• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Comfortable RPM's

Hodee

Donation Time
I have a stock Ser V Alpine and I'm sure the Tach is not "perfect" but out of curiosity, What would you believe to be a comfortable cruising rpm? Yes, it's a422 rearend but with large diameter 225/60/15 rears slightly over 25 inch dia. so I know the speedo is off too. I'm not trying to do 80 mph just a comfy rpm range. Thanks.

alpine_64

Donation Time
In theory 3800 rpm at 60mph was a stock 3.89 non o/d so the cars can sit at 3800 comfortably.. maybe your ears cant though... the cars feel relaxed at about 3200rpm i find.

Hodee

Donation Time
Wonder how that would translate for a 4.22? I guess 4800-5000 is out of the question for a well running 1725? I typically use that as a shift point but not too sure about cruising. the motor sure sounds good there though.

alpineracer

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a stock Ser V Alpine and I'm sure the Tach is not "perfect" but out of curiosity, What would you believe to be a comfortable cruising rpm? Yes, it's a422 rearend but with large diameter 225/60/15 rears slightly over 25 inch dia. so I know the speedo is off too. I'm not trying to do 80 mph just a comfy rpm range. Thanks.

Hi! I was wondering if you had run the math....

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Wonder how that would translate for a 4.22? I guess 4800-5000 is out of the question for a well running 1725? I typically use that as a shift point but not too sure about cruising. the motor sure sounds good there though.

If it does, I'd suggest you take a look at your tach. You say your tach is not "perfect", do you have any idea how "imperfect" it might be? If you've never checked it against a good tach, I'm betting you will be surprised.

Bill

Hodee

Donation Time
getting the tach checked is on my to do list. I am hoping it is way off as many of them are, so I could feel more comfortable about the engine while doing 65 mph or so. Have not done the math yet but printed out the post that explains engine rpm and distance by marking on the driveway.

alpineracer

Diamond Level Sponsor
Math with that tire size:

rpms mph
1000 18
2000 36
3000 54
3500 63
4000 72
5000 90
6000 108

Can send the .xls

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a 1725 in my SII. The engine feels 'comfortable' to about 4200 rpm, although I might not want to do that all day. Somehow it feels better if the OD is driving the 3.89 rear end with stock wheels, otherwise too noisy.

Hodee

Donation Time
I love this forum. Thanks to all. Now I feel better about 65 on the highway,especially with the bigger wheel/tire selection. Besides, I like the look better too. Just my opinion. See attached photo if I can get it to work.

Attachments

• mycar.JPG
    mycar.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 53

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have a dead stock SV. I have no idea if the motor bottom end has ever seen daylight, I did the valves a couple of years ago. I have a Tom H tach that I trust and hit the numbers quoted below. It scares me to death to run that old engine at 3500-3800 on the highway for any length of time; afraid I will throw a rod. Should I worry about that? Does't appear you folks are.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
I have noticed that any RPM under 4000 seems to be ok for the 1725 motors. My Alpine V had a 4.22 rear end and at 4000 rpm I was doing 60mph, our cars in stock condition are not made for todays highway speeds, that's why I installed a 5 speed box. Now at 3500 rpm I am doing 72mph that keeps me in line with highway traffic. :cool: Just sayin!

An OD would give you about the same results.

Last edited:

RootesRooter

Donation Time
cars stock are not made for todays highway speeds,

I don't think Series V's with 4.22's were made for 1966 U.S. freeways, where 70mph speed limits were the norm.

alpineracer

Diamond Level Sponsor
Found this data:
Power & Torque
The Alpine has a peak horsepower output of 81 HP @ 5,200 RPM. Maximum torque available is 93 ft-lbs @ 3,600 RPM.

If true, IMHO, cruising at peak torque is efficient and reliable.

Eric

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
RPM is relative and subjective. I remember having no problem "cruising" on the freeway in the early 80s at 4200 rpm. Now a days with cars so quiet and smooth, it seems a bit more busy than it used to. But I also notice that when I'm driving on the freeway, when 65 seems high in the rpm range, as time goes on, I'm well over 70 and not even noticing the rpm.

But I have to add that in the 80s, I couldn't wait to give it more power. All the while, my dad kept saying to get an OD. Then around 90 I rebuilt it with Holbay head, cam and Webers. It was a great change. But then I finally got an OD. It was so much more of a change than the whole Holbay set up. Truly reformed the car. Even then, when I was fine with running higher rpm all day, I appreciated how much nicer it was.

Hodee

Donation Time
I'm contemplating an OD but also struggle with changing the originality of the car. Currently all numbers match, original paint with only a few mods such as wheels and aftermarket steering wheel for more leg room. Just trying to decide if I need to go 80 on the freeway.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Originality? Are you saying because you won't put a 5 speed in? You could put in a stock Alpine tranny and OD.

Or are you concerned because your car didn't come that way from the factory? I've had my Alpine for 35 years. I'd love to think Alpines have finally gotten their due, and are worth lots of money. But, at least from my viewpoint, they have never really been discovered, and it's now after that 30 year window when cars are supposed to be worth their most. I'm not seeing people pu pu Alpines because they are not exactly as they came from the factory.

So for goodness sakes, add the OD if you want. If anything, I think it will increase its value.

My $.02.