• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cool New Wheels

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
These new Vision Nitro wheels are available in 4X4.25 Sunbeam pattern.

Attachments

• vision_521h_15x8-1605-975-00-500.jpg
    vision_521h_15x8-1605-975-00-500.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 83

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
5 lug wheels for Cobra wheel look

I'm going 5 lug 15" wheels and can't decide between the Vision Torque (Halibrand type) or the Cragar Eliminator (early Cobra type). Both would have 3 bar center knockoff.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Cragar Eliminator.jpg
    Cragar Eliminator.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Cragar is the only way to go;)

Wish I had them available in 4 bolt for the Alpine when I bought the 15x7" wheels I'm running on the Commodore Blue V6.

loose_electron

Donation Time
Since we are talking wheels...

My S2 has wire wheels and the associated splined hubs.

Personally I prefer the simplicity of alloy wheels.

How major a headache is converting from wire wheels to the 4 bolt hubs?

Are the changeover parts easily available?

Thanks,
Jerry

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I changed mine about 15 years ago and never looked back. The only difficulty is removing the rear hubs, which has been covered multiple times here. It takes a strong puller and sometimes requires heat. The parts are available, although not plentiful. The good news is that unlike wire hubs, bolt-on hubs are rarely worn or damaged.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The difference in the Series rear axles also plays apart in the exchange.

All hubs are interchangeable except for the Series V rears....

The dia of the SV's axle is a bit larger.

DanR

P.S. Jerry, with you running the V6 it might be better to up grade to a SV rear axle because of it being a bit stronger than the earlier series.

Last edited:

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
The difference in the Series rear axles also plays apart in the exchange.

P.S. Jerry, with you running the V6 it might be better to up grade to a SV rear axle because of it being a bit stronger than the earlier series.

Good advice - and be sure to use hardened axle keys... I converted my wires wheels a few years back - as Jim indicated, the biggest challenge is pulling the hubs. I used Kroil to help with the removal after a couple of days of frustration. The Kroil worked....

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Cool New Whhels

Jerry,
If you are running a V6, now would be the time to at least consider swapping the entire axle.

Potential Advantages:

Better ratio
Disc brakes
Better parts availability
limited slip/posi

Definitely more time and $$, but at least give it some thought.

TR

loose_electron

Donation Time
Swapping to disc brakes in the back would be a big plus. I do want to get rid of the wire wheels, but it is going to wait for the moment.

At the moment, I want to finish the end to end electrical rebuild, and get it back on the road. After that , can start gathering knowledge, parts and pieces to R&R the wire wheels and other items.

The car is now rewired end to end and the dashboard is all rewired. Next step is all the under the dash wiring. Have added 4X emergency flashers, turn signal indicators, new turn signal switch, variable brightness gauge lights, crank/run/acc idiot lights, and an embedded-hidden kill system. (impossible to old school hot wire)

Sound system is an MP3 player, totally hidden, and putting in some USB plugs for phone charging again totally hidden.If you can see it, it looks old school, nothing modern is visible.

Dashboard front face is a wood grain Formica, looks nice but should be able to take many years of dirty fingers. There's a lady on EBay that does metal toggle switch labels. It is more of a re-design than a restoration.

A picture is worth a thousand words:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/OonrERlsXgyWwS9k1

Last edited:

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I've been considering the Formica approach, primarily due to its expediency and cost, and probably weatherproof-ness. Did you spray with a UV protectant coating on install?

loose_electron

Donation Time
https://photos.app.goo.gl/OonrERlsXgyWwS9k1

Let's see if the above photo link works.

OonrERlsXgyWwS9k1

loose_electron

Donation Time
I've been considering the Formica approach, primarily due to its expediency and cost, and probably weatherproof-ness. Did you spray with a UV protectant coating on install?

Did not see a need. Formica is designed to take a lot of abuse and as you can see in the picture (prior link) it looks pretty nice in the fake wood grain.

Re-drilled the dash after filling in old holes with Bondo. After redrill of everything contact adhesive a sheet of formica over the whole thing, and then drill out the Formica as per the holes in the plywood dash.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jerry, Do you have the dash tabs (behind the panel) to hold in controls?

I sell a duplicate of the originals $30

Of course you can make your own using the old dash as an example.

Here are a few PIC's:

Dash tabs and an old wood dash from my '65 SIV GT that all the cover was removed. I utilized it to make a pattern for my '67 SV out of walnut that was cut about 50 years ago from family farm.

Attachments

• 20170518_183211 (380x285).jpg
    20170518_183211 (380x285).jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Sunbeam Alpine Dash Work20 (320x240).jpg
    Sunbeam Alpine Dash Work20 (320x240).jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Sunbeam ALpine Dash Work24 (320x240).jpg
    Sunbeam ALpine Dash Work24 (320x240).jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 20170917_145754 (460x276).jpg
    20170917_145754 (460x276).jpg