• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Drivability mods

the ghoul

Donation Time
hu, it seems like its six of one half dozen of the other on the points vs electronic ignition... it seems though that the common consensus is upgrade the coil....

What do you all recommend on the electrical as far as swapping from the 6v positive ground system to 12v negative ground? I know we ran across some good suggestions to upgrade to the best battery you can afford, and an alternator instead of a generator. But what else is involved in a 12v negative ground conversion?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Two Speed,

Electronic ignition is better in all respects, in comparison to the old points system. I recommend using the Ford factory, Dura Spark and Dura spark II systems, in the V6 conversion. Ford has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars, to develop them. They are reliable and can save you lots of money in maintenance, and fuel costs. The Dura Spark systemm does infrequently fail, but I recommend carrying an extra brain box in the trunk, for that rare possibility that the one you're using fails. If you wire it in right, , it wouldn't take you more than ten minutes to swap out the box, and you're down the road again. Points worked well for many years, but the factory electronic system is far superior to them.

Jose :)

EdSua

Donation Time
Dura Spark

If I were to get the Dura Spark electronic ignition system parts out of a wrecking yard, which parts are necessery and which cars can be donors.
Thanks,
Ed

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Gotta remember to carry my Hagarty card when the Alpine is back on the road. I've got around 200,000 miles on my Alpine and it's made it home under it's own power every time, including all four SUNI's, but I know there's going to be that "one time," when I'm out in the middle of nowhere...

;) Go for the Roadside Assistance Plus with Hagarty does cost a little more then the AAA but it also can be used on any vehicle you own. They will send a flatbed truck for you Alpine, that is good news!
3 - 125 mile tows in a year, that should pay for the insurance :rolleyes:

http://www.hagerty.com/

Donna
:D

RootesRacer

Donation Time
If I were to get the Dura Spark electronic ignition system parts out of a wrecking yard, which parts are necessery and which cars can be donors.
Thanks,
Ed

Just about any ford/mercury/lincoln from 75 up till they went fuel injection.

77 on was the duraspark II, which has a different coil than the earlier and it is considered a hotter, higher voltage spark.

Keep in mind on at least duraspark II, the primary wire from the box to the coil is resistance wire, and failure to use that wire or a ballast resistor will kill the box faster than it would have done on its own.

saltykracker

Donation Time
I have not been on the road yet, but heat was always an issue in the tiger, I put the fresh air vents from a series V in the cowling, used lizard skin on the interior floor and firewalls and had the headers jet hot coated. I also changed Mr. Lucas for ez wire 12 fuse system.