different size bores front and back. I think they will also look more period correct. Has anyone tried this? or know if it will work?
Here is the M/C
wilwood%20260-6088-M.jpg

I am also thinking about welding a mount to hold one of these into my pedal.
Spherical%20Bearing-S.jpg

And these on the M/C
rod%20end-S.jpg

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Racers do it all the time. MGB usually run 3/4" on both and adjust the bias bar. Wilwood used to have instructions on the setup. What do you have for front brakes?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Toy, 65beam posted a PIC of a pair of Master Cylinders mounted side by side a few days ago in the Harrington post.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
John,
I'm using a dual master from a Nissan F-10. I sourced it from Rock Auto, if memory serves.
Here's a shot of it in the car with the V6.

Cheers!
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_0252.JPG
    IMG_0252.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 113

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Toy, 65beam posted a PIC of a pair of Master Cylinders mounted side by side a few days ago in the Harrington post.

A picture from the back side of the firewall would be a lot more interesting.

John,
I'm using a dual master from a Nissan F-10. I sourced it from Rock Auto, if memory serves.
Here's a shot of it in the car with the V6.

Cheers!
Steve

The F-10 unit is a tandem master cylinder. Dual master cylinder has a completely different meaning.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I think it would be easier to find a unicorn then a F10 M/C. I am going to start with the spacing, wider would by better for the balance bar. 2.5 inches is what I need center to center, I think I am only going to get 2" if I am lucking. If I can get at less 2" I will weld a balance bar like this to my stock pedal and go from there.
72-250.jpg

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Tilton sent me a form to fill out to size the M/C s I will need. Anyone know the brake pedal ratio if a Series 2 or know how to do the math?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I believe the master cyl bore was .700. I know MGB was 4 to 1 for later power brakes and 6 to 1 for older manual. RX7 had 7/8 or 15/16 Master but when power brake usually they are a size larger. I bet .750 for your rear would be just right.
This thread has the math:
http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?40,2261400

Last edited:

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
That's interesting, I have looked on and off for one over the years. When I would find one to order, they would require you to send in your core to rebuild. It looks like they are building new ones. I should know this week what size bores I need, if 3/4 will work front and back that would be an easy way to do it.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Scan_20180130.jpg
Tilton sent me a form to fill out to size the M/C s I will need. Anyone know the brake pedal ratio if a Series 2 or know how to do the math?

Check Wilwoods site they should have the info you need, its just a simple measurement from the pivot points. I scanned this in you'll get a little info from it doesn't quite fit in the scanner.

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor

The math is easy; divide the distance from the top pivot point on the brake pedal arm to the center of the foot pedal by the distance from the top pivot point on the brake pedal arm to the MC rod clevis attachment point.

Measuring those distances is easy with the brake pedal arm out of the car and difficult with the brake pedal arm in the car.

On the brake pedal arm that came with my S-V, the distances are about 12" and 3" and the ratio is about 4:1.

No idea if my brake pedal arm is correct for a S-V or if the S-II brake pedal arm is the same or different.

Last edited:

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Thank you, my Series 2 worked out 4.23:1. I should know today what size bore I need for front and back. It would be nice if the 3/4" worked for both and I can pick-up a F10 M/C.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
It looks like a 3/4" will work with the brake pistons front and back. Thanks' to Ken, I have ordered a F10 from Summit. With this set-up I will use a Wilwood proportioning valve, this will also help with running new brake lines and brake light switch.
260-11179-lg.jpg

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Toyanvil,

Neat looking hardware, but I am not clear about why you need a proportioning valve.

What performance benefit do you expect?